WAG Level 6 Bars question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I actually thought no that the compulsory levels are very important. Even the picky little things serve to force the girls to b picky with everything. The focus on all the little details of a routine in level for or five teaches them to focus on all the little details of a routine in level seven. It's paying attention to head, chin, legs, toes, fingers, arms, cast form etc that will stand out later on IMO.

I have seen this sentiment before, and I'm trying to repeat it to myself every once in awhile because I am so "there" right now. I can't help sometimes feeling like I want Puma Jr to be DONE with compulsories, but you wise BTDT people are helping me keep it in check...thank you.

For my daughter, form doesn't come naturally, it still doesn't after years of being in gymnastics. She says she always has to think about it. I think doing years of compulsories and repeating levels helped her a lot. She could focus on specific details and her form. She did 2 years of old level 4, 2 years of old level 5, a year of old level 6 with spring season as a 7, 2nd year of 7, 2 years of 8 and now hoping for 9 next year, but fine with a 3rd year of 8 if she doesn't get her skills. Every kid follows a different path and it's really a marathon for most kids, not a sprint.

I think struggling has made her a stronger gymnast and stronger person. And have seen kids that flew through levels easily, quit when the struggles came. Hang in there. Enjoy the process and the little successes. My daughter has always been a solid middle of the pack gymnast, but she's happy and loves it. And sometimes it all comes together and she's been on top sometimes, too!

;);)
For my daughter, form doesn't come naturally, it still doesn't after years of being in gymnastics. She says she always has to think about it. I think doing years of compulsories and repeating levels helped her a lot. She could focus on specific details and her form. She did 2 years of old level 4, 2 years of old level 5, a year of old level 6 with spring season as a 7, 2nd year of 7, 2 years of 8 and now hoping for 9 next year, but fine with a 3rd year of 8 if she doesn't get her skills. Every kid follows a different path and it's really a marathon for most kids, not a sprint.

I think struggling has made her a stronger gymnast and stronger person. And have seen kids that flew through levels easily, quit when the struggles came. Hang in there. Enjoy the process and the little successes. My daughter has always been a solid middle of the pack gymnast, but she's happy and loves it. And sometimes it all comes together and she's been on top sometimes, too!
Thank you! I really do believe that they each have their own journeys and small victories should be celebrated. Puma Jr is certainly on a different path than I would have ever imagined a year ago, but I also do believe that things happen for a reason. I fully admit it's tough sometimes for my type A personality to just trust that things will work out the way they should, but I'm trying;) Lots of good knowledge and advice on this whole thread, thanks to all :)

Munchkin3 gave a great description of L6. I keep hearing it is easier than L5 but I disagree if you want to be competitive (at least around here). Our girls did FLO or FHS-FP, BHSBLO on floor and every girl had a flight on beam along with a series. The description of bars is spot on, we saw Giants, KCH to clear hip HS on the high bar this season. You can medal without those things at regular meets (though maybe not top 3) but states and regionals are tough.

You are so right on that. My daughter had trouble with bars at level 6 state- messed up on both CHS and her clear hip wasn't high enough. She ended up scoring in the 7s :(

That routine really stood out (not in a good way) with routines from girls doing giants and clear hips to handstand on high and low bars who scored in the high 9s. I think she got last place on bars and it killed her AA. With big name gyms in her session she didn't do so well.

Everyone's path is indeed their own and in no way should you shy away from challenge. Bars is a tough even for many. Gymnastics is very tough period.
Another thing puma, as long as your gym is uptraining and really pushing the girls in conditioning, the the level will be clear toward the beginning of the season. I would not even consider 'what level' right now.

It has been truly liberating with younger gymmie because I just don't care anymore. I'm so tired of wondering what level, and what skills, and what she's going to do in high school, and in college......it's ridiculous. I just started really enjoying gymnastics recently.
I don't ask my daughter stupid questions anymore.....I've gotten good at letting it be. Not a single person in my gym can dictate where the girls are going to compete in 9 months and there are so many factors......skills, fears, injuries, desire, program, puberty....it goes on!
All I ask from the coaching staff is to keep feeding my daughters fire right now. She loves it. She wants more.....don't stress her out with, 'you're going to have to learn blah, blah, blah' and you HAVE to compete level 100000..... She doesn't want to hear it. She wants to do crazy stuff, with her coaches spotting her and have FUN.

