Alberta switching to JO next year...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What does everyone think of this? Anyone from other provinces that have already switched have any insight on it? I'm finding it frusterating trying to get the provincial kids ready for this year and then thinking about all the skills I'm pushing them on so hard, that won't even be needed next year. At least CPN is staying the same. Also, does anyone know if we'll still be using the FIG scoring system, or going back to the 10, as the states does in JO?

This is a great question, I believe it will be going back to the 10, but someone please correct me if I am wrong. Will levels 1 - 5 be compulsory routines with the same music and choreography like in the US?

I understand all of Canada is going to JO next year, and back to the 10. But there does not seem to be much info online about it.

I cannot even imagine the horror of introducing those compulsory routines to girls who have had their own routines for a while.

As of right now I think the plan is to incorporate L1-9 in Alberta and keep National Novice and Open as the L10 equivalent. But who knows, that could change.
L1-9 will be scored out of 10, pretty much identical to JO in the states, the only things that will be different will be CPN, National, and High Performance.
Compulsory routines will be brought in, workshops and the like are being in the process of being organized now.
Everyone is trying to figure it all out and help each other out.
Either way I think in the end it will be for the best.

I wonder who has the task of re-educating all of the judges across the country? Could be a bit if a nightmare !

I wonder who has the task of re-educating all of the judges across the country? Could be a bit if a nightmare !

It's already switched in a few Provinces and I think there were lots of courses and workshops and a large learning curve in the first season.

It's already switched in a few Provinces and I think there were lots of courses and workshops and a large learning curve in the first season.
I bet and here being so small with not a very large judge pool I bet they will find it very difficult.

It seems to have been a relatively painless process here in Ontario, but I'm just a parent. Coaches and judges may have a different perspective. Also, last year was a transition where the JO levels were adopted but levels 1 to 5 didn't have compulsory routines yet. It appears that quite a few girls in level 6 this year, particularly in the older age groups, weren't quite ready for it but were pushed up to avoid the compulsory levels. You'd think some of the smaller gyms would prefer not having to choreograph a different routine for each kid anyway!

I am curious about the future of the CPN program though. Many girls who do Aspire and Elite seem to end up doing JO levels 7, 8 and/or 9 and only a handful go straight into National Novice. It seems to me that most girls would be just as well served burning through (or slowly ascending) the JO levels to reach the national level, as they do in the States.

Same here in BC. Lots of education for coaches and judges. There will be a learning curve the first few meets that judges score, but so far the girls at our gym have adapted quite easily.

I just heard with the switch....they eventually will weed out CPN, National Open and National Novice. It will be Provincial and Junior and Senior.

Is that true? Anyone know?

I just heard with the switch....they eventually will weed out CPN, National Open and National Novice. It will be Provincial and Junior and Senior.

Is that true? Anyone know?

I wouldn't be surprised this is in the works considering the way our gym is using (not using) CPN this year. They would have to add a level 10 in to replace national open though.

Thats what I heard - Level 10 will replace National Open...

CPN is a good program for some kids... it certainly has some pluses... the only thing I didn't like in CPN was the vaulting.

My dd won't be affected as she is novice and hopefully a junior next year... we will wait and see...

I wouldn't be surprised this is in the works considering the way our gym is using (not using) CPN this year. They would have to add a level 10 in to replace national open though.

My daughter was in one year CPN elite then went to novice at age 11. It was tough. She had minimum skill requirements in most of her first year.

So if you go from provincials to novice that would mean you would need to be level 9 or 10 at age 10. As novice is age 10.11.12.

But mind you if they get rid of novice then you would have until age 13 - juniors in the provincial stream. Which makes more sense

So many changes.

This is so interesting. The Jump from CPN Elite to National Novice seems to be huge as far as skills go.

Bog might be able to answer this- is Quebec for sure switching to JO?
I was told by a judge this weekend that the reasoning behind only doing L1-9 and keeping National seperate is because Quebec said they would never make the switch, so they wanted to keep the highest levels the same for Nationals and such.
Not sure how much truth is in that, I guess we will see.

In terms of training there are already committees working to figure out everything and workshops and the such with be organized soon I am sure. Most coaches and judges are willing to share and discuss with anyone around about the changes.

I am certainly not looking forward to compulsory routines. Right now I am able to work routines to the advantages of my kids playing on the strengths, particularly on floor. I have kids that have the minimum requirements on floor but getting full (.6) bonus on things like side aerial, switch split and double turn. What about kids who aren't dance-y? Will they get nailed on that compared to now where they have routines that are choreographed pretty easy to help them score better? I'd rather just stay with CPP o_O:(:mad:

I have seen nothing that suggests Quebec will or won't. Nothing on the federation site and nobody is talking about it. @catou might know more as she coaches regional and provincial girls in Quebec. BUt Quebec has always been "special" so it would not surprise me if Quebec avoided the change.

The compulsory routines requires working on a very specific set of skills that just are not the focus of the CPP. It will be very interesting to see how this evolves.

We are also switching. At least for the provincial levels. That's what I've been told by the person who is responsible of the regional circuit in my club. She's also a judge. That was in august.

I coach P2 novice this year and I can think of one who would have a hard time with a compulsory routine on beam for example, as her back doesn't allow her to do back walkover. She'll probably never do them again in her routine but hopefully she'll be able to be a optional gymnast and will have a roundoff or a backhandpsring for her beam routine... We'll see. Competition season ends early for girls who aren't going to the coupe Qc and provincials. We have our last qualifier on the 21st. So uptaining will be interesting as we don't know what we'll be preparing for.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back