MAG Adventures in new skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
D has been working on his moy this week. FInally on Friday, he got it...5 times in a row, by himself. It isn't pretty, but he can do it.

Saturday morning comes, and he goes to practice. He hits his first 3-4, then misses one. On the way through, he bangs his foot on the metal pole (the one you use to tighten or loosen the bars to raise/lower them). It is really a pretty shade of purple. He ices it, calms down, and tries again. this time, in fear of hitting the bar again, he completely misses and lands flat on his back on the mat. Needless to say, his moy practice was over for the day. He tried a couple more, but couldn't get over the mental break.

this week should be interesting. It is time to see if he can shake it off, or if it is gone for a while. He says he's got it ;) No problem. I like that attitude!

He's such a trouper! I bet he's going to have a great summer. I also bet that bruise is all kinds of pretty colors by now!

LOL! Between that one and the ones on his legs from smacking the pommels, he is all kinds of pretty colors!!

Well, he did it again :) He was pretty happy to not have "lost" it. He also did a pirouette on the low pbars. He was a pretty happy camper!

How's the moy coming? Is he feeling confident about it now? That is so cool about the pirouette!

My little dude just got his muscle up on rings and is officially allowed to start learning flares on the mushroom. Pure bliss. (Though he feels even now that he isn't getting enough time in the gym, ugh.)

Gotta love that! The muscle up is so fun :) And flairs! Very cool!

His moy is good. His pirouette is hit or miss. He smacked the pbars several times yesterday and his legs are just beat up! LOL! And he finally got front and back giants on strap and his flyaway. He is really working a lot of hard stuff right now and he gets frustrated easily. Not sure what is goign on, but there are lots of tears. We have got to get through this. He really wants to go 7 this year. He has the ability, if his head would jsut stay out of the way! LOL!

YAY! That is so huge! What a great accomplishment for him!!

I love this thread :) D just started working his giant-giant-flyaway and loves it!!! Scary to watch though!!

DS somehow managed to cast into handstand on HB and go over a couple of times. He is extremely, extremely pleased, but speaks about it only in whispers to avoid upsetting his sister, who's having an awful time with her straddle cast handstand on bars.

This question doesn't fit here, but I don't want to start a new thread for the question, so here goes.....

.....if you say assemble' with a Russian accent....does it sound like alum-blossing? My son is doing something, and it doesn't remind me of what I think of as an assemble' but I can't figure out what the heck he is saying. I looked at what I think is the new code of points and it uses that word near the end of the floor routine.

Sounds like a pretty dumb question when you read it. lol.

Oh, and in the spirit of what this thread is meant for....his flairs look great, but he is having trouble going from the flairs back to regular circles. Any suggestions for that?

I have no idea about the accent! (and I haven't looked too closely at the routines, so even that I am not sure about!)

As for the mushroom...practice, practice, practice :)

NOw that his injury has healed, he is finally back at it! And new skills are coming :) He got his back up-rise on rings (grips really helped!) He started working his back layout dismount on p's. And his back full on tramp is finally coming. I guess the coach told him he is starting the season as a 6, but if he keeps it up this way, could be a 7 mid-season. That got him pumped!

Awesome progress from all the boys!!!! Wow! I am impressed. DS (age 8) will be competing his second year of level 5. I have never asked the rationale behind this and I am not even sure what level 6 involves. His sister (age 6) is currently competing her first season of level 4 so that is getting him pretty excited for competition. As far as skills, he has gotten his back tuck on floor, flyaway off the high bar, kip on parallel bars and I am not sure what else as I am not as familiar with the boys' tricks. He is loving it and it will be interesting to see how the competitions go. He did quite well last year so we'll see!

My little guy, who's headed into his first year of L5, got his kip last night! At first I thought it was a fluke, but he made five or so. Makes up a little for those ugly front handsprings, LOL!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back