WAG 18hrs vs 24hrs/week

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Once you go above 21/22 hours the HC start putting pressure for your child to miss school to train that's a major commitment for a 8/9 year old. In the uk they have made the elite levels harder so now for level 5 which includes giants for a 7/8 year old 18 rather than 15 hours is becoming the norm. Level 4 is 21/22 hours+ for 8/9 year old elite.

Level 5 is set by region. Not all regions have giants. Most don't. Some have upstarts, some have swings.

South, south east, London, east all have giants at level 5 probably more, doesn't really matter as level 4 is tougher for all. The compulsory 4s I saw most struggled on bars and range.

I think next year everyone will be better prepared on range and bars. Also there have been a few 0 on vault this year. I expect that to improve next year.

I think there are 13 regions all together. I think 5 have giants but I could have missed one.

The sort of hours people are talking about sound very high. I'm pretty sure our six year old 'elite track' girls do 9 hours - no more. They look so tiny! And no-one was doing anywhere near 25 hours at compulsory 4. The hours changed several times but I think 16-18 was about maximum.

DD seems to spend a greater proportion of her time conditioning than previously and at this time of the year - (starting the next cycle of skills) they spend very little time on floor or on full skills/routines and more time on track, tramp, pit bar and drills, so I guess it's easier on their bodies while they build up to new skills.

I think the conditioning is the key to the hours increases. As the skills get harder, the level of conditioning and strength needed increases and more of the session is taken up doing that, so more hours are added...

They run routines but they're not really pounding them to death. In the run up to the regionals the floor music was on repeat and it was routines non-stop, but not the last week or so, although I haven't watched all the training.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back