Parents different coaching styles and kids

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

eryes

Proud Parent
I've got 2 DD's that were recently moved up to the pre-team. My girls have a long school day and the gym we were at started practice before the girls got out of school. I thought about sticking it out with the girls missing 1 of the 3 hrs of practice a week, but the schedule won't change until they reach L5. Since that could take a year or 2, I thought it best to switch gyms.

We did a clinic and a trial class at the new gym. Coming from a ballet background, I really like the new gyms super hands on coaching and the amount of conditioning they make the girls do. But after the 1st trial class (we go back again tonight for the 2nd trial class), one of my DD's says she misses the old gym and thinks the new gym is "hard." I'm pretty sure this response is coming from the fact that she wasn't corrected (body form) all that often in the old gym and this gym really stresses it. She was more than capable of doing everything during class - even the new coach commented on her strength... so I guess what I'm trying to ask is - how long does it, has it for you, taken for your kids to adjust to a different coaching style? And if your family transferred from a "fun" gym (that works on skills but doesn't do much conditioning) to a gym works skills and strength hand in hand, how long did it take your child to realize the importance of the conditioning?

I hope I'm making sense...

Thanks!

Ok, the answer is.....?? One dd may take to the new gym in a day and be perfectly fine while the other might take a few weeks. Its all very individualized. Then there can be the problem of missing friends or whatever from the old gym.
After the 2nd trial class, see if one of the coaches can sit down with you and dds and explain a little bit about their coaching style in terms the girls understand. Many times if they are told why there is more correction, emphasis on posture, form etc, they are fine with it and the transition is much easier.

My DD wanted to quit gymnastics about a month into switching to our new gym due to the increased conditioning. It was SO MUCH harder than the old gym that she felt she couldn't take it. We had a meeting with her coach and her coach committed to coach her to the best of her ability (wasn't coached at old gym, berated) and Kayla committed to complete the season. After that she felt much better about the conditioning. The other thing were the corrections. The corrections really upset her and she would complain that nothing she ever did was good enough. I explained to her that the coaches were not angry with her they were correcting her gymnastics, not her as a person. This was a real turning point for her and after that was able to take corrections, make the nec. changes (sometimes) and move on.

Overall, took her about 6 months to adjust. After 2 months, it was better. But definitely a good 6 months or more to really feel like it is her gym.

When we moved DD to a different gym 2 years ago, it was a little tough. They did a lot more conditioning and she was behind their L4s skill wise. She was almost 7 at the time. Luckily, though they expected a lot from the girls, the coaching was very positive and she took well to this. It definitely takes time though.

What she is feeling is definitely normal. And honestly, some kids just don't do well with team-type programs and maybe be happier in a rec class. I would give her some time to adjust and then see if she is happy, doing well. If she is, great! If not, she might not be ready for team right now and maybe they could have her do rec classes for awhile. Conditioning and good form are very important. My DD was at a gym that didn't stress that as much and she had to re-learn so much. And she also had a lot of catching up to do strength wise! It was frustrating for her sometimes (re-learning skills and routines, especially), but I talked to her about how the things new gym was doing were good things, she started to see how much she was improving and how strong she was getting. Now she LOVES strength/conditioning!! She even does it at home. :)

... one of my DD's says she misses the old gym and thinks the new gym is "hard." I'm pretty sure this response is coming from the fact that she wasn't corrected (body form) all that often in the old gym and this gym really stresses it. She was more than capable of doing everything during class - even the new coach commented on her strength... so I guess what I'm trying to ask is - how long does it, has it for you, taken for your kids to adjust to a different coaching style? And if your family transferred from a "fun" gym (that works on skills but doesn't do much conditioning) to a gym works skills and strength hand in hand, how long did it take your child to realize the importance of the conditioning?

I hope I'm making sense...

Thanks!

DD1 was able to adjust the 1st day, DD2 it took about 4 weeks. I guess it depends on the child and their personality. If it makes you feel any better, I honestly thought DD2 would never adjust, but she has, and is all smiles when I pick her up now :) Hang in there...

First let me say it is hard to switch gyms. We switched a year ago this month and while it was the right move the philosophy change was difficult. We moved to a gym that does a lot more conditioning and has a different way of coaching. My dd was young (7) and we had the coach explain why conditioning was important. Then I told my daughter she could set her own goals about conditioning and when she achieved them she put a sticker on a chart at home, she felt a sense of accomplishment when she made the goals and that made her enjoy it more. It took dd a month or so to get used to the new gym it took me a little longer:)

this is one of those cases of over parenting. and i mean that endearingly. here's the jist...no options! if you think you're making a sound decision, and in part what you said in your post, then stick with it and tell your daughter that's the way it is or go do something else.

my gym is considered a "hard" gym. new charges take about a month to adjust. they will adapt and adjust. don't worry about 'mommie dearest'.:)

I think change is hard for everyone but often more difficult for adults.
She will adjust and it wil become her norm. When my daughter has a difficult practice, we just switched too, I let her vocalise her frustrations and feelings then assure her it will be fine, she will get use to it and then I have her tell me a few things she did well. As long as it is a good gym and you trust the coach it will work out, just give it some time.

We never switched gyms, but the next best thing, is to get a new head coach. My dd is a Lvl 8 now but when she was 10 a new head coach arrived, the new philosophy was INCREASED CONDITIONING She doesnt like it, and lets face it, not to many of us LOVE to work out , but we quickly see the effects of it. It improves their performance tremendously, though at such a young age, they are not going to understand that. Your dd will adjust, at that age, they make friends easily, and the issue of the "conditioning" will just become a part of what they do. :)
Next time you see a higher level meet, like lvl 7 or 8, watch the girls on bars, when they drag their feet on the mat, and a lot of them do, its not only a deduction, but a clear message that that team doesnt beleive in conditioning.

It can take awhile...adjusting to the new routine will probably be the easiest part...leaving friends behind seems to be the hardest. My daughter switched gyms at the beginning of Jan and really likes the coaches and how practice is ran...but she is missing her old teammates...just tonight she said it was liking moving to a new state and never getting to see her old friends...she'd been with them for 3 years...and hasn't really formed a close bond with any of her new teammates..yet!

So good luck the with transition...the extra conditioning is a plus!!

What dunno said. Also I'm a fan of programs that have age/skill appropriate focus on conditioning. It's very hard for a gymnast in some cases to make corrections or get new skills if the coach hasn't given them the opportunity to develop the strength necessary to see a change. It's part of enabling them to develop, though it may not be fun at first. I've met a lot of little ones who did NOT like pull ups, but no complaints when they were finally able to do a pullover from a still hang on the bars. All smiles then, and you bet I point out the connection between the effort in their strength having results with their skills! Once they understand strength equals skills from personal experience, it's a major attitude changer for conditioning.

Just an update - I can say wholeheartedly that the girls have/are making the adjustment. We finally had a good week - all smiles, that feeling of accomplishment, and the beginning of making friends. And thank you for the support... you guys gave me some good ideas! I showed the girls some youtube videos of the "big girls" conditioning and explained the importance in getting strong to do skills. The coach also talked to the girls about conditioning. And I think it really started to hit home when we began showing up early for practice to watch the team girls do their conditioning. I think at that point they realized it wasn't just their class that had to "work hard."

My anxiety is fading - so I'm feeling like I won't need to watch practice so much. (Planning on walking or running nearby since it's too far to drive home) But I am very happy with the switch. Today the girls worked on the beam - something they haven't done since we got there - and all the extra conditioning has made them much more stable. It almost made me laugh seeing how important all those drills are... I even pointed it out to the girls after practice this evening.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back