Parents Advice for ADHD child on team...maybe too immature?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just wanted to say thank you all for your thoughts in this thread. My DD will be 6 in a few months and was diagnosed with ADHD just last week. She is on a low dose of Concerta that seems to be working well for her. She is more focused in school and seemed greatly improved after just one gymnastics class last week. I worry because for the last few months all she talks about is wanting to be at the gym every day and that she wants to make the team (she is still in kindergarten rec). I had been considering some private lessons this summer to see if with her new focus she could improve enough to be given consideration for the pre team program. It sounds like maybe ADHD kids do well one and one and it might be a good test to see if she does have the skill, desire and focus to compete after all.

I just wanted to say thank you all for your thoughts in this thread. My DD will be 6 in a few months and was diagnosed with ADHD just last week. She is on a low dose of Concerta that seems to be working well for her. She is more focused in school and seemed greatly improved after just one gymnastics class last week. I worry because for the last few months all she talks about is wanting to be at the gym every day and that she wants to make the team (she is still in kindergarten rec). I had been considering some private lessons this summer to see if with her new focus she could improve enough to be given consideration for the pre team program. It sounds like maybe ADHD kids do well one and one and it might be a good test to see if she does have the skill, desire and focus to compete after all.

I have found this thread to be so helpful too! My DD is doing a lot better since she started medication, so I hope that will be your experience as well. Yes, smaller groups and more 1:1 helps. We did a private so her new coach could sort out some of her form issues, and since it was earlier in the day, her medication was still working. She did great and was using the coach's corrections, so I think it was worth it. And again, this gym with a smaller group is helping a lot too. I wish I had done more gym shopping around early on.

I'll join in, too. I also have a 7 year old DD who has ADHD and struggles with many of the same things. We are currently starting a new medicine to see if it helps with school and gym. She loves her time at the gym and it helps SO much with her crazy high activity level. We would like for her to move up a level next year just to get her more hours in the gym!!!! Hang in there! You're not alone!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back