WAG It's all coming to an end...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flips123

Gymnast
and it's so bittersweet. I competed my last meet ever today and I'm feeling nostalgic. I'm headed off to college in the fall and I'm so not ready to be done. To me gymnastics is more than a sport, it has been a huge part of my life for so long (okay maybe 6 years isn't that long but it sure feels like it) and has helped to shape me in to who I am today.

From my first pull over to my last layout, it has done so much more than teach me how to run at stationary objects and leap across something four inches wide, four feet off of the ground. It has given me an outlet, a place to work and to set and reach goals. It's taught me the value of hard work and perseverance. I am stronger (both mentally and physically), more resilient and more determined because of it. I've overcome countless injuries (torn ACL, fractured back, pre-OCD, bunches of strains/sprains), frustrations and disappointments.

I've made friends who will last a lifetime and have had coaches who have supported me and pushed me through it all. Not to mention the hours my parents spent driving me and all that they sacrificed so I could progress in this crazy sport. I cannot thank them enough.

So here's to all of the ripped hands, rolled ankles, beams split, and mats eaten. Here's to the feeling of flying, nailing a skill, sticking a landing, and podium finishes. It's been one crazy journey, but it sure has been worth it.

Best of luck to you! Maybe your competition days aren't over...many colleges have club gymnastics, so it might be an option. Either way -- nice to hear how gymnastics made an imprint on your life. I hope my daughter has the same feeling when she is done.

Best of luck to you! Maybe your competition days aren't over...many colleges have club gymnastics, so it might be an option. Either way -- nice to hear how gymnastics made an imprint on your life. I hope my daughter has the same feeling when she is done.
Unfortunately my college of choice doesn't :( It has so many opportunities for me, gymnastics just doesn't happen to be one of them. Luckily, the university is fairly close to my current gym so I know that there are plenty of visits in store along with coaching opportunities and open gyms. And I hope that it will end on a high note for your daughter as well:)

Very beautifully written. Congrats to you for making it to this point, and good luck in college! I am sure what you have learned from gymnastics will help you be successful in whatever you choose to do next.
Thank you for your kind words!

Unfortunately my college of choice doesn't :( It has so many opportunities for me, gymnastics just doesn't happen to be one of them. Luckily, the university is fairly close to my current gym so I know that there are plenty of visits in store along with coaching opportunities and open gyms. And I hope that it will end on a high note for your daughter as well:)
You can STILL compete in NAIGC even if your college doesn't have a club team. You could register as an individual under the NAIGC Alumni Club... or you could look into STARTING a gymnastics club team (maybe your gym would let them practice there for a good price). You could also compete in USAIGC meets if there were no NAIGC meets around.
http://www.naigc.net/faq.php#wcjtn

Good luck to you!
That was indeed beautifully written. I, too, hope that my daughter will end her gymnastics career on such a beautiful note ;)

You can STILL compete in NAIGC even if your college doesn't have a club team. You could register as an individual under the NAIGC Alumni Club... or you could look into STARTING a gymnastics club team (maybe your gym would let them practice there for a good price). You could also compete in USAIGC meets if there were no NAIGC meets around.
http://www.naigc.net/faq.php#wcjtn

An old team mate was actually talking about starting one up! I didn't know that I could compete individually so it's nice to know that's also an option. Although, I'm not sure how well a practice schedule would fit in to job shadowing/interning/classes/studying. My university offers a 5 year comprehensive masters program that I am hoping to be accepted in to, but the application process is extremely tough and less than 4% of students who apply get accepted, so I have a feeling that most of my time is going to be devoted to that whole deal. Thank you for the heads up though!

Congratulations and good luck! That is great story and I hope that my gymmie can one day look back as an older gymnast with the same enthusiasm and love for the sport that you do.

If you don't want to stop then don't. A friend of ours went to a college and was on the college's gymnastics team for the first year. She was not able to compete at that level so she created a club team at the college. They just finished at nationals this year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back