Parents 1st Level 6 Meet Report!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nettyinpa

Whew, that's over with!! We got up at 5:00am on Saturday morning and left at 5:30 to drive down to the meet. It didn't take the 90 or so minutes I thought it would take. We got to the gym at 6:45! Thankfully we have a DVD player in the car so we sat and watched the rest of the movie she was watching on the way down. We were there before anyone from the host gym was so we had to wait a while.

The people at this gym are nice but it is so small. Not very good video taking but I'll try to upload them today. On to my report....

First let me say that we just got new team leos and they're gorgeous. Too bad most of them are too small and will most likely not last to the end of the season. I think Olivia's grown an inch in the last 2 months. Anyway, first event was floor. Her routine gets better all the time, some of the parents say how great she looks. Well, I guess the judges don't feel the same way, she only scored an 8.1. (no placement) Too low IMHO. After I post the video I'd like your honest opinions.

Next up vault ~ never her strong event, did a decent vault but her arms were bent and she didn't get the repulsion off the table ~ 7.675. (no placement)

Bars ~ She says this is now her favorite event. She does an awesome routine, has some decent casts but still missing a bit on the timing. Scores an 8.275, good enough for 4th place! :) Of course, I didn't think she even placed so I put my camera away. Imagine my surprise and disppointment that I missed her picture! :eek:

Beam ~ Her nemisis. She missed both attempts at the BWO. Scored a 7.90. I was so proud of her, though. One of her teammates had the coach spot her. I asked Olivia why she didn't do the same, and she said, I wanted to do it myself, mom. Awwww. :rolleyes:

So, she came out with one medal and she was pleased with herself. She was in the 9 and under age group, which 2 of her better teammates were also in. There were only 8 girls in that group so they only went out 4 places. I believe she and her one other teammate were the only 8 year olds. Oh, well. She scored 31.95 all around so she qualified for sectionals already!! Gotta love that!

Sorry this got so long! I was wondering if instead of posting individual meet reports maybe we could create a sticky post that says Meet Reports?? :confused: Just a thought.

Thanks for reading!

Cant wait to see the video. I love the fact that she wanted to do it by herself. that in itself is something to be very proud of. :)

So way to go Liv!!

And uhh your report wasnt long at all. Did you read mine? :D

Thanks!! I've uploaded the videos, they should be viewable about now! Let me know what you think.

Love those leotards. They are so pretty.

She is so neat! Makes everything look good. Floor would have been lots of 0.1 and 0.2 deductions. I noticed a few bent arms and low landings. I liked the fact she tried her BWO on beam. Great start to level 6!

The leos are pretty! I think she looks great. Just little things on bars. I thought her floor was really pretty and agree again, just the little things. Her beam routine is gorgeous. When she gets her confidence on the BWO and nails it, it is going to rock. :D And for a little thing, I thought her vault was great. Nice job to her on her first levle 6 meet!!!

She looked great Netty! I thought bars were really good - great first cast. I think she will be rocking bars by the time States rolls around. As for floor, I think she's getting dinged on the low landings on the front tuck / back tuck and for her fhs series. Her dance is great. Sorry to hear about the bwo woes. It's a huge deduction when they don't even get their feet on the beam. Otherwise, her beam is lovely. All in all, a great first L6 meet. Congrats to her on qualifying to sectionals!

Meg

And I like the individual meet reports. I think most would get lost in a sticky-d Meet Report thread. I always love meet reports and seeing how our CB gymmies did at their meets. :)

Love those leos!
And I"m with Mariposa--I like individual meet reports! I'd miss too many if they were grouped as one.

Floor critique--I think her first two tumbling passes were lower--that's why she lose some points. Judges like to see more height. She did awesome on her first level 6 meet! Congrats to her on qualifying already!!

love love love the leos! But your prior leos were pretty too! Such a big switch with the color change. Blue looks great on her. We are to get new ones next year....finally..but I am sure we with stick with the same boring color scheme...

Just a question....how does it work when they retry the skill and fall again? double deduction for a fall? Is it better to just skip the skill and move on?

Good for her for going for it. Hopefully she will build confidence in practice and will be nailing it soon!

Glad the sectionals requirement is out of the way. I always think that takes some of the pressure off too. Good job Olivia!

Hoping to get to see you next week!

She did a great job, lovely to qualify to sectionals first meet. This means she can focus on her routines and less on qualifying. She has such lovely bars.

Just watched the clips...

She did quite well for the first L6 meet. Congrats!!!

Other than the BWO, I see mostly form related type of deductions -- probably due to the lack of experience. That is particularly true for the bars. For a easy few tenths gain, just glue those feet together. Combined that with straight elbows, you got 9+.

I agree the scores are low for these performances (especially the vault). It looks like they were looking for perfection at this meet, which IMHO isn't a bad thing.

She did great and I love the leo too:)
great job on qualifying for sectionals and she got the level 6 mobility score too:)
Great job at her beam with fear issues too:) She got right back up and tried it again:)
For Emily it is just attempting the back walkover that is the biggest hump. So she did great.
I can't wait to see many more level 6 meets as the season progresses for you:)

I love her determination to "do it herself, mom". Gotta love that spirit! Level 6 is notorious for low scores, or so I have heard, lol. Our first level 6 meet is in 2 weeks, so I guess I'll find out first hand then.

I'm sure she did wonderful, can't wait to see the video. I loved the last years leo, so I can't imagine what this one looks like. You'll have to put up a pic.

She did a good job for her 1st level 6 meet. Her bars looked really good. The judging seemed kind of tough were their alot of really competitive gyms at this meet?

She did a good job for her 1st level 6 meet. Her bars looked really good. The judging seemed kind of tough were their alot of really competitive gyms at this meet?

There were a couple pretty good gyms but nothing overly outstanding. Our team took 2nd place, missed 1st by 1.05. I felt bad for one of the teams, they posted scores of 3.6 and 3.9 on bars. Why would a coach do that? Anyway, she's looking forward to the Christmas on the Chesapeake this weekend.

Swiftli ~ You asked about the deduction for doing the BWO twice, I'm not entirely sure but I'm assuming it's a .5 deduction for both. So, if she would've had her coach spot her I think that's about the same deduction. I'm not sure.

NotaMom ~ This was her first Level 6 meet but this is her 3rd year competing. I think she just needs to turn it up a notch, do everything with just a little more oomph, ya know?

Thank you all for your comments. Level 6 will prove to be an interesting year!

NotaMom ~ This was her first Level 6 meet but this is her 3rd year competing. I think she just needs to turn it up a notch, do everything with just a little more oomph, ya know?
Yeah, I'm aware it's not her first year competing. But, every new level can be a new experience. And, L6 certainly can be. My reference to "inexperience" refers to the oomph too, as that is what they start looking for at L6. In L4/5 they hardly look for that extra bit of drive/push.

Yeah, I'm aware it's not her first year competing. But, every new level can be a new experience. And, L6 certainly can be. My reference to "inexperience" refers to the oomph too, as that is what they start looking for at L6. In L4/5 they hardly look for that extra bit of drive/push.

I totally agree with you on that one. A lot of our girls that were gettin mid-high 9's last year are now getting low-mid 8's. Still not bad for the first meet. They really look for more in the big skills like a higher leap on beam and floor and obviously, higher casts. Olivia is improving on her casts. Still not high enough but they are better. Her arms are forever bent, I don't think she can physically straighten them. And I wish I was kidding on that!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back