MAG Adventures in new skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Way to go! My little guy has the dissappearing kip right now. He can do it evey few practices. At least December is a while away. Same thing with his muscle up

My little level 4 got 10 circles on the mushroom today. He keeps bugging his coach about the competition. "Can I do more than 5 for the bonus? Can I do more?" The coach says, "It's 5 and a flank, and that's the limit." My kid isn't buying it. ;)

He also got his back hip circle to undershoot several months ago, before any of the level 5's on the team. And he learned his round-off to back-handspring a couple of months ago. The thing is, his older brother has not learned these, and he's been struggling with just a decent undershoot on bar.

Sounds like he is ready for season ;) Those are great new skills for him. Big Bro is probably not far behind!!!

I hope so. Big brother is starting to feel a little down about it (they are both level 4s).

I could watch my son do his muscle up all day. lol. I guess he would get a little tired, though.

He can do his front handspring ten million times better than back. He has a fear. ugh. I know the back is supposed to be easier than the front, but not for my son.

J&A, maybe we can combine our sons and make one great gymnast. My son's FHS is usually landed with feet about shoulder width when he doesn't wind up in a squat. The BHS is progressing much more nicely if he can just manage to make it less up and down! I know the going backwards aspect can be challenging for some gymnasts, but they do outgrow it (having seen girls spend up to a year freaking out over the back walkover on beam at L6).

I have an unhappy little tale of new skills. DS finished practice Tuesday night and bounced out of the gym to proclaim to me the Most! Awesomest! News! Ever! that he had done a long-hang kip. I praised and fussed accordingly, and we settled in to wait until his sister finished practice a half hour later. No sooner had we gotten into the car than big sis launched into a lengthy narrative of her own Most! Awesomest! News! Ever!, that she had made two straddle cast handstands. This news, unfortunately, also required the narration of what happened before, what her coach said, what was going on with one of her other teammates, etc., etc. DS, frustrated and impatient, took advantage of a momentary pause when DD was inhaling for another paragraph to announce his kip news. She said, "that's great," and returned to her epic tale.

All devolved quickly from there. DS's feelings were hurt because DD told him it wasn't as big a deal for him as for her because it took her THREE YEARS to make one and only took him about six months. By the time we got home, they were both furious at each other and in tears -- on a day when they both had great accomplishments at the gym, as I tried to convince them.

They eventually worked it out, but UGH! Sibling rivalry!!

Profmom.....I am glad I am not the only one with intense sibling rivalry. I haven't figured out the best way to deal with it. DD seems like she is genuinely proud when DS gets a new skill or does well, whereas DS seems to be really jealous. We finally gave DS an ultimatum that he will not compete in January if he doesn't cheer his sister on better; have a better attitude. They drive me CRAZY with anything you can do I can do better, etc.

Uh... the sibling rivalry you describe makes me appreciate my older gymnast. He gets discouraged that his younger brother gets skills before he does, but he never argues or makes his brother feel bad about it (just disappointment in himself. :( ).

woohoo! My son did bhs after bhs and then robhs after robhs in practice today!! FINALLY! He has been struggling with it for weeks, and finally walla! He was soooo happy! Officially competing Level 5 with confidence!

Thanks. HE is so excited. I mean, double fist-pumps after he does a set kind of excited! With all the issues he has had with switching legs and twisting direction, it has been a hard road for him :)

The combination of the absolute dead serious affect and the attire had me rolling on the floor! So cute (and so strong)!

Our guys had a kind of funny P bars rotation last night. They all went through their L5 routines, in which holding the handstand prior to the dismount is a bonus. Now earlier in the practice, they'd all been on the parallettes and had been working on their handstands. They've been working them on the bars as well. The coach, unfortunately, knows that they can do them. Like, for 10-15 seconds. But every single one of them got up there and did a routine and hopped down without any hold at all. The coach was at his wit's end. He made them all get up there and do last halfs and hold the HSs for 10 seconds. It was like he'd given them handstand juice or something! Two of them got it on the first try, and almost all of them accomplished it.

He's going to blow a gasket when they all -- every single one of them -- miss that bonus at their next meet.

D was able to do his roundoff, back handspring, back full yesterday. It was onto the pit mat, and i think he only made it to all fours (no feet yet) but he was so excited to get started on that combo!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back