WAG Vault problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Splat

Coach
Gymnast
I need help!!! I have been doing the front handspring vault for almost a year however, recently I broke my finger and was unable to vault for a month. I have been practicing vault again for about a week. I'm now having issues. I find my starting spot and feel like I can do it then, half way down the run way my mind tells my I'm gonna mess up and i then mess up my steps and run straight into the vault. Anyone have tips? I have my first meet since injury next weekend. I really want to get my vault back. It's my favorite event and I was good at it. I have made it over a few times but, they aren't good and then when I try to do it again I mess up. Is this a mental block or could my steps just be really messed up? Any tips or advice would be extremely appreciated. Thank you in advance.

My son had a similar problem -- he was overthinking the run and would balk or run crooked. His coach had him count out the steps to the vault (they had him run past the vault a few times to figure out the number of steps), then he would focus on counting out his steps as he ran. It seemed to distract his mind enough that he stopped overthinking it. He ended up winning two golds and a silver on vault this season.

Good luck!

Is it possible that you've grown so your measurements (# of steps/starting distance) SHOULD change?

I know this sounds stupid but run and when you get close to the vault hurdle and just go. If you really think about it you will not get hurt. The worse that will happen is you land on your butt.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back