What do you pack for camp?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
I loved our list of "What should new team parents know" and am thinking about compiling it. I would love to give it to our HC but I'm never sure when I will be stepping on toes. Maybe I'll give it to our parents committee secretary and let her do with it what she will.

Anyway, with Kathy's week at Woodward less than 2 weeks away, I thought it might be fun to compile a camp packing list/wish-list. What do you pack? Parents, do you pack any sort of goodie-bag for your child? If so, what do you put in it? Gymnasts, what do you pack? Do you parents sneak anything special into your luggage? If so, what is it? OR what do you wish they would pack you? What do you see as being the necessities? Do you need more than one leo a day (assuming you're going to gymnastics camp, of course)?

I'll start...

Last year I packed each of my girls one plastic shoe-box-size container full of home-made cookies and another full of other snacks (some junk, some not-junk). I thought it was more than any child could possibly consume in a week, but I went to visit Kathy at Woodward on TUESDAY and it was almost all gone (I think there was much sharing of snacks going on)! I also packed them a third container full of things like new books, a note book, small games, etc. This year I got them each a couple of mad-libs books, plus a reading book (I found Kathy a book by a Canadian author about a gymnast and Tory's is about dancers... interesting that, I believe, they both deal with the subject of eating disorders). I got a slightly larger-sized box for the snack foods this year. I do think that they get hungry, between the gymnastics/dancing and the pool and such. At Woodward, the snacks are pretty expensive, and at Tory's dance camp there is no place to buy snacks. This year Kathy is requesting snickerdoodles and sour patch kids! We also made a batch of chex mix together and I'll put in some beef jerkey too. :)

When my DD goes to gym camp we get 2 big laundry baskets and if it doesn't fit in those it doesn't go. they are at a college dorm so they have a fridge on the floor and a microwave.

One basket is leotards, swim suit, bedding, towels, clothes (usually they are in their leos with shorts 99% of the time so the only real clothes they need if for the specials like the end of the week dance)

the other basket is all the other junk lol. She has a fan, extention cord, snacks, things to do like cards, crafts etc in her down time. she also brings her music as they have a piano and she likes to practice when she is there if she can. Any decorations for the room to decorate for the weeks theme. All her hair stuff, gym stuff like grips, shampoos etc. basicly all the personal items. and anything else she can fit in the basket. So its one basket of cloth stuff one basket of hard goods and food. When she unpacks she will have one empty laundry basket she will fold dirty clothes into. the other basket is also unpacked and put aside to repack all the other stuff left over when she comes home. By the time she comes home she has about 1 1/2 baskets worth of stuff.

Snacks - Crystal light for the single water bottles, Water bottles (cheaper to bring than to buy from machines), those cheese and cracker packets with the little knife thing in them, fruit chews, granola bars or something like them, microwave single pack popcorn, No Chocolate as it always melts. MONEY - there are vending machines but the college also has a bookstore that is open and they can purchase snacks in there too if they want. the camp also has a "Pro Shop" set up with snacks and leos, and other gym stuff to buy.
They eat in the school Caf and they really give plenty of food so no kid is really hungry. Oh more money because the older kids (12 and Up) have a pizza party during the week but they have to pay $1 a slice and the staff gets the pizza from the local pizza shop.

I will also send on the first day a care package with the "candy" type stuff. A quick trip to the local CVS to get the movie size boxes of things like Swedish Fish, Jr Mints etc. she will usually get it by Wed so you only need a few things. If i see some cool item I know she would like I will send that too.

No gym camp for my girls but my oldest does go to a small Christian camp for 5 nights. I pack her stuff in a big black plastic trunk that she has decorated with paints. We bought the trunk in the automotive section at Walmart for around $20. I pack her bedding in a big plastic trash bag. She takes shorts and tees, 3 swim suits, 3 swim towels, all bathroom supplies (in a plastic caddy). I send snacks and water. I also send "would you rather" cards for rest time to get the girls in the bunk houses talking. She will be in a bunkhouse with about 20 girls of all ages--3rd grade through 9th grade, plus 2/3 counselors. I send a couple of stamped addressed envelopes so that she can write home and to a friend. They have a place where you can leave packages/letters for each day. I generally "send" a new set of pjs or pillow case from Justice that all the girls in her cabin can sign. I also "send" a pack of gum or something one day, and then one other fun item--mad lib book, sunglasses, new journal or something. The other days, she gets a note. I also pack flip flops for shower, flashlight--no dorms, very rustic cabins, camera, bug spray, sunscreen, sharpee, sarna lotion (for bug bites), small back pack, and an outfit for any "theme night. They do tend to share snacks so I try to send a variety (in case someone doesn't have any). I send a small amount of money that includes a roll of quarters. Most things at the snack bar are inexpensive and that keeps her from carrying a lot of cash. I buy her camp tee shirt when we arrive so that she doesn't have to keep up with money for that. Hope you have fun at camp!

