Parents Am I at the wrong gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ashyflashy

Proud Parent
Gymnast
Hello. I am new to the forum. My daughter is on the competitive Level 1 Team at a gym in NY. She went to IGC over the Summer performing at a Level 3 and now has gotten some Level 4 skills under her belt. Her team is not a serious competitive gym but the girls are a "family". My daughter also takes private lessons so I am not holding her back with her skills. At her gym she is taught only Level 1 skills even though she is able to do Level 3 & some Level 4 skills. She hasnt competed yet. She has her first competition in April. I feel like I may be holding her back by keeping her at the gym she is at now. Anyone experience this? We have discussed switching gyms to a more serious one but she is hesitant to leave her friends. DO we switch gyms or not? hmmm..

How old is she? Do you mean that she was in the IGC group at her gym in the summer, or a different gym? It sounds like she is happy where she is at, but if you think that she will get bored and will need more of a challenge then I think a talk with the head coach might be in order, to find out what the plan is for your dd. We were at a gym where dd was just not moving from the advanced class they put her in when she was 4, and the only place to move up to was team, for which they only picked a small group of girls for every few years. 3 yrs later it got to be so dreadfully boring for her, that she would have wanted to quit if I hadn't moved her to a bigger, more professional gym.
My advice...if you see her wanting more and it's just not being offered to her, put some feelers out for a new place.

There is really no point in competing level 1 or 2, so why keep her there to do it? Especially if she has the skills for level 3 or 4. I would start looking at other gyms if competitive gymnastics is what she wants. It sounds like this gym is more for fun and very low-key.

She is 8. And yes the gym she is at is very laid back and fun. They focus mainly on perfecting the "cartwheel" before moving forward. She definitely needs a challenge and is capable of doing more. I feel like she may move faster at a different gym. At her private lessons she has learned a lot more. These are her skills: cartwheel, round off, back walkover, front walkover, back handspring, handstand roll, bars : pull over, back hip circles, mill circles, (jumps to high bar, name?..lol) Beam: Handstand, cartwheel, handstand twist dismount. I am sure I am missing a lot. I see potential for her to do more but not if we stay where we are. :( Thanks for your help

I'm confused...ashyflashy, are you a parent or a gymnast? You posted in another thread about help with a mill circle, mentioning what your coach tells you. ??

hate that when that happens...:)[/quote]
==
yes,,, here it is....
"My coach always tells me the same thing. She says to fix it to be straighten everything and swing your writs around fast and hard. Hope that helps!"

Ashy, Can you explain this discrepancy? Please tell us about yourself.

It sounds like you've made up your mind. :) I, personally, wouldn't have my DD compete at Level 1, especially with level 3 & 4 skills. Have you started looking around at other gyms?

Haven't started looking yet. I want to finish out the year there. She has made such friendships its going to be hard for her too.

We switched gyms this year. I took DD from a "fun" rec gym where she was the little darling. She got special treatment and my voice actually pulled some weight. To be honest, DD was not happy, and was pretty sad with the gym move. But she is ultimately more happy now that she has the potential to work up to optionals (which was not an option at the other gym). It took a couple of months, but she recognizes that it was the better choice, in hindsight!
Good luck!

Ashy, just wanted to send you a note here too. Your daughter is not allowed to post on your account. If she is 14 please ask her to make her own account. If she is not 14 or above she must wait to make her own account. If she continues to share the account you will be banned from CB. This is a policy we take very seriously for the safety of all of our members.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back