WAG Split Jump Replacements/Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xcelerate

Coach
Gymnast
What are some good replacements for split jumps for a gymnast that is fairly flexible (has over 180 switch leap on floor) but just can't get her front leg up and her back leg straight. Open to any suggestions!!! (Skills, drills, tips, ect!) Just trying to hit platinum split requirement! (Currently hovering around 125-130 with a very low front leg and a bent back leg)

Here’s my tips as a gymnast that used to struggle with leaps- first of all don’t avoid the split jumps/leaps, there not needed but they help a lot on beam and floor to use at least one split position somewhere in the routine. As an alternative straddle jumps are always useful but they get a lot of deductions if not done with open legs and chest up.

What I would work on is:

1. You may have your split but if your back knee is not rolled under you don’t really have a proper full split making it more likely to bend without enough flexibility.

2. To get the front leg up just do lots of front kicks, heck even walk around school doing kicks if your not embarrassed….

3. Try using resistance bands on your legs. Do small straight leg split jumps to build muscle, and slowly work to hitting full split on trampoline, then floor.

4. This may all fail and not click for years, I did tons of drills and finally after about 4 years something just clicked and I have perfect leaps now, be patient and at the end of the day remember everyone has there things they can do, not everyone will be good at everything.

5. Straddle jump wise of you decide to work on them start with lots on trampoline and connected on floor for practice snapping your legs up and down aggressively. Make sure to have your legs come up directly to the side- not I front of you and piling your hips, this looks and scores really awful.

Let me know if you’d like any more tips or have any more leap questions! Good luck I feel the struggle 😢

What are some good replacements for split jumps for a gymnast that is fairly flexible (has over 180 switch leap on floor) but just can't get her front leg up and her back leg straight. Open to any suggestions!!! (Skills, drills, tips, ect!) Just trying to hit platinum split requirement! (Currently hovering around 125-130 with a very low front leg and a bent back leg)
*on beam!

*on beam!
My bad, it was late when I read this! But I still think all that applies. On floor if you can hit a 180 split you can do it on beam but if your back knee is turned out, or your split is usually crooked in general in will cause issues. I would still try the drills and see if it helps or just watch and see if it’s more fear or just a crooked split.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back