Through the years

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bella's Mom

I stumbled across a great video. It is a video montage of bars routines starting from the 1950s through today. It was so cool to see how the equipment, gymnasts, and stunts have changed over the years. So many cool things they used to do and how much bigger the stunts are today. Hope you all enjoy.

YouTube - uneven bars developments (50s to 2005)

Great video!!!! I actually like the artistry and creativity of the 50's, 60's and 70's as opposed to what they do now. And did you see how close the bars were in the earlier days?? Bars is so much different now.

That was incredible!! I can't believe all the hip-slammer moves though OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta give a shout out to my girl Rhonda Schwandt since she appeared in the video lol! Time for facebook linkage! She's so awesome, I love her!

*edit* I have to say also that it's an awesome coincidence to see her in a bar vid. Her girls have caught the yaeger bug in a big way lately!

Last edited:
Linsul, I was thinking the same thing about the hip-slamming. OUCHHHH!:(
It was really interesting to see how things have changed. Wonder what they will be doing in 20 years...

Linsul, I was thinking the same thing about the hip-slamming. OUCHHHH!:(
It was really interesting to see how things have changed. Wonder what they will be doing in 20 years...

For real! The cast hs from the high bar to the low bar hip slam made me die a little inside...

In 20 years I bet the bars will be 20 feet apart! :eek::p

To think... I started competing while the bars were set this way. I competed a brause, to drop kip, kip catch, in bar kip, cast HS 1/2 pirouette, hip slam, LH kip, cast toe front! The brause is at 1:20 & 2:53 of that vid. Two years of hip slamming then it all changed. Giants at that setting were definitely different to learn than they are now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or did those early bars look like men's parallels with one higher than the other?

It's crazy how the sport has progressed... In all the events, but ESPECIALLY in bars. On one hand, I miss the beauty and the artistry of the Nadia generation, but on the other hand, today's gymnasts can throw some pretty impressive tricks.

Interesting video, I think I actually prefer watching the older style, it looks more graceful with more variety of moves. These days it looks pretty much the same as the men's high bar.

To think... I started competing while the bars were set this way. I competed a brause, to drop kip, kip catch, in bar kip, cast HS 1/2 pirouette, hip slam, LH kip, cast toe front! The brause is at 1:20 & 2:53 of that vid. Two years of hip slamming then it all changed. Giants at that setting were definitely different to learn than they are now!
Ahh the good ol' days. I probably hated the bruises at the time - but for some silly reason I remember them fondly now. :D
I was competing during the trasition and I remember being a bit disdainful of people who needed the bars further apart to get in their release moves. Of course now I can see I was just a junior dinosaur.
I have to ditto I think modern bars is dull to watch. Giant this way, giant that, release, giant, pirouette, release, giant, dismount. It's so rare to see something unexpected during a routine. I respect the difficulty - but it still sends me to sleep (in much the same way mens' HB does - sorry boys). Zzzzz ....

I have to ditto I think modern bars is dull to watch. Giant this way, giant that, release, giant, pirouette, release, giant, dismount. It's so rare to see something unexpected during a routine. I respect the difficulty - but it still sends me to sleep (in much the same way mens' HB does - sorry boys). Zzzzz ....

OMG! Seriously....I had insomnia last night and was lying in bed thinking about thhat video and had the EXACT same thought about giant here, giant there, BORIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGG! (says the fat 40 year old woman who couldn't even do a pullover! LOL)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back