For MY daughter, she already is a perfectionist, so she does not like to have additional un needed pressure....it takes the fun away. I wish I had learned this with my son but then again, he was very different!

Another thing puma, as long as your gym is uptraining and really pushing the girls in conditioning, the the level will be clear toward the beginning of the season
Yes, we do lots of uptraining! HC thinks it keeps girls interested and excited and I totally agree. It's great for Puma Jr too because she can "show off" skills that her teammates don't have yet. She told me that though the coaches think kid x,y and z are the "superstars", that her teammates think she is! Lol And they do conditioning as a fifth rotation, so just as much can time is spent on it as any event. So we shall see! Thanks again :)

I would agree, except in bars......L6 bars is pretty unforgiving.......if puma has all the level 5 skills, the big jump is to get the cast HS and the free hip REALLY HIGH........preferable free hip HS. If the L5 routine is performed in 6, most likely you will see 8s depending on the area.

In the other events I would agree, you can tailor make it......

Our team just sent some girls to L6 regionals and they were doing CHS, decent free hips....on floor FHS-FLO and the BHS-BT.....beam only with BWO-BWO or the BWO BT dismount.....

They did well. The key here is once you hit optionals if you want your DD to score HIGH, they need to be close to a L7..... If you just want your DD to compete 6 to get there and fix it later, then it's good too but expect 34s.......it's a non forgiving level but that doesn't mean it's not good. I think it's a great introductory optional level and the girls really see what they are up against at competitions.

Mine peaked a bit late as she just got her BHS on beam, CHS and FH to HS and the floor FHS-FT.......oh well.
But a free hip handstand is a C skill. The higher the better, yes ... But no need to stress over getting it to handstand when it isn't necessary.

It's all very interesting. My DD is set to (finally) score out of 5 in May (hopefully) and then will do either 6 or Xcel, depending on what teams form. She's got a cast to over horizontal but not close to handstand yet. And clear hip to horizontal most days I believe. But Xcel is seeming to be more forgiving, especially in her situation being an almost 13 year old gymnast. Not sure how likely she is to get to handstand at her age? Seems like that skill is often learned young. Either way, I've learned a bit from this post and find it fascinating. I also think they make it confusing so we parents are kept clueless and in the dark. Ha Ha. Probably better that way anyway.

Yes a clear hip below horizontal gets up to 0.4 in execution deduction for amplitude (every clear circling skill and cast is subject to execution deduction for amplitude). But it is still a B and does not affect start value. Everything you posted up there confirms that. Only if hips touch bar is the skill devalued to an A(turns into a back hip circle)

This is 100% correct :)

It's all very interesting. My DD is set to (finally) score out of 5 in May (hopefully) and then will do either 6 or Xcel, depending on what teams form. She's got a cast to over horizontal but not close to handstand yet. And clear hip to horizontal most days I believe. But Xcel is seeming to be more forgiving, especially in her situation being an almost 13 year old gymnast. Not sure how likely she is to get to handstand at her age? Seems like that skill is often learned young. Either way, I've learned a bit from this post and find it fascinating. I also think they make it confusing so we parents are kept clueless and in the dark. Ha Ha. Probably better that way anyway.

My dd turned 13 as a level 6. She was/is the oldest on her team. She eventually got her cast handstand and her clear hip to handstand and she also got her giants. In fact, she was the first on the team to get giants, even though among the last to get a cast handstand. Don't rule out bars for older gymnasts. Just make sure she conditions, because that core strength is key.

My dd turned 13 as a level 6. She was/is the oldest on her team. She eventually got her cast handstand and her clear hip to handstand and she also got her giants. In fact, she was the first on the team to get giants, even though among the last to get a cast handstand. Don't rule out bars for older gymnasts. Just make sure she conditions, because that core strength is key.

Thanks so much for sharing! Good to know it can happen. I agree the core strength will be important. She's actually a good bar worker but it's the fear that I think holds her back. Everything is scary to her before she learns a skill and until she's done it over and over and over.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back