WAG A GoFundMe for gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Of course, all they really have to do is google a person...it will bring up any of those sorts of things.

I doubt NCAA goes looking for it. However, I'd bet the problem would come about when another gymnast, parent, or college coach remembers said Go Fund Me and wants to squeal. Sour grapes or not, if NCAA finds rules have been broken, they are not kind.

This is exactly the issue. It happens.

Reactions: sce

I rarely believe everything I read without further research. Often times, stories printed are inaccurate, incomplete and one sided. However, if I take this story in face value, that sounds extremely heartless and unreasonable. Perhaps if they want someone out of the team, they will search everywhere to find a reason. I can"t imagine they do such a thorough search on every athlete.

Did further digging on Silas Nacita, there is indeed more to it than what the two articles above state. There are not a lot of articles and they are not completely clear. But Silas has made apologies and if I understand it correctly, he was warned a few times about certain compliance violations and he ignored them. Further Silas is not even on scholarship. He was a walk on and originally played for Cornell before switching to Baylor. Baylor and the NCAA provided ways for the walk-on to get housing, but he chose a way which were ultimately NCAA violations. By knowingly violating the NCAA rules, there was no way around the dismissal.

I simply cannot believe how much money some of these accounts get. I will leave my opinion out of it
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1437828023.779134.jpg

I simply cannot believe how much money some of these accounts get. I will leave my opinion out of itView attachment 5736

And I hope whoever has this account , doesn't plan on competing NCAA....I suppose if my kid wasn't very good and didn't have a prayer of competing in ANY sport in college ( because raising money like this for gymnastics also disqualifies you if say you go on to become a great pole vaulter from getting NCAA money) , and I didn't have the money for the tuition then the risk might pay off....not to say it isn't tacky;)

There appears to be close to 900 gymnastics gofundme accounts. And I'd guess at least 99% will unlikely lead to a scholarship. So perhaps if this path gets them to participate in a sport they love (or their mother loves), good for them. But for that 1%, even $5,000 is not worth risking to get a 4 year education paid for or to even throw out a dream to do college gymnastics. Good point Bog. Some may not get a gymnastics scholarship but may get a scholarship in other disciplines. Ineligibility is across the board.

Is there an actual NCAA rule that training expenses must be paid by only the family? I personally don't like the gofundme accounts, for any reason, but do they break NCAA rules? Certainly, if a donation could be traced back to a questionable donor - a college booster, for instance. But if it is just family and friends?

So, say you're a single mom and your 5 year old daughter was invited to Level 2. Tuition is within your means, but travel costs are insane. Friends and family have offered to help and, in an effort to streamline the process, you set up a go fund me account and end up raising the yearly meet fees of $1400.

As your daughter progresses and you start to educate yourself about gymnastics, NCAA, etc., you realize you've made a grave error. Is there any recourse? Pay back the money?

I would bet that a typical mom of a beginner competitive gymnast has no idea of what they are doing in regards to scholarships.

Is there an actual NCAA rule that training expenses must be paid by only the family? I personally don't like the gofundme accounts, for any reason, but do they break NCAA rules? Certainly, if a donation could be traced back to a questionable donor - a college booster, for instance. But if it is just family and friends?

My personal advice is that if you need the help of family and friends it should be private. Tell no one and you will be fine.

Gofundme type things can be a total PITA for many reasons. Also bear in mind the money can be classed as taxable income as well. It is not really a gift in the way that we think.

Read through this page and a lot of questions are answered.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/frequently-asked-questions-about-ncaa

Is it because the money is being distributed amongst all the kids that puts this issue to rest? My guess is yes, but I know that not all leagues deal with things this way.

I'd argue yes, poor taste, but not the same as pro sponsorship of athletes.
It is different when it sponsors the team not the child. Even gym booster clubs can raise funds, but they can't be designated per athlete, it must be divided evenly among the members.

You can disagree that it is not the same as a pro-athlete all you want but that won't change the NCAA's position on it. If a child wants to be eligible for NCAA then they should not do any sort of funding site like this.

Can gofundme accounts be deleted permanently from the data base or modified to remove any reference an athlete's name?

Can gofundme accounts be deleted permanently from the data base or modified to remove any reference an athlete's name?

That is a question for gofundme. The biggest issue is if someone you know is aware that you ran a gofundme and they turn the athlete in, for whatever reason. If there is proof there is proof. As in if I send a gofundme money though paypal or my cc I own that proof regardless of you deleting a gofundme account.

Better to never start then you never have to worry.

Gyms should really be putting this info out the day a kid joins team, slap it in the handbook and make parents sign.

Gyms should discuss things like this in their meetings w/ new team parents - a warning that this type of activity could down the line hurt their child's chances for a scholarship would probably prevent it - maybe reminding existing team members would be a good idea too.

Good point Bog. Some may not get a gymnastics scholarship but may get a scholarship in other disciplines. Ineligibility is across the board.
It's not even just scholarship eligibility. If the child wants the chance to be a college athlete in nay sport, scholarship or not, these accounts can take away that chance. I also agree that the NCAA may not go looking about each athlete (though the internet makes it easier) but they do also ask the athlete questions. You should be able to honestly answer that you did no violate the policies.

But are there any NCAA policies currently in place that prohibit this? The link bog posted does not refer to a situation in which an athlete seeks individual assistance from friends and family to pay for her training. It addresses how an athlete may accept prize money or be compensated for work and corporate sponsorship.

I have no stake in this game. I would never own one of these accounts, but if we are talking about it on CB, I think we need to be presenting the current regulationsand not present it as a 'just in case' scenario.

For the poster who asked about what happens if you inadvertently violate the rules - if you can make a case for you not knowing the rules, you likely would just have to pay back the money. This happens more than you might expect. It just doesn't get publicized because it is caught by the ncaa or the college and addressed promptly. The case that was referenced above went to the extreme because he knowingly violated the rules and did not seek to correct the issue.

@bookworm and @LemonLime might be the best people on here to answer this. Maybe also @dunno and @coachp as they have experience in placing ahtletes.

We definitely need to present the correct information, which is why I linked to pages, but as you say the whole story is not there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back