Stretching/flexibility homework?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

GymGran

Gym/dance coach gave G-DD directions for homework that included stretching and work on her flexibility for 30 minutes per day.
Very non-specific for a L4/6yo kindergartner ?? She thinks sitting in a split, or in a hand-stand while watching Sponge Bob works.
Do you have any ideas on exactly what she should be doing so that her time is spent productively?
How are 'hips squared' in a split?
Should she warm-up before stretching or is the stretching in itself considered warming-up?
MOST IMPORTANT...this homework needs to be considered FUN TIME outside of GYM TIME.

Hips squared in split refers to front split. Basically the belly button should point forward and not off to the side.

A simple warmup like jumping jacks, jump rope, squat thrusts/burpees or lunges and yoga sun salutation is a good idea before stretching. Tissue is more supple when blood is pumping through it and the tissue is heated (though sauna/spa can be used). It's also safer in general.

Focused 30 minutes may be a bit much for a 6yo. Kind of depends on the kid. Just encourage her to do it a few times and allow her to get out of it when she feels like. Of course you could egg her on by saying you could do it longer, but again that really depends on the kid. Some kids might take to it, some may find it negative and some may make YOU DO IT! :p

Other good stretches are pancake split, pike stretch, butterfly or froggie splits. Or planks or hollow/arch holds during commercials.

Our gym gives us a conditioning and stretching list with boxes to check things off after we have completed them. It is very helpful and keeps us in good shape. You should ask her coach to recommend some exercises for her.

Just tell her that everytime she is watching tv or something like that, that she should sit in a straddle, butterfly, splits, etc..thats what my coaches told me when I was little. It's a good habit to get into as well!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back