WAG Level 9 tumbling passes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

For those of you that have had a daughter compete level 9, how common is it to see someone compete two tumbling passes for floor at a meet versus three? My daughter competed three passes at level 8, but this year for 9 her coach is considering having her do two passes. She has her routine choreographed for three, so it might require a little re-working, but I get if she can meet the requirements for the two pass routine, that is one less pass for deductions- LOL!

I've seen both. Two passes is less common.

I would listen to the coach. Two passes can be beneficial if your daughter has a strong double back (or other D-rated salto) and/or a two salto pass so she can receive bonus. It could be also good if she has good dance elements.

I've seen both. Two passes is less common.

I would listen to the coach. Two passes can be beneficial if your daughter has a strong double back (or other D-rated salto) and/or a two salto pass so she can receive bonus. It could be also good if she has good dance elements.
Thank you for your reply! Yes, she will do whatever the coach decides. I am thinking it has to do with the connection bonus.

Our gym has all girls do 2 passes at 8 and 9, and even several of our stronger 10s only do 2. Less room for deductions.

Also wanted to add for 9, if you have a double Salto pass that wouldn’t be great for a 2 pass routine. To have no deductions you need two C+B passes in level 9. (For 2 pass) and while a D gets you .1 bonus, it only counts as a C in terms of composition. C+B gives you .2 bonus.

"Our gym has all girls do 2 passes at 8 and 9, and even several of our stronger 10s only do 2. Less room for deductions."
Our gym has all girls do 2 passes at 8 and 9, and even several of our stronger 10s only do 2. Less room for deductions.

Also wanted to add for 9, if you have a double Salto pass that wouldn’t be great for a 2 pass routine. To have no deductions you need two C+B passes in level 9. (For 2 pass) and while a D gets you .1 bonus, it only counts as a C in terms of composition. C+B gives you .2 bonus.

That is interesting! Possibly less deductions, but requiring more difficult connections!

She will be doing 3 passes for now as she only has one C + B pass ( Front 1 1/2, front pike). Her other passes are whip half, front layout and a front full. I think to do two passes she would have to make the whip half, front layout a whip half front full instead.

Possibly less deductions, but requiring more difficult connections!
Yes definitely more difficult for 8 and 9, but better prepares girls to move to 10 I think focusing on passes with connections. That being said my daughter scored a 9.5 last season on floor as an 8 with two easier tumbling passes and composition deductions at the beginning of season and scored lower with the harder passes at the end of season. So who knows.

My daughter for 9 this year is doing 1.5+front pike and front full+front tuck. And just taking the .1 in composition deductions. I don’t think the coaches have any plans of upgrading her front pass until she’s a 10.

Whip half+front full sounds super hard!

that being said my daughter scored a 9.5 last season on floor as an 8 with two easier tumbling passes and composition deductions at the beginning of season and scored lower with the harder passes at the end of season. So who knows.
My daughter for 9 this year is doing 1.5+front pike and front full+front tuck. And just taking the .1 in composition deductions. I don’t think the coaches have any plans of upgrading her front pass until she’s a 10.
It sounds like your daughter is on track to have a great level 9 floor routine! Of the level 8 meets we attended last year there were a lot less 9.5 + floor routines at the beginning of the season, definitely more closer to the state meet.
Yes definitely more difficult for 8 and 9, but better prepares girls to move to 10 I think focusing on passes with connections. That being said my daughter scored a 9.5 last season on floor as an 8 with two easier tumbling passes and composition deductions at the beginning of season and scored lower with the harder passes at the end of season. So who knows.

Yes! not sure she is ready for that yet, lol!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back