Parents And another thing...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That is terrible, it sounds like the gym comps are more about the medals and the trophies than they are about the experience. I see nothing wrong with giving out ribbons for placings on apparatus, ribbons are fine, the girls don't need "expensive" rewards to know they did well.

In Australian competitions they will often give out only 1st-3rd place, and up to 6th at the very most regardless of the numbers in an event and we don't have all divisions you have in the USA. So there could be 120 girls in the division and 3 places. No one has ever complained, comps aren't meant to be about building your trophy collection.

I see nothing wrong with giving out ribbons for placings on apparatus, ribbons are fine, the girls don't need "expensive" rewards to know they did well.
I am ok with this so long as the host doesn't charge an arm and a leg for entry fee and admissions. If I pay that much to the host, I expect to have at least nice awards, which isn't always the case BTW.

There is another advantage of not giving out all the fancy awards. You can have cheaper competitions which are more affordable to families.

comps aren't meant to be about building your trophy collection.

Ah you see certainly aren't in UK or aus or Can. However I often get the impression on this board that they absolutely are for USAG. A trophy or medal is seen as recognition for taking part. Competition fees are expensive and parents want value for money and something to cheer dd up when she comes last or second last or whatever. Going home with nothing at the end of the meet seems to be feared.

I think the expectations are very different in USAG. Kids and parents expect a take home piece of metal however they do on the day just for taking part. I think it would be hard to change that attitude now.

I actually am seeing this coming in in the UK for football and rubgy. Kids come into school with these posh trophies for taking part in a tournament. I do think encouragement is good. I particularly like things like t shirts or bags or hats or something for taking part. But if you give out medals for taking part you must end up with bigger and bigger trophies for winning. I can see that getting out of control. I always thought the desire to win that sought after medal was what spurred kids on to work harder.

I'd love to see donations to charity instead or adopt a panda for each child. Or a certificate for each child saying 'your entry to take part in this competition bought a hundred bricks for a school in Africa' A 'pass it on' not a 'take it home'

And let's not forget you don't get a medal for 10th place at the olympics. LOL.:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back