Twisting Problems?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi. I'm a level 5 gymnast and new here to CB. :) I'm posting this because I'm having trouble twisting. I twist to my left even though I am a righty because left twisting just feels better for me. I do it into the pit (sometimes off the tumble trak, sometimes off the side). I have my full (sometimes) using drop-arm twisting, but normal twisting is where I have trouble.

I throw my arms over my shoulder and I AM twisting, but it's kind of weird. Many coaches say to twist from the upper body. Thing is, my upper body is twisting, but my legs don't. This twists my back and it often cracks uncomfortably. What am I doing wrong? How can I help fix it? Are there any drills I can do? Thanks for any help, I don't know anyone else who has this problem. :confused:

By the way, any flyaway tips would be helpful too, I'm pretty sure I have it but I'm just too scared to go for it.

Thanks!! :D

Umm, when twisting you have to not only focus on twisting the shoulders but head, shoulders, hips and toes like a screw.

Crack your back in your warmup. Problem solved.

Flyaway tips? Better done with drills. Spot something while you swing, release and let go. Good drills your coach should be doing should be swing and drop (they hold you in their arms and guide you to the floor or drop you in the pit or on mats), swing catch in arms and they flip you; swing, let go and flip by releasing and tucking or layout.

I know it sounds crazy but try swapping directions, that's what I did because I used to twist right but was a lefty. I used to find it hard to make it around going right but it felt more natural, then I was told to swap directions and they became much more simple.

Umm, when twisting you have to not only focus on twisting the shoulders but head, shoulders, hips and toes like a screw.

Crack your back in your warmup. Problem solved.

Flyaway tips? Better done with drills. Spot something while you swing, release and let go. Good drills your coach should be doing should be swing and drop (they hold you in their arms and guide you to the floor or drop you in the pit or on mats), swing catch in arms and they flip you; swing, let go and flip by releasing and tucking or layout.

Thanks, but I used to be addicted to cracking my back. I don't want to go back to that, and I have a strained back which makes it worse. Thanks for the help! And gymgurl, my coach suggested that to me, I think I will try it. Thanks!

You say your throwing your arms over your shoulders, that's a big no-no. You should have your arms set up, then flip 180 degrees so your feet are pointing toward the ceiling, THEN start the twist. Twisting early will become a bad habit and its hard to get rid of it.

If you wait for the twist, it should feel more fluid also. Other than waiting longer, my only advice would be to stay tight, and try switching directions a few times just too see what it feels like.

Good luck!

Cracking your back is not the devil or drugs. I'd rather my gymnasts not have their back crack while they are on events so often we do it before practice or during the warmup or I'll go send them to roll on the roller or do straddle swings on the rings.

I was just saying though, I remember when I would have to crack my back every half hour or else I would have this nagging feeling. :indifferent:

I tried it the other way a few times, it was a little better so I want to practice it more. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back