Upper Body Strength

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Okay, So strength wise I am all legs which is great for tumbling, but my upper body strength is pathetic! I have been working hard for over a year on most of it and it just seems to never improve like even after more than a year of trying to climb the rope with no legs I still go two steps and cannot go further. All my teammates have managed to do it and its getting really frustrating that it just seems impossible for me to build upper strength. I know my body type is just not built for that kind of strength as I am thunder thighs but twigs for arms. So is it possible that its just not possible for me to build upper body strength? or is it just going to be so slow that its painful? Is there anything I can do to make the process faster?

Of course your natural strengths are dominant, but anyone can improve on what she has. For example, I have good upper body strength but bad lower body strength. I can only jump 17 in vertically compared to my teammates who can do 19-20, and I need to do standing back tucks onto a squishy mat. But last year I could only jump 15 in vertically and I needed a panel mat to do back tucks at all. The key to improving strength is really just to push yourself as hard as you can every day. If you can only do two pulls on the rope, make yourself do the third. You can set small goals for yourself (like 5 pulls on the rope by the end of the month) that will be more reachable than just "do as well as my teammates", which is probably unrealistic.

sorry, totally off topic, but does anyone else see the absolutely grotesque picture in the ad that is labeled "Shocking Muscle Pictures." Why would anyone want to look like that??

I can't see the add but body building can be an addiction just like everything else. Sort of like the opposite of anorexia. Some body builders can look hideously huge and still think they are small and weak looking.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back