age and more...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter did not start gymnastics until she was almost 8 and I think it was a good thing. She has girls in her level who have been doing gymnastic since they were 3 or 4 and I always hope that her having started a little late may keep her from burning out. It took her 2 years to get to level 5 while some of the kids who started when they were really little took 4 or 5 years (or more) to get there. Every kid "gets" skills in their own time and as long as she loves it I say let her continue.

I haven't seen anyone younger then 8 doing level 4. I have been wondering if it is similar to the USA. I just don't get how a 6 year old gets over that dam vault table and jumping to the high bar.

Sally I had an 8 year old, level 4 last year and the anxiety over that dam vault was nearly the death of us both ;)

Two late starters here....

Both my daughter's started late-ish at 7 and 9...they are having a blast! I have see huge growth in DD2's self-confidence! They both are in trainning groups that have girls that have been doing gymnastics since the pre-school classes and to my untrained eye, I cannot tell who started when.

In the U.S., girls are not going over the vault table or jumping to the high bar until Level 5.

Which I was very happy about! DD started level 4 at age 6 and I don't think she could have done it if she had to go over the vault table then or jump to the high bar. Much more comfortable watching her do it now at age 8. :D

I don't think an 8 year old Level 4 is old at all. But, it's really nice to hear about all of these late starters. I just don't understand with what I've seen out of the sport how it is possible for someone to have not started gymnastics until they are 8 or 9 to manage any sort of placement on a gymnastics team. Our team won't even consider anyone over the age of 7 for any preteam group for the regular USAG team that starts competition at Level 5. The rest of the people are relegated to the XCEL program. There is a slight chance of mobility to a newly created Level 4 team from XCEL if you are pretty much Level 4 competition ready, but you can't be more than 8 or 9. Any in my experience, our current gym is the most open gym in the area. So if you start rec classes and do them for awhile at age 8, decide you really like it, move to the XCEL team (because you are too old for preteam) and do well, then by that time you have aged yourself out of the JO program. They really are looking for the 5 and 6 year olds that they can develop into 7 and 8 year old level 5s, and if you don't have exactly that profile then yes they have a program for you, but you are pretty much stuck forever. So I guess I don't understand when coaches and others say "they are only ____". In my experience they don't have "plenty of time" because the window seems to be very short to get into the sport. The teams fill up and the gyms just don't have the space to be adding a bunch of kids who started older into the mix.

I'm not saying it is right or fair. Frankly it's sad. But it is my experience.

If she's 8 and on level 4 and likes it, count yourself lucky. I wouldn't consider her too old at all.

I don't think an 8 year old Level 4 is old at all. But, it's really nice to hear about all of these late starters. I just don't understand with what I've seen out of the sport how it is possible for someone to have not started gymnastics until they are 8 or 9 to manage any sort of placement on a gymnastics team. Our team won't even consider anyone over the age of 7 for any preteam group for the regular USAG team that starts competition at Level 5. The rest of the people are relegated to the XCEL program. There is a slight chance of mobility to a newly created Level 4 team from XCEL if you are pretty much Level 4 competition ready, but you can't be more than 8 or 9. Any in my experience, our current gym is the most open gym in the area. So if you start rec classes and do them for awhile at age 8, decide you really like it, move to the XCEL team (because you are too old for preteam) and do well, then by that time you have aged yourself out of the JO program. They really are looking for the 5 and 6 year olds that they can develop into 7 and 8 year old level 5s, and if you don't have exactly that profile then yes they have a program for you, but you are pretty much stuck forever. So I guess I don't understand when coaches and others say "they are only ____". In my experience they don't have "plenty of time" because the window seems to be very short to get into the sport. The teams fill up and the gyms just don't have the space to be adding a bunch of kids who started older into the mix.

If she's 8 and on level 4 and likes it, count yourself lucky. I wouldn't consider her too old at all.

I've heard this a lot on Chalkbucket, but understand there are many gyms that DO NOT automatically track gymnasts to prep-op because they are "too old." Sure, at our gym, if you have a 12 or 13 year old, they're going to do prep-op instead of L4, but certainly, 6 and 7 year olds at L4 at our gym are not as common as 8 or 9 year olds (my DD was 7 at L4 but she was one of only 2 I think). This year, we had a 9 year old on L3.

