Staying in shape with an injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey guys. I'm posting this here because even though I'm an adult gymnast and coach, I'm guessing a lot of you will have experience with this. I fractured my ankle in 4 places a few days ago. I'm not to put any pressure on it for the next 6 weeks. I want to stay in shape while I'm not able to walk, I'm just trying to get ideas of how to do this. Thanks!!!!

The only aerobic activity I can think of off the top of my head would be maybe swimming? That won't work if you are in a cast though. I guess a lot of conditioning, sit up's, leg lifts on the bar, pull up's. Good luck, hope you heal up fast!
Ya i think to you just need to put on a cast

Ouch 4 places? That's nasty! Yep lots of conditioning because there's not a lot else you can do! Work abs and upper body. A lot of things hanging of bars like leg lifts, pull ups, levers but making sure you have someone to help you get down/ an easy way to get down so you have no weight on your ankle. Work a lot of things like sit ups, crunches, v ups, back raisers for your abs. Also do some leg work but things where you dont put weight on it so mainly things lying down like cycling on your back, leg lifts, things like that. It's really hard to stay in shpe when you have an injury particularly a lower limb one becuase there's barely any aerobic activity you can do. So I'd just try and keep your muscles in as good a shape as possible and make sure you rest your ankle so it can heal and you can get back to fitness as soon as possible!

Hey I have fractured my elbow (chipped the head off of one of the joints), had to get surgery and will be out of gym for 7 more weeks. I'm getting my cast off in a few days then it will be 2 weeks in just a sling, then 4 weeks of conditioning my arm. I was just wondering if you knew what I could do while I'm in my cast/sling? I know the other person made the topic but it will be useful to me to! Thanks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back