WAG Anyone ever seen a 10.0?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Would you deduct for the leg line and foot extension throughout? because this is what stood out to me. Right from the start poor foot extension in one part of the mount and the leg line is not exceptional and every time she kicks/lifts her leg it looks slightly bent. What are the JO deductions?

Not trying to be rude because I hesitate to criticize a routine, and the child made a great effort, but there are deductions that were not taken here.

Do you think this is true for both optionals and compulsories in the state? And do you think it has gotten worse the last few years? State scores have always felt a little higher, but it seems much worse now -- especially when I look at lower level scores. I thought it was due to the recent changes in routines, but the vault scores at the recent level 6/7 meet stunned me.

Although I agree that there seem to be big jumps in state meet scores, our optionals (in particular 8 - 10s) compete throughout the region (during the season and regionals), and I haven't seen big differences in the scoring (exception is probably MD -- a little tougher scoring there). So not sure it's a big issue for optionals (there seems to be one event each year that gets "easy" judges, but the scores generally make sense based on other meets).

I am curious on how this could impact meet selection Should coaches look to go to higher scoring meets and states in order to create a good record for gymnasts? Should our coaches look to go out of the state more at the compulsory levels in order to get a more realistic view of performance (optionals already travel throughout the region)?

True in all levels.

But like I said regular meets don't seem to score nearly this high for the same routines. I get that to some extent we have a long season and you would expect for that reason some kids are peaking at states, but this is beyond that. The scores are very high for routines when performed the same way at regular season meets score lower. When compulsories repeat they often score 1-2 POINTS lower in their first fall meet than they did at compulsory states unless they were missing a skill the first time around or something. So that right there tells you something is up.

Regular season meets are on par with other areas in the southeast and mid Atlantic. I used to find that MD scores were much lower but find that is no longer the case or even the opposite for regular season.

Some of it also has to do with which meets you attend. There are some smaller meets I saw this year where scores were way high (in Dallas area). But other big stable Texas meets where scores were tough. One meet meet I still remember, I saw multiple level 6 girls score in the 9s on bars with no handstands, feet separations, bent elbows, etc. Two of those girls scored high 7/low 8 on bars at every meet the rest of the season.

I also noticed that certain meets over the years where the scoring seemed more or less strict, but I never tied it to size or state. Each year, my daughter has a meet where each team member gets on average half a point lower. Earlier in the year, when we went to a large meet out of state, we were told that the scoring was generous. I always assumed it was tied to the meet itself, and not to the specific state.

Some of it also has to do with which meets you attend. There are some smaller meets I saw this year where scores were way high (in Dallas area). But other big stable Texas meets where scores were tough. One meet meet I still remember, I saw multiple level 6 girls score in the 9s on bars with no handstands, feet separations, bent elbows, etc. Two of those girls scored high 7/low 8 on bars at every meet the rest of the season.

@Tuppy, We were actually told it was because it was a busy meet weekend the best judges were already booked at other bigger, more established meets. Our former gym actually books a meet at one of these lesser meets on busy meet weekend, knowing the leftover judging pool will be more lenient, and the girls all qualify to state at their first meet with strong scores off the bat.

I think TX is a very competitive state for compulsories and also a huge state. I don't think the high scores in the DFW area are indicative of over scoring but more of the saturation of good gyms in that area. And along with that comes good and experienced judges who are more,likely to follow USAG national events and updates, attend congress, etc. there are other areas in TX where this is less true.

This is very true. Our girls score a little lower at States and North State than perhaps they would in our district. There are some very competitive gyms in the DFW area and they get a lot of the very high scores people talk about. They tend to be well-deserved, though, because of the polished look to their routines.

I don't want to be mean, but genuine question - how can 3 seperate judges not find any deductions in that 10.0 beam routine? My untrained eye can see many .1 deductions. Bent legs, flexed foot, posture, a couple of wobbles. Don't get me wrong, it was very very nice, but she would have been tenth'd to death where I live.

I don't want to be mean, but genuine question - how can 3 seperate judges not find any deductions in that 10.0 beam routine? My untrained eye can see many .1 deductions. Bent legs, flexed foot, posture, a couple of wobbles. Don't get me wrong, it was very very nice, but she would have been tenth'd to death where I live.
That's what a lot of this discussion is about. 10s on YouTube that even to the untrained eye have glaring errors that would make them not 10.0 routines. There's one with a girl on compulsory bars where she actually takes a step on the landing, among a couple other errors, and the one judge cheers, then nudges the other judge excitedly, then she gets a 10. Hilarious!

I'm pretty sure that beam routine only showed a single judge. Double and quad judging panels seem to reduce these types of questionable scores.

That's what a lot of this discussion is about. 10s on YouTube that even to the untrained eye have glaring errors that would make them not 10.0 routines. There's one with a girl on compulsory bars where she actually takes a step on the landing, among a couple other errors, and the one judge cheers, then nudges the other judge excitedly, then she gets a 10. Hilarious!
I'm amending my post because I mixed up two videos in my head, and because I can't figure out how to edit it. In the video I cited, she didn't take a step on the landing, but she did arch up on her last cast. She's a lovely gymnast, though, it just wasn't a perfect 10.

First post. I have a limited perspective, being just a longtime fan. I've probably seen a fraction of the meets the rest of you have, and only NCAA, elite and level 9-10. As others have said, 10's aren't terribly rare in NCAA, and I've seen one myself: UNC's Courtney Bumpers in 2004, one of several she earned as a Tarheel, including at NCAA FX event finals in 2005, where she became 2-time national FX champ and the first ever to earn a 10 in event finals. I saw her compete about four or five times, and she was exciting to watch. That said, NCAA judging is a bit more generous than level 9-10 from what I've seen. I haven't kept track, does NCAA still use the JO Code of Points?

I didn't see it live, but here is a perfect 10 from region 5 regionals (level 7) over the weekend. Well deserved in my opinion.

Thank you for sharing this- my daughter was completely blown away. She said she wants that girl to have a YouTube channel just so she can follow her..

I am curious on how this could impact meet selection Should coaches look to go to higher scoring meets and states in order to create a good record for gymnasts? Should our coaches look to go out of the state more at the compulsory levels in order to get a more realistic view of performance (optionals already travel throughout the region)?

Create a good record for what?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back