DD just completed level 4 at age 8. Her competition season started shortly after her 8th birthday and out of the 14 girls on the team, only 4 were younger than here, and three of those by only a few months. The 8 yo age group was so larger, that at the Sectionals meet it was broken down into 3 categories- and that was just for the northern part of the state, there were 3 more 8 yo brackets in the southern section. My only concern would be that your daughter is having fun while being safe. Well, that and writing all the checks....

I think every area is different just like every gym is different. There are gyms out there that think you can't start after age 6 but they are wrong. I've seen girls start 10 - 12 yo and do really well and tend to advance quickly because they have a better understanding then the little girls. I don't think any gym should limit participation in team or limit them to excell/preop because of age. I've seen lots of gyms that take the older girls and they do really well too. Guess its just what somone is willing to work with as to weather they will succeed or not. If you have a coach that says they are too old at 8yo they usually won't give the same effort into the training.

Putting the age discussion aside, keep in mind that the kids learn/develop on different "schedules." Some skills will come easy for one group, but other skills will not. This year, learning and acquiring skills might go slowly but next year things "click" and it comes easier. It is all a process of ups and downs and what is happening this year is not necessarily an indication of...well, anything!

Enjoy the ride!

I have a dd that just finished competing L4 as a 10 year old, so this issue is close to my heart. She didn't set foot in the gym until she was 9, and is competition ready for L5 now (season starts in the fall). She'll certainly be the oldest on her team next year, but that's fine with her. She's naturally talented, but has some fear/anxiety issues that have kept her "back" (weird to use that word when it's only been 2 years, but she's the one who wanted to compete at L4 instead of L5 this year, not her coaches). Our gym used to shunt kids like her into PrepOp, but luckily they changed their policy last year; now it is an option for most, but age is not THE limiting factor to being offered a spot on JO. She does really well in competition, is a perfectionist and a hard worker, but knows she'll probably never get to L10 at this point, and again - she's okay with it. I do have input on a few issues you brought up though:

About being "stuck": I've learned in our 2 years (and reading this board for the past year) that it is VERY normal to go through periods where it *seems* like no progress is being made, and then they'll make a few leaps all at once. I think especially at the younger levels, natural talent can take some kids pretty far fast, but then they hit a skill that they really need to work at, or have fear, or just need to focus on building up strength for a while. It's normal to go many months without any new skills being acquired, but that certainly doesn't mean nothing is happening. The more the basics are perfected, the better new skills will be when they get them (at least that's what I've gathered). You can't judge progress over a few months, you really need to look at a longer time frame than that.

About it not being "worth it" if they're not going to go "all the way": I've sort of read between the lines on a lot of posts here, and it almost seems like people are saying, "if they're not going to make it to elite or college gym, should I pull them out now?" (and this being asked at ages younger than 10). People respond with, "Well, so-and-so started at age 10 and made it to the olympics", thinking that is comfort. My question is this - is it REALLY only worth it to compete in this sport if you are going to make it to L10 or beyond? Is there nothing to be gained by working hard, having fun, and getting to L8 at age 17? Or quitting when you're 12? Why do parents feel that if their child won't be a superstar, then it's not worth the time and money? For kids who love the sport, gymnastics is excellent exercise, a lot of fun, and a great place to learn plenty of life skills like dealing with competition and stress, hard work, perseverance, discipline, self-confidence, teamwork, performing in front of a crowd, losing with grace, how to get back up after you fall off, and... I could go on and on. If the child has the drive and the desire, and you have the money and the time, let her do it. (...in my not so humble opinion!)

We did, too. She won AA at every meet this season and had the second highest AA in the state at champs. What a shame it would have been if she had been forced PrepOp.

cbone, I'm sure you meant no disrespect and I realize that you likely live in an area where prep op is looked down upon, but there are many here who have dds in prep op and many prep op gymnasts themselves who post and your comment could be taken as a put-down of the program. My dd went through the prep op system very successfully and is now training to compete L7 this winter. The reality is there is no knowing what would have happened to that girl you spoke of if she went to prep op just as we don't know how she will do in the JO program.

