switching your hands during glid kip ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymgirly1

I just stared the glide kip a little while ago and its getting there i just need to get my hand on top of the bar !!!!

I just can,t seem to get them on top of the bars soon enough to kip up ? everything ells is pretty much set!

Is there any drills to help pop get my hands on top of the bar sooner ...that are effective ?

I'd have to see a video to say for sure what you need to do, but the two most common errors I see on a kip are going to early and gripping too tightly.

First, make sure you are starting the kip from the top of your glide swing, not on the way up; a kip doesn't happen on the way forward, it happens on the way back.

Second, grip the bar loosely. If you have the grip of death, your wrists will get stuck on the bottom of the bar, which often creates the illusion that you are pushing away from the bar when you finish the kip. Grip the bar loosely, and your hands will naturally start peeling off the bar as you kip -- which sets you up perfectly to regrip to the top.

You may also want to make sure you are putting your hands over the bar as much as you can when you first grip the bar. This will usually keep them from getting too far under the bar when you finish your glide and begin your kip.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back