Parents ACL brace after surgery

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Gym mama

Proud Parent
My daughter has been cleared to start the long journey back to gymnastics after surgery to repair ACL/Meniscus. Her surgeon says she must wear a brace when she gets back to the gym. I've been researching athletic braces and I'm looking for feedback between a Donjoy or an Osssur brace and whether a pre-fabricated brace will do or should I go with a custom made? Any advice is greatly appreciated

My daughter has been cleared to start the long journey back to gymnastics after surgery to repair ACL/Meniscus. Her surgeon says she must wear a brace when she gets back to the gym. I've been researching athletic braces and I'm looking for feedback between a Donjoy or an Osssur brace and whether a pre-fabricated brace will do or should I go with a custom made? Any advice is greatly appreciated
We've had athletes come back from ACL tears very successfully with and without braces. I would strongly suggest asking the surgeon for their recommendation before going down that path. They may have a preference, but most have been pushing towards a custom-fit brace in my recent experience (coaching football and gymnastics) to provide maximum stability.

Custom. Your surgeon likely has a preference and if not, ask the PT if they have a recommendation. If still no lead, the surgeon should be willing to write a prescription for custom fit ACL brace and send you to an orthotist to discuss the best option for your kid. I really like DJO custom braces, but they can be really costly and often if you have it prescribed, insurance covers a large portion of the cost.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back