WAG XCEL Gold Judges, Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

On FB she comments that Xcel Gold is a combination of L5 and L6. It is not. I wonder why she thinks this? And maybe that's why she is so adamant on what she perceives to be a discrepancy of skills? Maybe (maybe?) if I believed Gold was equivalent to L5 or L6 and then saw L3/L4 skills I would be confused. It is clear that she does not understand the program her DD is part of. I remember her posting awhile back about Xcel around the time that her DD was switching over...can't remember the specifics though. I would be curious to know if her gym steered her into Xcel. She is hoping her DD will compete L6 or L7 next year. Based on the pictures from the recent meet, her form on beam/floor will need a lot of cleaning up if she is going to be competitive.

OP - Please consider some of the feedback you've gotten on this thread. Especially regarding the home gym. Also consider whether her current training will be able to get her to the highest level (if that's what you desire). Do a google search and look at videos of state champs and other podium finishers in L4 - L7. What you will see is impeccable form. Your DD has loads of talent. Make sure you are educated on what she needs to fully realize her talent.

I have seen it written somewhere by USA Gymnastics that Silver translates roughly to Level 3-4 and Gold to Level 4-5. That's how I use it to explain to people not familiar with XCEL as well.

I have seen it written somewhere by USA Gymnastics that Silver translates roughly to Level 3-4 and Gold to Level 4-5. That's how I use it to explain to people not familiar with XCEL as well.
That is what we were told. In USAG rules Gold has more of an overlap 3,4,5,6
Silver is 2,3

That is my understanding too. Around here I see mostly L4 equivalent skills in Gold (except for bars because not all Golds kip). If OP truly was under the impression that Gold is L5/L6 then I can see why she might think it's unfair. I don't know where she would have gotten that idea though. It just goes back to a lack of understanding about what Xcel is.

If OP truly was under the impression that Gold is L5/L6 then I can see why she might think it's unfair. I don't know where she would have gotten that idea though. It just goes back to a lack of understanding about what Xcel is.

No she gets there are a variety of skills with in the level she just thinks not good 5/6 stuff should beat good 3/4 stuff because it's a higher skill.

She doesn't like there is no degree of difficulty points. She thinks that is unfair.

And she doesn't understand how much form and execution counts. And she doesn't know what it looks like yet.

Here is the information about JO Levels and Xcel Levels:
https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/xcel/cop_rev_101314.pdf

Bronze: JO Levels 1,2
Silver: JO Levels 2,3
Gold: 3, 4, 5, 6
Platinum: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Diamond: 7, 8, 9

My DD is Gold, and competes skills that would put her in Level 6. However, we have also girls on our Gold team that have Level 4 skills at best.
That chart is not the JO equivalent… that is for girls moving to Xcel from JO… their "previous experience" dictates which levels they can enter into.

So, someone who had competed L3 previously could enter into Silver or Gold. If they competed L4, they are not eligible to compete Silver (the vault would be a step backwards at a minimum), but they could compete Gold or Platinum. Someone who had competed L6 could compete Gold or Platinum too, but I think Gold would only be for those L6s who had blocks or injuries and struggled on more than one event.
In our gym, if you are already competing Xcel and have a Kip and a salto on floor, you can try for Platinum … everyone can do a B on floor… on bars, they try for either an uprise or a clear hip… on beam, they try for a dive cartwheel or a jump turn of some sort. If you are coming from JO compulsory levels, 3s go to Gold. 4s follow the rules for girls already in Xcel. We don't move 5s to Xcel. They compete 5 until they score out 2x, then go to 6. Since all levels practice the same amount of time and practice together, as long as you are an Optional, it's all good :)

That chart is not the JO equivalent… that is for girls moving to Xcel from JO… their "previous experience" dictates which levels they can enter into.

So, someone who had competed L3 previously could enter into Silver or Gold. If they competed L4, they are not eligible to compete Silver (the vault would be a step backwards at a minimum), but they could compete Gold or Platinum. Someone who had competed L6 could compete Gold or Platinum too, but I think Gold would only be for those L6s who had blocks or injuries and struggled on more than one event.
In our gym, if you are already competing Xcel and have a Kip and a salto on floor, you can try for Platinum … everyone can do a B on floor… on bars, they try for either an uprise or a clear hip… on beam, they try for a dive cartwheel or a jump turn of some sort. If you are coming from JO compulsory levels, 3s go to Gold. 4s follow the rules for girls already in Xcel. We don't move 5s to Xcel. They compete 5 until they score out 2x, then go to 6. Since all levels practice the same amount of time and practice together, as long as you are an Optional, it's all good :)

I know a girl who went from L4 to Silver. I don't think it's a rule, more like recommendation maybe?

