WAG Upper level gymnasts after high school?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Ok, so this is what I know (or think I know)...

Even though there are more DI gymnastics teams than at any other division, it is difficult to get a DI scholarship. Most of the girls who do are level 10's for 3-4 years (or more), qualify for nationals multiple years, etc.
There are very few DII schools. They don't give full scholarships, and the schools themselves may be less academically renown than most of the DI and DIII schools.
There are some DIII schools (more than DII, fewer than DI). No athletic scholarships, though many of them are small private universities with a lot of flexibility to give out "merit" scholarships to kids they want, for whatever reason (as long as they don't call it an athletic scholarship). Which is good because these schools tend to be very pricy! Some of these schools' teams are mainly level 8's, others are mainly level 9's or mainly level 10's.

Surely there are lots more girls graduating from high school as level 9/10 gymnasts than are accounted for in the above categories. I'd be interested to hear what routes girls take after high school. Do many of them quit altogether? Coach? Compete as a "walk on" at a Div. I school (I'm not exactly sure what that means even? Are they on the team but just don't get a scholarship? Do they practice with the team but not compete with them?). Do club gymnastics?

I'd be interested to hear from coaches and parents about what their gymnasts, especially the ones who aren't being recruited by big name DI schools, do/plan to do/end up doing after high school.

Thanks!

I am interested in this too! I am Especially curious about the possibility of being a walk-on at a D1 school.

I was a 9 and I went to a d3 school for gymnastics(until my doctor told me I couldn't do gymnastics anymore).

One girl I know was a 10 but not like top of nationals level 10 (I don't know if she even qualified) but she walked on a d1 team and she actually competed but it was a lesser known d1.

One of my old level 9 teammates is actually a really good rower in college.

And another teammate who was actually only a level 8 is a cheerleader now for a smaller d1 school.

And I know three weak gymnasts who actually compete for their college club teams so that's cool.

Excellent question MaryA;

Our club has had gymnasts go on to D1, D3 and coaching positions after ceasing USA Gymnastics athletics. A local club has had a couple of athletes go to a D1 school with the intent to work to be walk-ons. Two were successful after their sophmore year. It does work, although it is not the norm.

General article on USA Gymnastic, College Scholarships and Recruitment Processs: http://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=7720&prog=h . FYI: At the Sponsoring the Collegeate Institutions; you will find Divisions I (12 full scholarships to be awarded to 12 gymnasts), Division II (6 full scholarships to be awarded to multiple gymnasts) and Division III (no athletic scholarships) institutions identified separately.

Our athletes who have competed at D3 schools have had terrific experiences. Certainly not the big time athletic experience of D1. I was a D1 athlete and know all to well the rigors of student athlete. I saw thru their eyes the enjoyable experience.

I say the above with the caveat that I know very little about HS gymnastics in our State here in the USA. I work with year around with USAG JO athletes by choice. I do know of a few HS gymnasts, obviousely with JO experience, who have gone on to college gymnastics. I see this as not very common.

SBG -

This is very interesting. For D3, what level JO should the gymnast have competed and what kids of scores or advancement should they have achieved?

A friend of mine's daughter was a walk on her freshman and sophomore year at a division I school. This year, her junior year, she has created a club team at the college for those unable to compete at Div I level.

Beyond the normal full ride scholarships we have had several girls walk onto D1 teams and receive scholarships during or after their freshman years.

After watching the scholarship process for several girls over several years now it seems a lot less cut and dry than it is made out to be. Sure some girls are swooped up when they are 14, but I don't think it ends there.

I have seen our HC work miracles. One gymnast was injured and so was out of the mix during her main scholarship window but she made an amazing recovery and he got her a walk on somewhere but didn't give up there. By strategically placing her at the right place at the right time, he landed her a full ride to an amazing academic experience she would have had no access to otherwise and a good but not great gymnastics program to boot.

These may not be the wonderkid stories we hear all about but they should be stories we are telling. Of course if you are a wonderkid you chances are a lot better, but there are lots of opportunities out there you just have to find them and figure out what you want from your college experience.

Getting a ride to the big name gymnastics school is great for your gymnastics maybe but I think a better academic experience and a still wonderful gymnastics experience is the best option.

I have come to believe that the HC of your program has as much to do with the success of finding a scholarship as anything else. They have to be knowledgable, strategic and willing to work for their kids.

Edit: I should caveat that these are level 10 gymnasts I am talking about. I don't have a ton of experience but most gymnasts that I know that peaked at level 8 or 9 and are still in the gymnastics world are coaching. Several of our young developmental and team assistant coaches are of this order. Many are going to college at the same time.

We have a college freshman at a local D1 school competing on our club team asa level 9. I never knew this was an option, but she's fit in well and really seems to be enjoying it. Interesting to know it's an option for someone who wants to keep competing but can't make the college team.

This is very interesting. For D3, what level JO should the gymnast have competed and what kids of scores or advancement should they have achieved?
I looked at the rosters of the NE Div. III teams and entered their freshmen's names into mymeetscores. At the top of the heap were teams with girls who competed 2 or 3 years at level 10, some even qualifying for nationals. There were others with gymnasts who had mostly been level 8 or prep op/excel. Most were in between... Strong level 9's and girls who had done a year or two at level 10.

