Alpha Factor Open

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Most invitationals ask you to enter your kids at their voluntary level. It is only a "bit of fun" for the kid competing down a level and hoping to walk off with all the medals. For the families who have paid a lot of money for entry, travel and hotel stay only to see their kid have no chance at a fair competition I would say it is pretty miserable. It isn't really sporting is it?

Happens in lots of competitions but not all HPC abuse the rules in this way. At my DD's first comp earlier this year, the girl who won had been to national finals in another form of gymnastics at a fairly high level and yet was competing pre-novice WAG. Very annoying for me and disheartening for DD.

There can be all sorts of reasons for their decisions, many decisions that gym coaches make seem quite random! There is unfairness in terms of hours girls train at the same level or whether they were born in January or December., sometimes it's even whether the coaches have even read the rules for the comp and ensure the girls don't get penalised for random moves (south east regionals 2 big clubs for level 5).

Happens in lots of competitions but not all HPC abuse the rules in this way. At my DD's first comp earlier this year, the girl who won had been to national finals in another form of gymnastics at a fairly high level and yet was competing pre-novice WAG. Very annoying for me and disheartening for DD.

What makes you think it is an 'HPC'? and anyway what is an HPC? Certain clubs in certain areas refer to themselves as HPC and yet other large elite clubs in other areas don't. I think it is a regional thing really. Any club with a nice facility and some gymnasts at the British could claim to be a High Performance Centre really.

On the BG website I can only find certain Trampolining centres formally recognised as HPC. I think certain clubs used to be designated as such but I can't find any info about it recently.

And yes I sympathise with your dd coming up against someone who excelled in another sport and was able to transfer her skills to WAG but I hardly think that compares to a compulsory elite level 3 kid dropping to level 4 'for fun'. I am sure you would have felt more hard done by had the pre novice comp been won by a compulsory 4 gymnast 'for fun' when your dd had worked so hard.

To me this is a clear cut NO. Other things are difficult and shades of grey and not entirely comfortable but this is a no. You are the level that you are at voluntaries. End of.

There can be all sorts of reasons for their decisions, many decisions that gym coaches make seem quite random! There is unfairness in terms of hours girls train at the same level or whether they were born in January or December., sometimes it's even whether the coaches have even read the rules for the comp and ensure the girls don't get penalised for random moves (south east regionals 2 big clubs for level 5).
Sure, gym isn't fair and life isn't fair, but that isn't a reason to compound the unfairness!

Oooh I saw that. There are some girls competing level 4 on the start list from London who just competed level 3 voluntaries a couple of weeks ago. One of them will be in the London team for level 3 nationals in November! I suspect there are others I haven't recognised. How can that even be fair? I mean you compete level 3 voluntaries you are level 3 not level 4.
I saw that - I guess there must be a reason for it - if they are doing level 3 vol 2 weeks after Alpha Factor it is strange to do level 4 but I am guessing there are no rules over this??? Perhaps they couldn't compete on any other day and this would be only chance to have a run out of routines - who knows.....

Or maybe they are trying to protect themselves for Nationals - I think there is quite a difference from 3 to 4 skill wise - but still a tough one to swallow.

Presumably they have already competed their voluntary at regionals, so they must have entirely level 3 worthy routines? And there are a number of other opportunities to take the routines out for a spin before nationals - Pink Ladies, Sandra Clark Invitational...

There are some girls entering at a higher level than they did in their voluntary.

I honestly can't see any justification for entering a level below what you have already competed.

I see there is an American team entered too USA All Stars (region 7) any one of our US members here going ?

My Daughter competing in Level 4 10/11 so will be interesting to see results if there are level 3 gymnasts competing in this category .

I see there is an American team entered too USA All Stars (region 7) any one of our US members here going ?

Sadly, no, but a few girls that DD knows will be there. Our team has had girls make the Regional All Stars before but none this year :(

Will the meet be streamed online?

No not online and the scores aren't live either but they do post results really fast each day with nice photos of the podium and winning sparkly numbers competition.

Anyone know the difference between pre-level 4 (age 8) and level 5 (age 8)?

The in age level 3 and level 4 should be good competitions today. I'm really interested to see the results and how close anyone can get to Halle Hilton.

Or maybe they are trying to protect themselves for Nationals - I think there is quite a difference from 3 to 4 skill wise - but still a tough one to swallow.[/Q
My Daughter competing in Level 4 10/11 so will be interesting to see results if there are level 3 gymnasts competing in this category .
I think it was a mistake on entry and there wont be Level 3's in the Level 4 out of age comp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back