Wrists supports, yes or no?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
Iuse tiger paws but some friends from gym refuse even though they say their wrists are killing them, they say that they don't want to be dependent on them and that supports will only make their wrists weaker. They say if you keep doing stuff without them your wrists will get stronger. Do they have a point?? I can't tumble or do vault without my tiger paws...

I think most supports are worn because of a previous injury, where your wrist/ankle might not be as strong as before. There is no real evidence that wearing tiger paws will make your wrists weaker, but pain in your wrist doesn't necessarily mean "weak wrists" either. Also, if you can't vault or tumble without your Tiger Paws, then you may just be relieving symptoms instead of treating a possible injury.

In general as a mom my view is supports, braces, etc are used when needed and not because everyone else has them.
My DD started using them when her DOCTOR said she needed to. She was complaining that her wrist were killing her when she tumbled and off to the DR we went. DR said She has small wrist for her size and needs the extra support for valult and tumbling. It had nothing to do with wrist being weak or strong. I asked at that time about the "wrist getting weaker from supports" and Dr said there is no medical evidence that is the case at all. The supports do just that give support to wrists, ankles or what ever that need the support for what ever move they need support. That she will still need the strength to do the skills right and that the support just keeps things where they need to be.

Anyone feeling pain when they do gymnastic skills of any type should have it checked out by a doctor to make sure there isn't something seriously wrong.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back