In Australia most girls who finish high school just continue to compete at their normal local gyms, many have not yet reached level 10 so they continue on to achieve that goal.

If they do have to move away to attend university (which is a lot less common in Australia) they might find a local gymnastics club near their university to train and compete with and also continue to work through their levels.

Many move onto different gymnastics clubs and compete at a high level in other gymsports like trampoline, tumbling, cheerleading. Sports acro, aerobics etc. often their gymnastics back ground means they can jumps straight to a very high level and Ben to on to represent Australia internationally.

Other do take the coaches courses and become coaches as a way to make some extra money while studying.

A lot of girls who are not advanced to compete in college at the Varsity level choose to continue competing for their clubs OR they compete NAIGC (A club level gymnastics program for college students from NO experience up to those who didn't qualify for their College Varsity Team).

I'm interested in club gymnastics in college next year as I don't think I'm going to be good enough to earn a spot on a DI, II, or III school. So if you don't mind me asking, what school did this friend start a club team at?

I'm interested in club gymnastics in college next year as I don't think I'm going to be good enough to earn a spot on a DI, II, or III school. So if you don't mind me asking, what school did this friend start a club team at?
I know that I wasn't the one you were asking, but I thought I would give this to you.
I would suggest going to this website:
http://www.naigc.net/club_list.php
It has a list of the colleges with NAIGC club gymnastics teams. There are a lot of them.

There are also options that allow them to use their gymnastics skills in other areas.

My friend recently went into acro and tumbling after being a pretty successful level 9(westerns senior year). Its basically a mix of tumbling and stunting, that mixes gymnastics and cheer. It seems like a cool option for those who don't specifically want to continue gymnastics, but do want stay in that area. It is a new sport and is growing quickly in popularity. Right now there are only 11 schools, but there are a new universities joining every year. It seems pretty competitive and focuses a lot on the team aspect. Definitely something to look in to.
Here is a link to their website http://thencata.org/

Chellsie Memmel started training Tumbling this summer after retiring from elite gymnastics but she has the advantage of being able to train around her coaching duties are her families gym. She may be going to college part time.

I started gymnastics late and didn't reach level 8 until senior year of HS. I tried to walk on at my local 'lesser' D1 school since I had some C and D elements. I was cut, but I went back to my home club and competed level 8 for two years while I attended college.

I took 5 years off but missed it and now compete AAU Ladies division level 8, although I am fortunate that my club (a different club than I trained at as a child) allows me to train with the team. Sometimes due to insurance or philosophy reasons this isn't permitted (I am 32 years old now).

Coaching was something I tried but I didn't take to it. For now I am enjoying it still as an athlete!

Just FYI... I found my notes from when I was trying to figure out the NE Div. III teams and what levels their freshmen competed.

Brockport: Level 10's for multiple years, qualifying for Nationals
Cortland: Level 10 for 1/2 years, qualifying for regionals
Hamline: 9
Ithaca: 8/9
Rhode Island College: 8
Springfield College: 9/10
Ursinus College: 9

Very interesting about the NCATA. I will have to dig around and see if I can find some videos. It's interesting that they compete in something similar to a volley ball uniform rather than a leotard or something similarly form-fitting.

MaryA, my experience with the application process at top academic schools of our country is if you are not a blue chip and may not get a sports scholarship your next best bet, if you still want to do competitive gymnastics, is to be a walk on. However to walk on a team you must meet all the academic requirements of the institution. (As a walk on, you have all the rigorous requirements of those with scholarships, sans getting your education paid for. You are part of the team in all aspects and may get a scholarship later down the road if proven deserving.) It is not a bad deal if your daughter truly loves gymnastics and wants to continue to compete.

At Stanford University for instance, we contacted the college coach and were adviced that she did not have a scholarship to hand out. But if my son got in she wanted him on her team (he is not a gymnast). I think it is the same with all academic institutions. The coach even wrote a letter to the admission office of her interest in my son. On the flip side, a top athlete in my son's team (not gymnastics) was rated top 10 in the country. Her first choice was Notre Dame. They offered her a scholarship and all she needed to do was get a certain score in her SAT. They bent so low as to require a ridiculously low SAT score (less than 1500, I think). She could not get the score and was turned down. We also had a gymnast at our old gym who made junior international elite, got injured but had a few schools interested because she was still a beautiful gymnast. She was pretty much homeschooled. As such, she was lagging behind in many regents tests and did not have a strong academic standing. After being homeschooled since 4 grade because of gymnastics, she was not even invited as a walk on. So make sure your daughter has strong academics. A college coach can only push for the acceptance of a gymnast so much.

I fully agree with 4TLOS above. Academics come first always. Gymnastics will end but education is for life, and should always come first in the decision process. DD was a good 2 yr L10 but no scholarship offers. She walked on at a D1 school with an academic scholarship and has done very well in both areas. She has enjoyed the college gym experience and will receive her degree in June. She is now researching grad schools, so all in all it has been a wonderful ride for her. Good luck to all of you beginners out there.

How heartbreaking... to be homeschooled from a young age because of gymnastics and then not to qualify for a gymnastics scholarship because you were homeschooled! (I know that many people who home school, my brother/sister-in-law, for example, are very careful about making sure their kids complete and document all requirements, but it definitely takes a lot more work than just getting them out the door and onto the school bus every morning. Not that that's always easy either! ;) )

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back