WAG Bar settings FIG question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Great question, and thanks coachp! Puma Jr was trying to tell me that her bar setting is further than FIG and that didn't sound right to me. She's 51&3/4 inches (just had md appt) but she does like it further than other kids her height. She kept telling me something along the lines of # below #...lol I'll have to ask her again now that I am armed with this knowledge...

My daughter is at a new gym
And since changing she keeps hitting her feet on her pAK. She is wondering if the bar settings are the same. Her old bars were on FIG for HOPES. Here she says they are on 2 below 4 and her coach said its the same. But another coach said the F setting on the bars is FIG so now she is even more confused which is the one she was using before.

Depends on where your low bar spreader is. Most gyms leave the low bar spreader all the way up, which makes "FIG" be 2 below 4.

Many gyms have their older kids compete at a wide setting. If the low bar spreader is all the way up and the high bar spreader is all the way down, that is the widest the bars will go. Many coaches have taken to just leaving the low bar spreader all the way up and only moving the one on the high bar in an attempt to save time at meets. :)

So on the high bar, there are a bunch of horizontal lines/rings. Every other one is labelled with a number, descending as you go down (so 1 is above 2). Thus, 2 below 3=two lines under the line marked with a 3=4. Where there should be a 5, an F (for the FIG setting) is written.
It looks something like this:
-
-
3 .
-
-
F
-
-
and so forth

as previous posters have written, there are more things you can adjust on the bars than just the height of the high bar spreader (low bar spreader, low/high bar height). perhaps one of those settings are different, or she has just grown a lot recently-that can make the bar settings feel different

There are three lines between each number and there is a 5...

"2 below 4" is not "F" on the spreader, but halfway between 4 and F. However, it is the FIG setting with the low bar spreader placed all the way up.

The placement of the low bar spreader effects the number you would use on the high bar spreader.

So can we just get rid of all the confusion please? To be FIG, what does the low rail and high rail height have to be set at? What about the low rail spacer cuff, and the high bar spacer cuff? All these factors have to be taken into account. Let's get a definitive answer for these questions.

http://www.fig-gymnastics.com/publicdir/rules/files/app-norms/Apparatus Norms 2014-e.pdf

page 68

Height of the upper edge of the bars in inner diagonal position 180 cm: upper bar (to the floor) 250 cm * 1,0 cm lower bar (to the floor) 170 cm * 1,0 cm.
Inner diagonal distance (see drawing) between the 2 bars adjustable from min 130- 180 cm max * 1,0 cm
The diagonal distance must be adjustable continuously or with
increments of max 2 cm.
The diagonal distance (expressed in cm) must be shown on a scale
at the distance adjustment device.
The height of the bars must be adjustable for additional 10 cm to the
standard height (lower bar: 170+10 cm; upper bar: 250+10 cm *1cm).
At the increased height the inner diagonal distance between the bars
shall be not more than 182 max* 1,0 cm
Height increases of 10 cm shall be allowed in competitions for
gymnasts who touch the mat with their feet during the exercise. This
must be announced to the organizers at the time of the nominative
entry and verified by the President or a member of the Superior Jury
during the training.

so glad we don't have all this confusion. Our bar heights are set. We don't have spreaders moveable at low and high bar. We have one width adjuster. Mostly set to FIG. We move it in for little kids.

Thanks everyone! We will talk to the coach to make sure she is on FIG. It wasn't a growth issue because she has it fine for months. Then the next day she started at the new gyn(we moved) she hit her feet from day one. So it's something with the new gym. She's been there a month now and still hits her feet. It's very strange.

So can we just get rid of all the confusion please? To be FIG, what does the low rail and high rail height have to be set at? What about the low rail spacer cuff, and the high bar spacer cuff? All these factors have to be taken into account. Let's get a definitive answer for these questions.

AAI bars have a setting that says F. If you don't want to move anything, then setting the bars to F on both rails and "the line" for bar height will be FIG.

The reason some people leave the low bar spreader up and don't use F on the high bar spreader is because older kids at their gym use the bars all the way out so the spreader is basically level. If you leave the low one on F it's not level and not all the way out. When the low bar spreader is set all the way up, if you don't want to move that and still want to have the diagonal width between the bars be equivalent to F, you can put the high bar on 2 below 4. Then the diagonal width between the bars is equivalent to having it all on F.

I don't really know of any other permutations off the top of my head but again F is a diagonal width between the two bars so you can always measure. It should be 180cm as far as I know. Some bar sets just have the cm marked on one spreader and have one point of adjustment there. But that's not typical, most of the time you have the AAI system which I described above.

Thanks. The coach says she is on fig. So we are back at a lost how literally overnight a skill she had for so long has so drastically changed. She has no mental or fear issues but can not fix it. Because she doesn't know what she's doing wrong.

Thanks everyone! We will talk to the coach to make sure she is on FIG. It wasn't a growth issue because she has it fine for months. Then the next day she started at the new gyn(we moved) she hit her feet from day one. So it's something with the new gym. She's been there a month now and still hits her feet. It's very strange.
honestly a half inch on the low bar on a Pak isn't going to make a difference. She is not scooping her feet correctly and now its in her head. Remember Nastia did Pak on FIG. She just needs to set up a block and do Pak to blocking position to the block, Problem solved in a few turns. in other words she doesn't trust her scoop and is modifying it so as to not hit her feet which is screwing her up...

Also,,, this is kind of important,,, do the new coaches know how to teach a Pak? In other words do they have kids on team who they have taught a paK or just kids they have gotten elsewhere that had them...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back