Parents Talk to me about T & T

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flip4funmom

Proud Parent
My son weslan just turned 5 (I have posted about him before) and was in love with the traditional gymnastics format. I recently found out without notice (since we're not team yet) that they have switched their competitive boys team over to T&T. My son and I aren't sure how we feel about this. He doesn't grasp the whole thing just asked me why he's not doing equipment to at practice anymore. They recently hired 2 great coaches and purchased a "official trampoline" this whole aspect of gymnastics is new to me. I have a few reservations about it based on his physical limitations/needs but don't want to pull him from a program he loves before I know all the info. So I'm asking for you all to share any and all information you know. How is training/competing? Is this the way all men's gymnastics is headed?

How odd! They just switched, as a whole, from one discipline to another without warning? I would say have your son give it a try- it really is lots of fun for many kids- but if he really wants to do artistic then start looking at alternatives. Are there other boys gym programs near you?

I guess it's not a complete switch because the intermediate boys program (he's in now) is still marketed as traditional boys. We had a very small boys team as it was and I guess the boys were interested in the switch so they cut their losses at least short term. He says he likes it but he has femoral anteversion which affects his hips/knees/ankles. When he does to much tumbling (at home or gym) he starts to complain about pain. We weren't seeing that when he would train on all equipment. Boys programs are very limited even though I live in a big city. I hate having to make this choice for him but he really wants to compete which I think he can in January (if I understand the rules correctly) so we need to decide soon before upping his hours or finding a new gym.

I'm not familiar with his condition, but would trampoline actually be better for his joints? He could forego the power tumbling event, which is what my daughter does due to wrist problems.

His condition is caused by the thigh bones being turned in instead of straight. He was born that way but we were unaware until about 18 months ago after we completed treatment for blounts disease (bowing of legs caused by growth plate issue below the knee). Trampoline probably would yes but the problem we've noticed on tramp is since his feet turn in and his legs bend out instead of back he struggles with balance and staying in the center of the tramp. These are things that are less noticeable/he's learned to compensate on with traditional equipment. I don't know if adjustments can be made on tramp. I didn't realize skipping tumbling was an option. I will talk to his coach and see what his options are. He enjoys tumbling g but physically can't handle it at the level they train at right now. (He is also at least 2 1/2 yrs younger than anyone else in the program)

Yes, T&T has three events, but you compete each separately, so you can compete just one or two, or all three at different levels.

Age for competition is the age you will be by December following the end of competition season. Girls and boys train and compete together, but not against each other. In other words, my DDs birthday is end of October. Season is January through May. She competes as the age she will be five months after the season is done. Weird to me!

Training hours should be lower in general than artistic too. Our L8-10s train 7 hours a week.

Wait I'm confused on the age thing. My son just turned 5 in April but competition season for our gym won't start until January so he will be considered 6? Is that right?

There is an adorable five year old who competes with my girls. She's a level 4 across the board, I think moving to level 5 for states.

I don't know anything of the US system but all I can tell you that some kids really thrive in trampolining. For others artistic might be the better choice.

My son did T&T for a while. He only trained/competed trampoline and double mini. (He broke his arm in two places, and tumbling was always painful for him.) So the ability to do just two events was perfect for him. My son has has a birthday the end of December. So it was very weird to have him compete in January as a 12 year old when he had only just turned 11 the week before. But you get used to the wackiness.

DD competes as 11 and has since January, but only JUST turned 11 two weeks ago. So she was 10 competing 11. What I love about T&T is the ability for them to be different levels on all three events. Really allows them to progress naturally rather than force skills just to move up a level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back