Alberta switching to JO next year...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

These are probably stupid questions, sorry in advance.... Is Canada doing the whole scoring out of levels for JO like the US? Is that only for compulsory levels? Are we keeping the same age divisions, Argo, Tyro, Novice & Open?
Thank you

I doubt we will keep the age levels, it would not make sense to adopt half of the system. Maybe we will get meets like in the US where there are 10 girls in your dd's age group and they give medals to everyone. Plus everyone makes it to states!!!

Who knows how this will work out. I honestly do not see Quebec saying that everyone who makes a 32AA can go to Provincials. Our comps are just not run that way right now. In the US meets are huge money makers charging door entry fees for family etc.

It would be nice to move out of our age groups, meets I have been to in the states have done it as they divide the kids into groups of whatever number they choose, so like the youngest 20 are a group then the next etc..
Made it a little nicer to have more equal groups instead of 50 in one and 5 in another.
As far as I know we will keep the scoring out of levels aspect, but provincials will be determined my province- which levels get to go and how to decide who makes it.

Around here, meets are big money makers already. Clubs are looking at upwards of $30,000 for hosting a meet once all fees are charged for kids to enter the meet, entrance fees for family, concession, raffles, leo sales, 50/50.

Around here, meets are big money makers already. Clubs are looking at upwards of $30,000 for hosting a meet once all fees are charged for kids to enter the meet, entrance fees for family, concession, raffles, leo sales, 50/50.

In Quebec the federation does not allow gyms to charge for meet entry for families except for provincials. So it is not a huge money maker, plus for the provincial level meets you must hire the Gymnova equipment and have two sets for the meet, one for warm up and one for the actual comp.

Gyms can have concessions, raffles, leo sales etc. But after renting a place big enough for all that equipment, paying judges etc it is just not a money maker. The amount gymnasts are charged is also preset by the federation.

This is probably why it is hard to find people to host meets. Just not a ton of $$$$ in it here.

So I talked to some people about it tonight, and apparently yes, Alberta is for sure switching to JO next year (as we already knew), but its currently a huge mess and nobody really knows whats going on :(

Catou- it will be interesting to see what happens, I am pretty sure as of right now every province is under the impression that Quebec is not switching.
At least that is the word here from all the people who are working on making the switch.
What else will be interesting for next year is that in Alberta the first meet of the season is Trials to Alberta Winter Games, as the first JO meet here is could not go well.

In Saskatchewan we changed our gym cat program to junior Olympic levels 1-3. It was an adjustment especially on bars for the girls that were in it last year. I'm having a hard time teaching the front hip circle since I've never done it before. Our provincial level girls will switch in the fall. It's a good thing provincials are early this year so that we can work on these new skills and routines! Floor is going to be easy for us but bars is the tough one! Lots of free hip circles and handstands for us! Let's all help each other!

So we might not change next year after all. One of our Sports-Études coach was informed that the change won't be for the 2015-2016 season...

Personally, I'm pushing my kids so hard from low level P2 so they can be level 6 next year and skip the compulsory levels. I wish there was more info out now so I could know what exactly I should be doing to prepare them for next year!

In Quebec the federation does not allow gyms to charge for meet entry for families except for provincials. So it is not a huge money maker, plus for the provincial level meets you must hire the Gymnova equipment and have two sets for the meet, one for warm up and one for the actual comp.

Gyms can have concessions, raffles, leo sales etc. But after renting a place big enough for all that equipment, paying judges etc it is just not a money maker. The amount gymnasts are charged is also preset by the federation.

This is probably why it is hard to find people to host meets. Just not a ton of $$$$ in it here.

Bog I think Quebec is unique in this regard. Meets may not be the huge money makers like they are in the States, but I am pretty sure most other Provinces charge admission to meets. Even all the Natoonal meets you guys are hosting charge admission fees.

Yes I think it is unique, this applies to any qualifier for provincials. We only have about two invitationals in Quebec. Probably because they do not make much money.

It often happens that clubs do not want to host meets as they really make nothing.

Provincials and National meets do charge fees.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back