Though I've never gone to camp, my coaches told me to do this if I do:
-Pack what you would pack for a sleepover but multiply it
-Pack what you would for gymnastics but multiply it
-Pack the amount of food you would pack as if they didn't serve any meals! :D

Some ideas from my experiences as a camper and camp counselor:
-Leos, shorts, t-shirts as the bulk of the clothing items, sweatshirt or jacket for any cooler nights
-Sandals for going to/from the gym, cafeteria, etc. but also a pair of good sneakers for other activities
-Swimsuits
-Towels
-Bedding- sheets and a sleeping bag was what I usually did, keeps them from having to make some kind of complex bed set-up look neat each morning
-Disposable camera- These aren't as common as they were when I was going to camp, but so much better than sending your kid with an expensive digital one never to be seen again
-Journal, address book (for collecting friends addresses/e-mails and writing down any fun memories or experiences)

Some camps don't allow outside snacks because of their outdoor setting. I know a camp where I worked as a counselor did not allow snacks in the cabin, either those brought from home or bought at camp. Make sure to check out the rules before. If you want to send something from home to save a few bucks, just make sure it's well stored and something that will keep crumbs and extraneous waste to a minimum.
For little treats, I like your ideas of books and activity books. Also things to decorate the cabin if they do a contest, dress-up supplies if they have a dress up night or theme days. You could do a note and/or small treat to be opened each day (stickers, notebook, keychain, pin, just simple little things)
Small first-aid kit, sunscreen, bug spray, any other basic supplies

If you're sending a calling card, it can be helpful to write down the directions to either explain to your dd or to give to a counselor to help her out if she's younger.

Everything I can think of other people have mentioned, but it's definitely useful to have a "first aid kit". In it can be tape, band-aids, and rip supplies, etc. Just simple things, not for major injuries, but they are useful to have on hand.

I bring my entire gym bag, plus everything I would want to bring on vacation, to an island with no food or clean water.

I like the "would you rather" cards idea! The pjs that your bunk-mates sign reminds me of something else I send. Last year I made them myself but this year they got an IOU in their Easter baskets to design their own pillow cases. They went on customizedgirl.com and they have lots of gymnastics and dance designs that you can order on various items, including pillow cases. Along with the design, they got the name of their camp and the date put on them and will bring sharpies to camp to have their bunk-mates sign them. They've used last year's pillow cases all year long!

I just finished packing for FlipFest!! :) I packed 10 leos--most of the time I wear the same one to both practices, but some of them get really hot so I change between practices. I also packed 7 outfits (so 2 extra), 2 towels--one for the lake and one for the shower, my camera (with extra batteries!! I forgot them last year:(), a flashlight, sunscreen, bugspray, bathroom stuff (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, ponytails, hairbrush, lotion, etc.), a journal (I'll ALWAYS remember camp!), 2 swimsuits, my gym bag (complete with grips, ankle brace, tape, pre wrap, tiger paws, and extra ponytails), sheets/blanket, pillow, laundry bag, tennis shoes, flip flops, and I'm sure a few other things that I'm forgetting.. :) We aren't allowed to take food to Flip Fest, and I don't need money because I have the camp bank account.

Oh I forgot. My DDis a social butterfly so we print up business cards for her on the computer with her contact info on it to share with girls she meets there. She has a few girls she still keeps in touch with and meets at gym camp every year.

Oh I forgot. My DDis a social butterfly so we print up business cards for her on the computer with her contact info on it to share with girls she meets there. She has a few girls she still keeps in touch with and meets at gym camp every year.

wonderful idea!!!!

I did this too! I thought I was the only one silly enough to print up business cards for my kids!

I did this too! I thought I was the only one silly enough to print up business cards for my kids!

LOL nope there are other crazy gym moms out here too LOL. Actually I can't take credit for that - It was my DD that suggested it so she wouldn't have to keep looking for paper and pen at camp. The first year we did it she was the only one with them - the next year everyone seemed to have them.

She designed them herself on Word with a little help in the formating from me. But every year she makes new ones and that trip to staples to get the designer business cards is like a trip for a 5 yo to the toy store.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back