Parents Another question of gym etiquette

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i guess its possible that coaches may fear their gymnasts will get recruited by the other gym.
or, that gymnast will end up liking the other gym better.
Lol, one of our girls is being HEAVILY recruited by a gym where she occasionally attends open gym with a friend. They are talking about offering her a scholarship to keep the fees in line with what she currently pays at our gym... BUT she would be their highest level gymnast (fairly young gym, also has competitive cheer teams, has $$$ to spend on upgrading / building a bigger gym) AND, to compete HS gym, she would have to come back to our gym and HC, which would be AWKWARD to say the least. She also likes that our gym is 6 minutes from home and the other one is 25 minutes... she can still cheer for her middle school and do whatever other activities she wants in addition to MS gymnastics team and our team. I could see SOME coaches being worried about that kind of thing, but it isn't a big deal (although this gym did "poach" 4-6 of their original girls from a well respected program in the area... home of a former Olympian and all, lol)... and 2 of those girls had been at OUR gym before that (one of the 2 is back and the other one STILL has a CGM, so I am glad she is NOT).

This may be a dumb question, but I'm really new to gymnastics. Why are they not allowed to go to a trampoline park?

not a dumb question at all. trampolines should only be used with supervision, trained gymnastics people and using proper sequential progressions in the teaching thereof.

the trampoline parks have NONE of that. this is the WHY the trampoline parks are experiencing injuries that the like of gymnastics has never seen. this includes 6 deaths in the last 15 months.

my rule is practically moot anyway. if they go, it is more likely than not that they will suffer a catastrophic injury unlike the typical gymnastics injury and won't be able to return to gymnastics again anyway.

i should probably include in my above post that you will only find proper coaching at a gym club and those affiliated with USA Gymnastics.

This may be a dumb question, but I'm really new to gymnastics. Why are they not allowed to go to a trampoline park?
Gymnasts are the first ones to throw a skill.
I have learned the hard way. I still get the urge to take them every once in a while, but I have stopped myself.
Everytime I go, someone gets hurt.

not a dumb question at all. trampolines should only be used with supervision, trained gymnastics people and using proper sequential progressions in the teaching thereof.

the trampoline parks have NONE of that. this is the WHY the trampoline parks are experiencing injuries that the like of gymnastics has never seen. this includes 6 deaths in the last 15 months.

my rule is practically moot anyway. if they go, it is more likely than not that they will suffer a catastrophic injury unlike the typical gymnastics injury and won't be able to return to gymnastics again anyway.

Wow. I wasn't aware of this. My gymmie is so new (like, two months of rec) that she doesn't really have skills, but I think we'll skip the trips to the trampoline park going forward, because she's just the type to try something she's not ready for. That place is expensive anyway.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back