I know a girl who went from L4 to Silver. I don't think it's a rule, more like recommendation maybe?

We have 2 silvers on our team this year that competed 4 last year. There is such a huge range in skill, and every gym has such a different philosphy. Our silvers kip on bars and do bwo on beam. They also do robhsbt. I think that puts them at a 4/5 level. The vault is below a 4. But I could be wrong. I just know what my DD is doing.

And yes, the cleaner skills look so much better. DD likes to experiment, and some of the stuff is cringe worthy. Luckily her coach will not let her put some of her more cray ideas in her routine!

According to the chart, the title in "XCEL AGE/ENTRY REQUIREMENTS AND MOBILITY OVERVIEW"
I could only see a 4 competing Silver is she had blocks / injuries OR if she never should have been a L4 (never scored a 31 or better).

^^^^Yes and you still have kids skipping 1-5 and hitting optionals, with score outs.

Bottom line are what skills are comparable to Xcel vs JO levels. That is mostly accurate.

Reactions: sce
Raenndrops is correct, a JO level 4 should not be competing silver if they move over to Xcel, the chart she references shows the allowable transfer levels(accept by petition). Here is the info from Rules and policies:

If a JO Level 9 or below athlete wishes to enter the Xcel Program in a Division below the allowable Division, her coach may submit a “reason for change” letter to the Regional Technical Committee Chairman for approval.

• Valid reasons would include injury, illness, or other extenuating circumstances that would have prevented the athlete from continuing to train at the level at which they previously competed.

Raenndrops is correct, a JO level 4 should not be competing silver if they move over to Xcel, the chart she references shows the allowable transfer levels(accept by petition). Here is the info from Rules and policies:

If a JO Level 9 or below athlete wishes to enter the Xcel Program in a Division below the allowable Division, her coach may submit a “reason for change” letter to the Regional Technical Committee Chairman for approval.

• Valid reasons would include injury, illness, or other extenuating circumstances that would have prevented the athlete from continuing to train at the level at which they previously competed.
Thanks. I'm on my tablet, and couldnt find that - I knew it existed though (called a gym out on it before). Glad someone else reads the rules :)

I'm sorry, but to say it's not fair is not appropriate. My dd struggled with this last year in L7. She was very disheartened. The solution? She moved up to L8. As a matter of fact, the same thing happened a couple of weeks ago in L9 so it happens in every level, BUT to claim it's unfair is just not right. I'm going to assume that this is happening to a girl or girls in your gym, maybe not your dd, but essentially, when she's back, this unfairness will pertain to her more particularly. Here's my problem, you are upset by other teams strategies(philosophies) to get higher scores when your gym is pretty much doing the same thing. Obviously, a 7-8 year old that will be competing L6/7 next year is extremely talented and, I assume, looking towards higher levels, elite even? So why is it not 'unfair' that your gym is having her compete in Xcel, a program 'intended' to be more for the recreational gymnast, as opposed to JO compulsory levels?
Actually no- she is as high as she is allowed to compete based on age. This is our gym's only option since they do not do lvl 5. And I doubt she will go into those higher levels or elite- her flexibility is holding her back in form and she will never attain perfect form in some elements. Her hamstrings are like strings- not rubber bands. And no amount of stretching has helped.

I'm really not trying to stir the pot here, but based on my very limited knowledges of Xcel and a quick internet search, I doubt these routines you mention are actually more difficult, technically, per FIG skill values. More progressed (i.e. BT instead of BHS)? Yes, but more difficult? More than likely not.
I'm pretty sure a robhsbt is more difficult than a robhsbhs, a fly away layout is much more difficult than a 1/2 twist dismount, and a bwo is more difficult than a cartwheel on beam.

Does your state have a higher age requirement for Level 6 and 7?
I had thought at age 7 she could be scoring out of 5 and already be competing Level 7. Or is your gym making her do Platinum before she scores out of Level 5?
She had to score out of lvl 4 this summer, and also has to score out of lvl 5 to go to lvl 6. So the gym didn't want to push for learning so many routines at once and will score out of lvl 5 this upcoming summer instead of crunching it all into 1 summer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back