WAG A GoFundMe for gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmomto2

Proud Parent
If someone set up acct to raise funds, could that affect NCAA eligibility in the future? Though not illegal, it's in my opinion, in extremely poor taste.

I know quite a few. I can't judge because I am fortunate to be able to pay, but it does seem miguided.

I also know kids who train at gyms, and parents who work at the gym, in whatever capacity to offset cost.....

I guess it just depends on how you think?

Not a fan of go fund me's in general. And especially for strangers. There is no way to properly vet them.

If you know someone's story personally is a great way to help them fast.

Not sure about NCAA eligibility.

Can you explain why asking friends and family to contribute (not strangers) to a child's gym fund affects NCAA eligibility? I'm just trying to understand.

Go fund me is not friends and family, it is public.

If you asked your mom to help with fees and she handed you $500 cash, nobody would ever know. But if you put a go fund me page up and the money went through their website you cannot hide it or pretend it did not happen.

Lots of grandparents, and family and friends, fund kids through sports. That is just not the same as people putting up "begging for help" pages to get training funds.

It really is modern day begging, not judging whether it is good or bad, but it is essentially the same.

However there are 'crowdfunding' sites that allow the site to be private, and only visible to those you send it to, rather than truly public. So let's say I have family all across the country and connect with them all on facebook and give them a link to help out with little Suzie's gymnastics, is that the same?

However there are 'crowdfunding' sites that allow the site to be private, and only visible to those you send it to, rather than truly public. So let's say I have family all across the country and connect with them all on facebook and give them a link to help out with little Suzie's gymnastics, is that the same?

It would be one of those murky areas that would be best avoided. If they are truly friends and family you would not need a site for them to help.

For me there is just no point taking the risk when they can easily put $20 in a Christmas or birthday card. Catch my drift? :cool:

I agree that gofundmes for expensive club sports are in poor taste. I actually totally understand why it could affect NCAA eligibility - you are receiving money from others to cover costs for participation in your sport. Very similar to sponsor pro-athlete situation IMO.

I agree that gofundmes for expensive club sports are in poor taste. I actually totally understand why it could affect NCAA eligibility - you are receiving money from others to cover costs for participation in your sport. Very similar to sponsor pro-athlete situation IMO.

I guess I disagree with the characterization that it's like sponsoring a pro athlete. Even if you're posting to facebook, those are generally still people within your sphere of influence. Even if they are friends of friends. It's not like you're going to GK asking for money, or the local supermarket asking them to sponsor her.

And on that front, why is it an issue for things like this but NOT when kids go running around asking for fundraising money for baseball and sponsorships for school sports, etc... Isn't it the same issue? Let's say your little league plans a hit a thon and the sponsorship money you raise goes towards your uniforms. Is it because the money is being distributed amongst all the kids that puts this issue to rest? My guess is yes, but I know that not all leagues deal with things this way.

I'd argue yes, poor taste, but not the same as pro sponsorship of athletes.

I think the difference is in how it is dispersed. If you are fundraising for an organization, the money should go to the organization for the use of all, to benefit that organization. A go fund me benefits one and is for the sole purpose of paying for the sport. Our booster club can't pay tuition to the gym because it would violate the ncaa rules, and other rules.

Plus, don't those sites take a cut? If a family member wants to help, they just do it..they don't need a site to remind them

Reactions: sce
The mom of a girl at dd's former gym set one up for her and posts the link on her Facebook page frequently. Since I'm assuming that not all of her 1,000 + Facebook friends are family, I find this in poor taste.
We have a FB friend that does this. The wording of the site would be very misleading to anyone outside of gymnastics - you'd get the impression that she has a good shot of making the national team. Her daughter is very good and I don't mean to insult her talent by saying this, but there are at least 1000 girls at her level, and the national team is very, very small.

I don't think gofundme accounts that ask for sports activities get much anyway. Some are so minimal I feel bad that I want to donate. Which brings forth another question. If a gofundme account gets say $250, would that affect NCAA eligibility? How about $1,000? $2,000? Even $5,000? If it does, and the gymnast is good enough to possibly get a acholarship, it would be so sad for them to lose eligibility. I think they (NCAA) would just let these go unaffected?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back