Parents Thoughts on L3 competing at state meets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mariainlv

I will start by saying I am not overly experienced with all of this. Having said that, I think that having L3 compete at state meets is silly.

The reason I think this is that its supposed to be a developmental level no? Sure, gain some experience with local meets but anything beyond that, is it really necessary?

I would like to hear others thoughts on this. The "group" J is in is L3 and the coach told me they likely will have L3 compete at the upcoming state meet. These aren't even older L3, they are 5 and 6 mostly, with some just turned 7 that will go to L4 after the state meet.

Hi :)

I'm not sure how they do it in Nevada so I really can't comment on the experience of the L3's at state there. But here the state meet for pre-team L's 1-4 didn't seem any different than any other regular meet. There wasn't all the hoopla as there is for L4's and above. In fact, the meet wasn't even held at the same time or place. It was at a small venue all to itself and all gymnasts are allowed to go. I didn't even know it was a state meet that she had attended until this year.

I think as long as the gymnast is having fun that that's what's important.

edit: I just wanted to add that Pixie never competed L3. She competed L1 for a meet then L2 the rest of the season then moved to preteam L4 but was moved to USGA L4 before meets started. SO, I don't know if this is specifically about L3. If so, please disregard my post, lol!

Last edited:
Midget competed L3 this year, and went to states.

From our perspective we think it has been nice as it allowed her to get some competition time in with smaller groups and less stress so next year in L4 she won't worry about it. Plus she really enjoyed it.

That said I think she would have been moved to L4 already had we not competed. Either that or have a stronger base for L4 next year with more time working on those skills.

Overall I wouldnt trade it though. We had fun and more importantly she had fun. And she got a taste for competition.

Down here gymnasts compete from level 1.
To me a lot of the point of gymnastics is to perform for a crowd, and to be judged for form (I'm talking about meeting personal goals for PBs). It seems a pity for gymnasts to work so hard on skills and have to wait years before anyone ever sees what they can do. Surely that's a disincentive for some??
Gymnastics is a fairly brief sport, and I think it's a shame if athletes are not allowed to compete until they reach a sufficiently impressive level. I imagine that increases the stress later on.
Should we care if 'perfecting skills' delays the attainment of some others? For most gymnasts that probably means more time in the sport before they opt out of the harder/scarier skills. I can understand the logic for hopeful elites, but not for the majority.

Here in Fl majority of the gyms start competiting @ L2 including gyms that train elite.They started L2 & L3 USAG states here probably 3yrs ago.My dd competes in AAU FL started competiting @l2.I think it has been a wonderful experiance for her .In AAU Fl we have 2 state meets 1 in Dec and 1 in April or May the spring being the largest one.L2 thru L6 states are done @ the same place and weekand.My dd has competed 2 states per level since L3 and she knows quit well what to expect there she is now a L5.

Different states have different philosophies--here level 4 is the first competitive level. They don't have competitions for lower levels in our state, much less a State meet. Even at level 4, the gymnasts don't get scores flashed--scores are given to the coaches. Participation awards are given--that's it. Level 5 has achievement awards, but no places--level 6 is the first level for places. I like it that way--eases kids into competition and doesn't push them to score high so soon. But everyone is different!

I have to say here girls do not compete until the year they turn 9, they can do skill evaluations from about 6 years and there are some little regional things where everyone places and get a medal.

I know the compete all the levels is becoming more and more "normal" in the US and that parents seem to not have a huge choice in the matter if there child loves gym, is talented and wants to do more hours.

I suppose if your child has earned the right to compete them they should compete. But I think that competing is not the big deal for gymnastics, it's about the work in the gym.

I think we can ALL appreciate how much money this brings in to USAG, AAU, the gyms, and the leo/warm up companies. When competing just begins at L5 there is a huge amount of cash that stays in parents pockets.

I know our state meet has L 3's.Personally I think it is nice for the kids to get a little experience but I would never go to a State meet that is an 8 hr drive (like it was with us for the last 3 years) for a level 3 State meet.
My daughter did not compete at State until Level 7.That is because she scored out of Level 5 + 6.

I know this is a little late and many coaches have weighed in with their opinions in the coach forum. In our state their are no meets below L4. Some gyms have L3 "teams", but from what I've heard they basically do just a few informal meets in house. Most gyms in the state have a pre-team program to work skills to get their girls ready to start competing at L4 or L5. My gymmie came out of one of those pre-team programs and competed her 1st year at age 9 as a L5.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back