WAG How to improve endurance? Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnast-mac

Gymnast
I'm going into my second year of level 7 and I'm looking for ways to improve my endurance for floor routines. At the gym we'll do 'endurance routines' where we substitute the tumbling passes for sprinting (from current corner to the one you'd end tumbling pass in 3 times) or the same thing with lunge walks, squat jumps, and other conditioning. It seems to help, but not as much as I need it to. Besides, I can't really do that at home. We also run the stairs at the gym one practice a week, and I have been running the stairs at my house. Are there any other things (besides just running) that I can do to improve my endurance? Floor really wasn't my favorite event last year because I felt pretty tired after only one routine, and I want to change that.

Yes, there are lots of things that you can do to improve your endurance, and you are doing several of them. The most common thing that I've found with girls and coaches that claim they don't have enough endurance is that the truth of the matter is that they don't breath! Sounds weird, but believe me it's true. Next time you do a routine, spend more time noticing your breathing, and see how often, and from where (the stomach or upper chest) you do your breathing. I spend a lot of time on that with my girls, and they always think it's magic how much more 'endurance' they have. Good luck, and let us know. :)

We combine running and tumbling during conditioning and it seems help all of us with endurance. The group will line up and be numbered. Then, we start running around the floor. The coach will call out "round off backhand spring" and girl number one, without stopping, will run into the nearest corner right into the tumbling pass. Then, girl number 2 runs into the next corner and so on. It has really helped all of us and it gets you prepared for tumbling when you are really tired or out of breathe.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back