Update - Sill in Level 5

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lettrich

Proud Parent
I had posted here about 6 weeks ago re: daughter staying level 5. She is getting stronger but still struggling with some of the level 6 bar routine. How can she learn new skills if she is not being spotted? Corrections are just called out to her from across the gym floor. I emailed the coach & am waiting back for a response. She will be competing 2 level 5 meets in the next 2 months. One of my concerns about her coaches not paying enough attention to her has come true. After observing practices in the last week I am realizing that my daughter is not being focused on. There seem to be several "favorites" & my daughter is clearly not getting the attention she needs. I am not asking for any special treatment - ALL kids should be given the same amount of attention. No wonder why some kids are advancing - it is because the coach is with them more! My fears of her getting left behind & forgotten seem to be coming true. Short of leaving this gym & going to another one (which my daughter does not want) any suggestions for getting the coaches to pay more attention & teach new skills? Thanks for listening to my venting!

Level 6 bars are hard. It's a very hard year.

Your concerns are VERY common and we have had the same type of bar training, no spot. Just a yell across the room every now and then when the coach catches a glimse. Talk to the coach or get her some privates. Then you know you are getting deicated time.

The grass is not always greener!

Good luck!:D

I agree that the Level 6 bars are very hard, depending on how good your Level 5 skills are. If you have strong straight arm kips that helps, but the casts have to be 3/4 handstand, and the clear hip, too. And actually connecting all of the skills is a whole different challenge. I think the clear hip and flyaway definitely need some good coaching to get the technique correct but alot of bars is conditioning and repetition. Sometimes good drills can take the place of lots of spotting but it sounds like your dd isn't getting what she needs. I agree with driving mom that a discussion with the coach and/or a private might help. I hope you get a response and the answers you are looking for. If she rocks the two Level 5 meets, maybe she'll get more attention, too! Best of luck.

I can understand if the coaching staff choose some drills that do not involve spotting, but yelling from across the room seems totally inappropriate for this age and level. Isn't there a coach at the bar area when they are practicing? If not, I would find this concerning from a safety standpoint.

There is an assistant coach that is nearby when she is on bars. They make her do 5 level 5 routines before she can work on anything new. By that time there is barely anytime left to do anything new. Just spoke with her coach - she feels she is improving -I guess time will tell. I asked her to start spotting her on bars & floor for RO BHS BT. Its just frustrating to spend all this time/money & see her remain stagnant. She is also getting down on herself because all of her friends are getting the new skills & she is not. Thanks for listening.

There is an assistant coach that is nearby when she is on bars. They make her do 5 level 5 routines before she can work on anything new. By that time there is barely anytime left to do anything new. Just spoke with her coach - she feels she is improving -I guess time will tell. I asked her to start spotting her on bars & floor for RO BHS BT. Its just frustrating to spend all this time/money & see her remain stagnant. She is also getting down on herself because all of her friends are getting the new skills & she is not. Thanks for listening.

I am not sure I understand - Is the asst. coach spotting the L5 girls at all? Even in the level 5 skills? If so, then I don't see why he/she couldn't spot the level 6 ones that your dd needs. How close is she to getting the skills she needs? Is she working on them independently and just needs corrections or does she really need a spot to complete the skills safely?

Frankly, from your all of your posts, I get the impression that the coaches had already determined that she is repeating level 5 and were just trying to appease you and your dd by saying she could compete 6 if she got her skills. If she can't do the skills on her own yet, and they are not spotting her, they don't really expect her to get them well enough to compete them this season. For many gyms, once "training" season ends, you must have all of your skills to move up. They will still uptrain but your level is set at the end of the training season. It sounds like your gym is like this.

I just have to say that repeating a level should not be seen as being stagnant. sounds like she needs more time to perfect the level 5 skills so she has a solid foundation for the level 6 skills. Everything I have read on this forum reinforces that you need to have a strong foundation before going on - especially in L6 and up. If she doesn't have strong BHS and tap swings, she'll have weak BT and flyaways. She might be able to compete, but then she will have an even harder time going to L7.

I agree with gymgal. very few actually move up a level once the comp season starts unless they have 2 comp season. I know in our area we have sep - dec and jan - may for the L4 - 6 so they may be a L5 for 1st season and L6 for 2nd season. But it does sound like the coaches have made that determination of your dd being a L5 once again. this really isn't a bad thing. She will be a stronger L5 and it will give her that boost of confidence she may need to get the L6 skills. Repeating a level isn't being left back or anything else negative. It's a way for a child to perfect some of the moves she does and have a good foundation for the next levels skills. a week foundation will make it harder and harder as they move up to get the skills they need.

If you feel there is too much favortisim going on then don't be afraid to move to another gym. My old gym was like that and my DD also didn't want to move as she loved the girls etc. but now that we are in a new gym that has a different philosophy she is thriving, has lots of friends and couldn't be happier. after a year and a half of being at new gym I wish we had moved 3 years ago when that little voice in side my head was yelling at me to make the move. My questions would be if it weren't for your DD saying she doesn't want to move - would you move with out hesitation? If so you need to listen to that little voice. Kids are resilant and if they love the sport they will adapt to a new gym, make new friends and move on very quickly.

If you feel there is too much favortisim going on then don't be afraid to move to another gym. My old gym was like that and my DD also didn't want to move as she loved the girls etc. but now that we are in a new gym that has a different philosophy she is thriving, has lots of friends and couldn't be happier. after a year and a half of being at new gym I wish we had moved 3 years ago when that little voice in side my head was yelling at me to make the move. My questions would be if it weren't for your DD saying she doesn't want to move - would you move with out hesitation? If so you need to listen to that little voice. Kids are resilant and if they love the sport they will adapt to a new gym, make new friends and move on very quickly.

I second this. It's really hard to come to terms with "forcing" your child to switch gyms when she is saying that she doesn't want to, but if your gut is telling you this isn't a good place for her, you owe it to her to at least visit other options. If you had asked me even a few months ago if I'd ever get my daughter to switch gyms, I would have told you that it would never happen, but after a few visits to the new gym and some soul searching and list making on both of our parts, she switched gyms in August and couldn't be happier.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back