Parents And another thing...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Swiftli

Proud Parent
Forgive me if this is long winded...

Our home meet this weekend was a YMCA league meet. We had all levels competing in 3 sessions in one day. I showed up to my DD session (session 2) of the day and dropped her off for stretch. The first session (lvl 4) was just getting ready to do awards. I squeezed myself in the bleachers with some lvl 4 team moms and set up to watch the awards.

Before they started one of the mom's leaned over to me and said the meet director made a mistake and didn't order the proper amount of medals, so they were giving ribbons out today and mailing awards later. In my mind I was like that stinks for these kids but it was an mistake and nothing that can be done now.

As the placements were being called out, a competitor team "gym mom" started LOUDLY commenting. "That is SO CHEAP", "I paid $50 for a ribbon" That is SO CHEAP". Now I think she said this about 15 times loudly to anyone in ears reach. "Salute Girls, raise your CHEAP ribbons." she continued on....I then overheard her read aloud the text message she sent to her coach on the floor..."What is up with the CHEAP ribbons?"-coach response "They claim they didn't order enough and they are mailing them"--Her comment "Yea, right. I am sure I will have to pay the shipping."

I did turn around and give her "a look" and she said..."What? I am sorry. I think it is really cheap"....I said. "Yes, I know....I think everyone around you knows how you feel"

The gym did give what medals they did have for AA placements with the top 3 positions receiving engraved plaques with their placement on them. The "gym mom" started again. "Plaques! Where is the trophy. Plaques and cheap ribbons, yay!" "Yay girls raise those Plaques"

I bit my tongue. There are many meets I have attending, where the gymnasts are awarded a plaque as a trophy.

NOW...The Y's Core values we try to teach the girls is Caring, Responsibility, Honesty....and RESPECT. This woman has a daughter that is a part of a Y team. I thought her comments were tacky and quite disrespectful. What happened to "If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything"?

It took so much attention away from the all the girls, the placements and the podium salutes and I am sure...all the other parents in a 15 foot radius of her felt the same way.

She should move to Canada, we pay $50 to $100 per meet and they only have medals for 1-3 and ribbons for 4-8,and only if there are more than 20 girls in the group. We never get those 50% out awards you see down there.

What a rude woman, though she is probably that "trailer trashy" in her whole life. Some people have no grace and they don't even know they are lacking. Pity her kid!

Oh how horrible. I hate when people are like that. They really need to get a life. Very rude. Her poor daughter was probably so embarrassed. The coach should have reprimanded her when she texted him/her. Told her to keep her mouth shut.

Sadly, there are those kind of people everywhere. I would write a letter to her club, describe her if you can or if you know her daughter's name. Remind the club what the Ys values are. Maybe they will talk to her and remind her of the same. Mistakes happen and I am sure your club felt bad enough as it was.

That behaviour is just ugly and embarrassing.

And what is wrong with ribbons for placements? Every meet is different, some are all ribbons except AA. Some are medals top 3 and then ribbons. Some are all medals. Some go out all the way, some 1/2. Some divide the girls up evenly, some have one huge age group and one tiny age group.

On some level it is the club's responsibility to set and maintain the "culture" that they expect from their families. I would be mortified if one of our parents behaved that way at a meet. And I would want to know.

I agree about politely informing the club about the situation, b/c hopefully the coaches or administration do not support this attitude.

Picking jaw up off of floor. WOW !! How awful. If a parent on our team did that they would not be allowed to attend any future meets.

I am amazed at the way some people behave. What a horrible example to ste for her child.

If a parent at dd's gym behaved like that at a meet they would be kicked out of the gym. Seriously, I've seen them do it. What a rude whack-o!

Wow! I'm just shocked that she thinks her behavior is okay! Sheesh--what on earth is she teaching her daughter??

Wow.

I don't think I've ever paid as little as $50 for any meet! Gym's are hit hard by the economy too. I think I'd rather pay less and have DD get a ribbon than pay the $95 for some meets.

Some people are just never happy. Coach should have sent her a text telling her to quiet down or leave.

WOW how horrible. I disagree with this woman in many ways. I am not sure there even needs to be a ribbon / medal / trophy ???? I would think leaving a meet having done one's best and having adults you care about give you their uninterrupted attention while you perform would be reward enough.

I suggest she switch her daughter to pageantry, so she can leave a "meet" with a flippin crown and a trophy as big as her child.

Emory.....That is hilarious! You are so right, she would have probably fit right in there. I love watching that show on TLC...Toddlers and Tiaras...it puts me in check on the whole "gym mom" thing.

They're out there! Every meet I go to I think either someone is upset with the awards or that they only went out 7 places or something! There is always going to be someone that is LOOKING for a reason to complain! I don't get it!!

Because lots of people think they are entitled to something for just being there. Now I admit I like when meets medal all the way out for AA.

When my DS took karate parents would complain at testing if the kid didn't earn the belt - because they had paid $50 for the testing. My thought was, I don't want my kid to get a belt because I paid for the test, I want my kid to get a belt because he earned it !!

O lord.....

So I had also sent the same description to our director to bring her in the loop and that I also was considering writing the other gym. Our director thanked me, explained further what happened but also copied the email to the other gym.

Low and behold...I get a call today at my work from the "gym mom" in question explaining further her reasonings for being upset and that the gym should have made an announcement to the audience as to what was happening.

THIS STRANGER CALLED ME AT WORK!....

(note to self.....remove automated name information from email if you don't want pyschos to call you)

Who knows....she could also be following these forums....:eek:.

She's just nuts:eek:
I can't believe she called you. What on earth did you say to her on the phone?
I would have been freaked and probably hung up.

And hopefully she does follow the forums because maybe she will get a clue that her behavior was unacceptable no matter what her reasoning. That gym owes her nothing, but she owes her dd and all of the other gymnast the respect they deserve for working hard and doing their best at the competition. Plus, she owes the competition gym the benefit of the doubt, as well as some graciousness that they even held a meet. Those thing are not easy to pull off. I bet she has never helped with one - ever.
She acts like a spoiled brat.

I'm shocked the gym forwarded your e-mail to her! That is just wrong.

She's just nuts:eek:
I can't believe she called you. What on earth did you say to her on the phone?
I would have been freaked and probably hung up.

Well..at first I thought it was a co-worker I had never spoken with before. Once I realized who it was...my first initial reaction was to hang up...and quick..but then I thought...NO...she isn't going to bully me. She was the one in the wrong not I.

I let her do most of the talking and just said ok...ok...ok to most of her statements. I really didn't want to engage her in further conversation for fear my anger would take control and I knew I was at work.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back