Parents What to pack for a long day?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
My DD effectively has gym from 9 am till 7pm (or so) tomorrow. She won't have any significant breaks. What can I pack that will not require either refrigeration or heating, but that will keep her going and energized, and that she can eat in a few minutes at a time.

I'm thinking little Brazilian cheese breads, some beef jerky, some fruit, maybe a cookie... Ten hours is a long time.

Can she have an ice pack in a lunch box? Should last at least part of the day. Then you could do string cheese, yogurt, bagel and cream cheese etc. But otherwise, what about PB&J? Applesauce, granola bars, apple, orange, crackers, chocolate milk (you know the shelf stable ones.)

My dds daily lunch box gets packed at 7 am and lasts until her 7pm pick-up. It just takes a large lunchbox and ice packs and includes a sandwich, cheese sticks, 2 yogurts, cashews, and cut up fruit. And I make sure she has a good breakfast before she leaves. It seems to be plenty of food because sometimes there are left overs in the bag.

Lunchbox and thermos, will pretty much cover anything.

Reactions: sce
My DD really likes those shelf-stable little cartons of chocolate milk. They are good post-workout and fill her belly. Otherwise, granola bars, fruit (grapes or other fruits cut into bite-size pieces, easy to grab on the fly), trail mix, nuts, etc. are all good options.

Might be too late for today, but for next time and as long as you have an ice pack and a lunch bag...hard boiled eggs, sandwiches cut into fourths so she can eat at least a piece quickly, ham wrapped around a thin slice of apple and a thin slice of cheddar cheese, graham crackers, baby carrots (we pack these sticking into hummus for the protein and they are still quick to eat because the dipping is already done), nuts, the squeeze youguts (like gogurt, but we do the organic ones).

My dds daily lunch box gets packed at 7 am and lasts until her 7pm pick-up. It just takes a large lunchbox and ice packs and includes a sandwich, cheese sticks, 2 yogurts, cashews, and cut up fruit. And I make sure she has a good breakfast before she leaves. It seems to be plenty of food because sometimes there are left overs in the bag.
My DD must eat significantly more than yours! Lol. That would be one regular lunch for her. She doesn't eat a good breakfast on Saturdays already because they go right into hard core conditioning, and this won't be a sitting sort of day- it will be basically non-stop gym. I took a some suggestions from here and packed a huge sack of finger sandwiches and other little bites.

It went. She got through, so there is that. She ate all the food before two pm and was not her best by five or six. By the time they were done she was exhausted, starving, and cranky. Glad to be home! Next time I will pack even more food.

That is actually a bit concerning, are the coaches not worried about the safety of the gymnasts training with very little break for 10 hours straight. Research shows that rate of injury significantly increases after 3 1/2 hours.

Training tired is not only dangerous it is also counter productive. Technique starts to get sloppy after a while which means the kids are practicing sloppy technique and getting good at sloppy technique.

My youngest daughter has a day like that next Saturday :

Training 9am to 11:30am
Christmas display 1 - 1:20 to 4pm
Christmas display 2 - 4:45pm to 7pm

The gymnasts have been asked to bring a packed lunch to eat after the first display. The only saving grace is that I can get some food into her at lunch time. I will be leaving her near the end of her session to collect her oldest sister (she has no training on Saturday morning and can have a lay in), so lunch will most likely be 12:30pm at the gym cafe, will be madness there as the display covers children from rec right through to top squads and Saturday rec classes finish at 1pm so will be heaving with parents and children who will stay at the gym after their classes finish as it is not worth leaving.

That is actually a bit concerning, are the coaches not worried about the safety of the gymnasts training with very little break for 10 hours straight. Research shows that rate of injury significantly increases after 3 1/2 hours.

Training tired is not only dangerous it is also counter productive. Technique starts to get sloppy after a while which means the kids are practicing sloppy technique and getting good at sloppy technique.
This was my thought as well. I am not sure I'd let her train that long.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back