To the OP, my dd was the equivalent of L4 at 9yrs old. She struggled with Vt and tumbling (still does), but as you can see, she has chugged along and will compete L7 as a young 12yr old. I know there are much younger L7s but this is my dds timeline and we are ok with it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

My question is this - is it REALLY only worth it to compete in this sport if you are going to make it to L10 or beyond? Is there nothing to be gained by working hard, having fun, and getting to L8 at age 17? Or quitting when you're 12? Why do parents feel that if their child won't be a superstar, then it's not worth the time and money?

Well stated. I think most parents in this sport have the initial dream that maybe - just maybe - their child with be the one that makes it. And I also think that as they make the financial and time commitments, they are hoping that it will pay off in a college scholarship. So when the blinders come off, and they are faced with reality, they have doubts as to whether all that time and money are really worth it. Very few mainstream sports are this expensive and time consuming. Yes, gymnastics teaches kids a lot beyond the gym, but so do most other sports, if taken seriously. Why spend so much money on something if your child isn't 100% devoted to it? For us, gymnastics is my dd's life - there is no other sport or activity she wants to do. So we are fine with doing this for her. But honestly, if she wasn't so dedicated, or if she had another less expensive / less time consuming passion, I would be having doubts as to whether we should be putting so many family resources into this sport, regardless of whether she had a shot for college scholarship. Because frankly, the amount I we will end up spending on gymnastics over the course of 12 yrs would have paid for her college tuition, if invested properly (well, in a good economy anyway). And that's not even taking into account the time I'd gain back not being a taxi driver. But this is her love and we are willing to let her follow it as far as she wants.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

cbone, I'm sure you meant no disrespect and I realize that you likely live in an area where prep op is looked down upon, but there are many here who have dds in prep op and many prep op gymnasts themselves who post and your comment could be taken as a put-down of the program. My dd went through the prep op system very successfully and is now training to compete L7 this winter. The reality is there is no knowing what would have happened to that girl you spoke of if she went to prep op just as we don't know how she will do in the JO program.

To me, the shame would have been if she was "forced" to go PrepOp. Even your daughter used PrepOp as a means to move into JO. I understand (to some degree given my lack of experience with the program) why the PrepOp is a great option for certain people, but it is widely (and correctly) considered a less structured and demanding track. This gymnast was given the opportunity to take the more demanding track and excelled.

I intended no disrespect to any PrepOp parents or gymnasts. That said, we need to be a little thicker-skinned and quit reading so deep into every word someone says to find anything that could be taken wrong.

Just FYI, it can be hurtful when those with 8yo level 4s claim that they are worried their daughters are "too old". I know it would have bothered me when I competed level 4 for the first time at age 13. I worried so much about being "too old" that a comment like that could have seriously set me back. It is the same thing as when think girls complain that they are too heavy. You can't help but think "If she's too old/heavy, what am I?"

Obviously there is a need for candidness and honesty, but keep in mind...there is no such thing as "too old". Too old for what? Too old to go to the Olympics? You can't worry about where you're going to end up in 10 years. In all likelihood, the girl will be a star softball player or flutist by then. Making statements like "I worry that my daughter is too old for this sport" impresses upon older girls that if an eight year old is too old, then they, too, must be way too old. It is a sad world in which 13-year-old girls have already missed the only chance to do something they love. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if someone isn't going to make it to elite or level 10. If this eight-year-old maxes out at level 9, she's made it farther than most gymnasts ever will.

Mack that is so true!! I always post it Fun should be the first goal if a girl is having fun and enjoying the process what else could a mom hope for. Medals are the gravy if my DD gets one great but if she doesn't and is happy doing this sport then that's all I need to see.

Which I was very happy about! DD started level 4 at age 6 and I don't think she could have done it if she had to go over the vault table then or jump to the high bar. Much more comfortable watching her do it now at age 8. :D

My little monkey also did L4 at 6, then L5 for 2 years (7-8) because that squat on was a huge issue. My older DD competed her first L4 meet on her 8th birthday and had a much easier time learning the level 4-6 skills that smaller girls struggle with.

As I stated earlier, if the OP's DD is happy that's what counts. Everyone progresses at different rates so as long as coaches are good with that and not pushing her to do things she's not ready for, then age doesn't matter.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back