looking for a meet Feb 18-19

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There is the Winter Face-Off meet Feb 17, 18, 19 in Washington, PA at Gym Dandy's, which is about an hour or so South of Pittsburgh. Registration closes Jan. 9th. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
was just reading the flyer Molly , does it mean that if say 25 girls are entered as level 5 9 year olds then 12 of them will get a medal/ribbon ? Its a bit of a confusing system for me .

Thanks

was just reading the flyer Molly , does it mean that if say 25 girls are entered as level 5 9 year olds then 12 of them will get a medal/ribbon ? Its a bit of a confusing system for me .
Thanks
Yes, it's a pretty standard system for invitationals in the US. So in your scenario, 12 places (or possibly 13 depending on the meet and their interpretation of 50%) would be awarded on each event and in the AA. Typically there is also some kind of gift bag or special treat given to all of the participating gymnasts as well to reduce the sting of not placing on anything.

hmmm - so "everyones a winner" scenario then ? Wouldn't enjoy meets over here then - 1st-3rd get a medal and no goodie bag for anyone :rolleyes:, mind you costs a lot less to enter too.

hmmm - so "everyones a winner" scenario then ? Wouldn't enjoy meets over here then - 1st-3rd get a medal and no goodie bag for anyone :rolleyes:, mind you costs a lot less to enter too.

And I'm sure that means that awards don't add an aditional hour onto an already painfully long meet!

At our regional comps they announce 6th to 4th (and they sometimes get a ribbon), with medals for 3rd to 1st place. Where there are typically 40 gymnasts it's quite nice that 4th to 6th are announced so the kids that are 'nearly but not quite' in the medals have some recognition - it gives them the incentive and recognition that they're on the right lines I think...

I like that the girls get something (t-shirt, soffee shorts, etc.), especially since the cost per meet is usually between $60-$90. My DD is 8 and first year of comp. and so far has gotten something at her first 2 meets b/c of the "medaling out 50%" standard around these parts - she will be seeing some much stiffer competition next weekend and I wonder how she'll fare. Will be interesting to see the outcome.

There is the Winter Face-Off meet Feb 17, 18, 19 in Washington, PA at Gym Dandy's, which is about an hour or so South of Pittsburgh. Registration closes Jan. 9th. Hope this helps :)
This may be a possibility, checking with coach. Have you been to this meet? I am wondering if it will be worth a 4 hour drive. Our gym is not highly competitive but looking for something different. Most schools near us are off that next week so the timing would be perfect. Funny thing is a lot of the brothers play hockey so I like the idea of "combining" hockey and gymnastics.

This may be a possibility, checking with coach. Have you been to this meet? I am wondering if it will be worth a 4 hour drive. Our gym is not highly competitive but looking for something different. Most schools near us are off that next week so the timing would be perfect. Funny thing is a lot of the brothers play hockey so I like the idea of "combining" hockey and gymnastics.

Our team went to this meet last season (my DD was still on pre-team so we weren't there, this is her 1st comp season as I said above), but I know our HC/owner would not be going back if she did not have a positive experience there (she is also a judge). We are a small team (14 girls total) and do well, but are not one of the ultra-competetive teams out there.

Here is the gym's website, you can check it out and look at the scores/teams from last year's Winter Face-Off (if you haven't already): Gym Dandy's Home

Here is the direct link for the meet info:
Gym Dandy's Winter Face Off

Check it out and see if you think it's worth the drive - can get more input from the team Moms who went last year (i.e. size, seating, etc.) HTH :)

Thanks

This is generally true for invitational meets here, but not for the smaller pre-sectional meets. Our gym does about 1/2 invitationals, which cost more than double (and you get those goodies and medals/trophies) and about 1/2 pre-sectionals (where the girls may get ribbons for placing on events...not everyone gets a ribbon).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back