WAG Too intense?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't want to tell the whole story why I am asking this, but if someone is interested, I will explain.

What do you think about this gymnastics Workout Plan for L6-L10? (no competition season)

Practice 4 hrs a day, 6 days a week.

10 minutes warm up with running
10 minutes intense core conditioning
10 minutes of active flexibility and split jumps with weights
60 minutes of strength work (pull ups, levers, dips, leg lifts, squats, press handstands)
60 minutes of basic skills focus on form and execution (round offs from knee, standing tucks and handsprings , glide kips, cast handstands, etc)
60 minutes of cardio (running 10k)
30 minutes of stretching

Thanks

It sounds like a lot of pounding to me. Especially jumping with weights and running 60 minutes. Are the split jumps with weights on tramp? In that case it seems okay. If they're doing that much cardio, it would be better to do something low impact. One of the better girls programs around here does 45 minutes a day cardio, but it's on stationary bikes. They do generally seem like the best conditioned team.

It sounds like a lot of pounding to me. Especially jumping with weights and running 60 minutes. Are the split jumps with weights on tramp? In that case it seems okay. If they're doing that much cardio, it would be better to do something low impact. One of the better girls programs around here does 45 minutes a day cardio, but it's on stationary bikes. They do generally seem like the best conditioned team.

Thank You!

If anyone want specific numbers of conditioning sets and reps, I would be more than happy to post them :)

Our coaches vary workouts, going back and forth between intense core days and less intense core days. Can't tell from what you write here but it might be wise not to have the same strength workout every practice so that the muscles don't get too used to it.

And our coaches vary what is being worked on for the strength. One day will be arms...one core....one legs. Rotate. Sometimes it is high cardio. Coach has a plan. I would think having a variety would be better for everyone. When do you work skills? It looks like the whole practice is just conditioning...

I don't want to tell the whole story why I am asking this, but if someone is interested, I will explain.

What do you think about this gymnastics Workout Plan for L6-L10? (no competition season)

60 minutes of strength work (pull ups, levers, dips, leg lifts, squats, press handstands)
60 minutes of basic skills focus on form and execution (round offs from knee, standing tucks and handsprings , glide kips, cast handstands, etc)
30 minutes of stretching

Thanks
I am actually interested, so if you feel like explaining, go for it.

30 minutes of stretching

Thanks
I am actually interested, so if you feel like explaining, go for it.

30 minutes of stretching

Thanks
If you want to suck at bars then look great! :)

Only an interested parent here but know Dd does a heap of drills as part of conditioning that also emphasize/ mimic part bar work-sometimes but often not using a low wooden pole.

Okay, so it doesn't affect me as I am not competing or on a real team anymore. At my gym (my sister is a L5 there) the higher levels (L7/8/9) train together, 20hrs a week.

They had big skills but were not well conditioned which you could notice on execution. They got a new coach who put up their new workout schedule because she got so mad when she saw how weak they were.
(I know it because many of the girls on team are my friends and my sister will be an optional next season).

So they have to do 50 pull-ups, leg lifts, dips, handstands and squat jumps everyday along with leg kicks and stuff. I just feel it is a little intense.

If anyone is interested in the exact plan I could ask for it and post it.

I am just asking because my sister will very soon be an optional also (only giants missing but so close!) and I worry about that.

I am not sure if it is good to be so strong or just not worth it. Thanks

If you are not competing or on a real team what are you doing? And how do you know so much about what is happening at your sister's gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back