Parents USAG changes for 2013?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cathiann

Has anyone heard anything about level changes? One of the coaches (level 4) and team moms (daughters at level 9 and level 6) was showing some of us information on the level changes that have apparently already been approved to start in 2013.

Looks like level 4 will be more like level 5--with a minimumn age of 7 yrs. Level 5 more like level 6. Level 6 description says "pre-optional" and lists the previous level as 7--does that mean level 6 will have their own routines now?? Lists skills they can do and not do, etc. for that level, so it sounds like they have some flexibility.

Anyone else have more information than that or can correct my misunderstanding at all?

:: USA Gymnastics ::

I think the previous level is what it was during this cycle and what it will be considered during the next cycle. Seems like they might try to change some things and put it in this cycle. Very confusing. Who knows how it will effect things. You should post this in the coaches area, too and see what they have to say about it. Would be interesting to see the routines/elements for each level.

What I read of it somewhere, cannot remeber where! It seemed like they are moving everyone back a level, so child who was supposed to be a 5 will be a 4 and yes that L6 will be the start of optionals. There were some skill changes.

I suppose once the kids realise that they aren't being demoted it'll be fine, but I think it'll take some explaining!

I figure we have no way of knowing what level DD will be in 2013 anywho, and it seems like every new level has a learning curve (for parents as well as gymnasts!) I would love to see them get rid of some of the level 4 skills that really don't build a base for other levels, but other than that, I just keep wondering what "the next thing" will be!

Snowbound

I thought I saw something posted on our states USAG site. I'll have to go back and look. Honestly I take this sport one season at a time, LOL, and 2013 seems a long way away for me to worry about it right now. I'll go check and if it is still there, will post a link. I agree with other that said it will be like a push back of the levels, I think that is what I remember reading too!

It seems that they are sort of moving girls back, but I suppose everyone will just have to get used to the new label for the same skills. It will be interesting to see what the skills will be for each level. They are sort of adding in a Level 8, which looks to sort of be in between the current Level 8 and Level 9. I agree, though, who knows where we will be in 2013. We are just trying to get through the next meet!

Meg

I get the impression they are not moving everyone "back" a level, they are just changing the names of the levels, and adding a new level between level 10 and elite. So if your daughter is a level 6 under the old system she will be a level 5 under the new system but its the same level just with a different name. Also they are going to make all levels from level 1-10 competitive, this is what we have in Australia.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back