events you thought you/your dd would be good at vs. events you're actually good at

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I thought this would be a fun thread!

Before starting gymnastics I always thought I would be best at bars and beam. I thought vault seemed totally scary and I always said I wouldn't want to do that if I was in gym.

As it turns out, bars and vault are my best and favorite events now, and beam is my nemesis. I had NO IDEA I would love vault this much!

What events would you have thought you or your dd would be good at, and what events are they actually good at? (Can also be what you thought they would like vs. what they actually like)

I thought i would be good at beam and floor and i was right, they are my two best apparatus, i thought i would like bars, i have now dropped bars and vault i never really thought about

I thought DD, with her build, coordination and flexibility, would be good at everything! I didn't count on the fact that she would have form issues! It's so hard for her to remember to pull her core in tight so that her handstands are hollow, or to keep her legs straight and toes pointed. I just assumed that when she started to train that would come, but it's been almost 2 years on team and she still has form issues! She's been good at skills for the most part, as I expected. Some she gets right away, others take the typical length of time. She's only really gotten hung up on the L4 beam dismount, but that's mostly because she was so loose she wasn't getting the handstand over the beam properly, and therefore couldn't manage the quarter turn. She's sort of pushed past that now and can get the dismount almost every time (though it's not always that pretty). Beam is her worst event because of her form issues - she's so wobbly and loose, and it causes her to fall at times.

DD was good at the bars from the start- and it continues to be her strongest event. She got her pullover very quickly unassisted at age 4 and has been quick to acquire new skills on the bars ever since- Mill Circle- no problem- next hurdle- the dreaded kip- so far so good- she has to get her arms straight when getting up on the bar but other than that is very close (and probably will be "very close" for a while I suspect- I think this skill is a tough nut to crack).

Her biggest challenge- vault although she was able to break into the 9's on vault at her last meet of the season- major accomplishment for her- she really struggles with all aspects of the vault- the run, maintaining speed, hitting the vault board correctly, good form etc. etc. etc.

So- to answer the question I guess I always figured she'd be good at bars b/c that is the apparatus she seems to be able to acquire new skills on the easiest- who knows what the future holds it may change in the coming years.

Interesting thread. Honestly, DD is still so young it's hard to tell what her strongest event is, but she does seem to like bars the best. Her strongest area is actually her form! She has gorgeous straight legs and pointed toes without even thinking about it......when she can do the skill. If she's just learning the skill, a lot of that can go right out the window, lol. It will be interesting to see how that all plays out over time!

My older dd is strong at beam and floor and has always been that way and she has always struggled on bars the most. I kind of assumed my younger dd would be the same as her sister, but her favorite event is bars! It makes me smile and of course remember that they are so very different!

I would say that dd's best event is beam. She just loves getting up there and doing new tricks. Thankfully (knock on wood), she hasn't gotten injured yet. She's very excited to compete this fall.

I would say her next favorite is floor because she loves to tumble. Then vault. Bars is another story. She has to work REALLY hard to get those skills. But she's finally starting to get there. I just hate mill circles (with a passion!)

Before I joined gymnastics, I thought I'd be food at tumbling and beam because I had nice basic, basic skills. Turns out beam is not my best at all and tumbling is good but bot as good as I thought it would be! I always thought bars would be impossible- I thought kips were the hardest thing I ever saw- but turns out that it's my best :)

I thought I'd be best at floor and beam, because I was coming from acrobat classes. I thought I'd be bad at bars too. That was the case for about a year or two, but now they seemed to have switched!

My dd's best event is bars. She loves it. If she could, she would spend all of her time on them. I thought her best event was going to be vault. That's actually her worst event. I thought her worst event was going to be beam because she has inner ear issues (has a hole in her ear drum), but behind bars beam its her next best.

I never had any thought of what her best event would be when she started gym. In Level 4 she was pretty good at every event, but I thought before she competed that she had the most scoring potential on bars if she didn't fall. In Level 5 I still see bars as being the event where she will probably be the strongest, but it's not her best event currently. She pretty much already had the skills for beam and floor and she's still learning the bar routine. Vault is her worst. It was her hardest in Level 4 too, though once she got it she scored well. Her 2 highest scores came on vault and bars in level 4, though I think vault just tends to have higher scores in general than the other events.

DD's best event is bars (I'm scared by all the L6 bar comments but she's looking good so far). I'm not sure I ever thought about a best event when she joined the team, but I signed her up for her first class after seeing her 'vault' off the couch as a two year old (I only wish I had it on video tape!!). I expected floor to be her weakest event, but her strong tumbling has helped overcome her lack of natural grace.

I don't have a favorite event because.... im not going into that, but i've always hated tumbling and 3 years ago when my ex-coach said i would most likely follow the older teamates and join tramp and tumbling i laughed like crazy. Yesterday as i was relearning tumbling (im a tumbling headcase) one of the tumbling coaches said i had the most beautiful and powerful tumbling he had ever seen and that i should let him coach me for tramp and tumbling, what a laugh :)

All my life, whenever I watched gymnastics, mostly during the olympics, I never paid attention to vaulting. I always found it boring. So you know what's coming--my darling daughter is a fantastic vaulter, and it is now, of course, my favorite event to watch. She also loves the floor, then bars, and then her nemesis, the beam.

I thought it was a cool idea for a thread to think about what a gymmie might be best at later on - because it for a lot of girls it does change from one level to the next.
I think at the baby stage DD will likely do best on floor. But I wouldn't be surprised if she turns out to be a good vaulter in the long run.

I don't remember exactly what I thought I would be best at when first started gymnastics, but now vault is definatly my best event, I'm one of the best in my gym. I'm also good at tumbling, and I always though that vault and floor would be fun so I guess my wish came true.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back