Parents are any of the parents out there competitive athletes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dani4

Proud Parent
I'm wondering if any of you parents are competitive athletes, and if you have found that it helps you be more supportive of your gymnast. My kids are too little to be competitive athletes yet (2 & 4 years old), but I hope that they will compete in something someday, perhaps something less time consuming than gymnastics :).

My husband and I are rowers- DH currently is training & competitive, he is 50 years old and I think it's amazing how he gets faster with age. That is the great thing about rowing, age is not as much of a problem as in other sports. Though the elites are rarely older than mid-20s. I have not competed since having kids, but I plan to compete again someday. The current problem is that my 2 year old doesn't sleep through the night, and I just can't deal with rowing & working on less than 5 hours sleep. I do train at the gym though, and I'm hoping to get on the water in the next year or so.

I loved gymnastics as a kid, I self-taught a lot of tumbling but my parents would never take me to a gym. I think it was mostly an issue of convenience, but they also saw how tall I was and figured gymnastics was not the right sport for me (I am 5'10"). My parents are not athletes and didn't really understand what was involved or how to be supportive. They did a lot based on convenience. But I shouldn't complain- I got to swim competitively for a couple of years, until my team closed down and my mom refused to drive to the next-closest pool (only 20 minutes away from our house! but we were spoiled and lived in NYC where everything is close). I also got lots of tennis lessons, since that is the sport my parents play. Now that they are into golf they keep talking about taking my 4 year old to golf lessons, and I'm like that's ridiculous guys... I see how much it really is about them and what they like to do.

So anyway I'm determined to let my kids follow their passions, and be supportive and all that. Within reason of course- and I'm hoping that whatever they end up doing won't spell the end of my competitive rowing career. Because I'd like to be one of those super fast grey-haired ladies someday.

Can anyone relate?

I can relate. I played Division 1 college soccer and I think it helps my daughter and I to understand one another better. I "get" her passion for gymnastics because it is the same way I felt and still feel about soccer, even though I don't play anymore (my body hurts too much!) I feel as if sports molded me and shaped who I am, and taught me some of the greatest life lessons ever. I'm happy that my dd is lucky enough to be so passionate about something and to be able to pursue her dreams. There is really nothing quite like that adrenaline rush you get from doing what you love. When I go visit my parents up north in the autumn, it still "smells" like soccer season to me and brings me right back! :)

Yes, I was a competitive gymnast through high school. Then when I was 16 I stopped competing and got into competitive indoor rock climbing. Now I play roller derby and practice 3x a week for 2-3 hours and of course my season runs jan-June just like my daughters gymnastics season. Weekends are super hectic right now between my bouts and her competitions. So far I'm only having to miss one out of town bout because it falls the same weekend as her state meet.

I did not do gymnastics but I grew up playing softball and volleyball and now as an adult I play Tennis which I LOVE (and I compete in matches/tournaments)!
I am a competitive person so I kind of have to watch myself and let dd figure out how competitive she is going to be. She is just starting pre-team (evaluations are a week from tomorrow) so I dont want to push too hard too fast but that is kind of difficult to bite my tongue. I am scared one day it might fall out ..lol. :)
My husband is not a competitive nor did he play at this age (7) so this is new territory for him and he is still on the fence. ;)

I didnt do anything competitively after high school, but ive always had the drive to win. Heck, I would practice for hours and hours, on my own. DD seems to have the same drive and competitive nature.

I swam competitively as a child, hubbie played rugby internationally (back when it was supposedly an amateur sport still) and cricket at County level. He also now coaches rugby so We both appreciate the effort required to suceed.

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

DH has a National Champion wrester and on the US wrestling team (non Olympic year). I just danced lol. We are both very competitive and I think it both helps and hinders. We understand her need and drive to do better and the (unattainable) quest for perfection.

But it also is hard somedays to not push her a little and let her coaches do the coaching.

Please tell me all my years in training count for something. You see there's really no formal competitive venue for what I do best, a sort of surfing conducted from an elevated platform with padding, and a remote control clasped firmly in one hand.

I must say I long for the day the first ever USA "channel surfing" championships are conducted....... I'm a lock for a spot on the podium..... :) ;)

I was a competitive figure skater, which was why my choice of sport for my dd way back at preschool level was gymnastics. :)

Who knew it would turn into what it has? But I wanted to have her involved in a sport I knew nothing about, so I COULDN'T be one of "those moms". I was actually asking dd about something she was doing on bars and she got a little annoyed and said she didn't want me to know all about what she was doing so I wouldn't be a "gym mom", because one girl in her group has a mom a bit like that.

But aside from that, I do think that my background in competing can be helpful in that I get what nerves can feel like and what they can do. I think it also helps me be understanding of the frustrations of not getting a skill or just generally getting discouraged.

I ran track and X Country in college, as well as played tennis in HS. My DH played 3 sports in HS, played golf in college and was a professional golfer for 20 years (club pro, not on the tour, but still lots of high level professional tournaments). I continued to run road races once I was out of college, but lately it is all just for fun and to stay in shape!

We love sports and are competitive, as are our children. I say the life lessons learned through training and competing are invaluable and not easily replaced (if at all). The self-discipline, the focus, and the challenge you ask your body and mind to rise to time and time again will serve you your whole life. I love watching my children practice, train and compete and I have such respect for Olympic and professional athletes!

I was a 4 year starter for a top 15 division 1 NCAA team. I was actually hoping my daughter would follow in my footsteps on a team sport, but no such luck. She loves gymnastics and is very driven. She started gymnastics a t 7 years old and she just turned 10 and is training level 7. She definitely has the drive. I keep telling her it's a long road, and it's very important to love what she is doing. My other 2 children also are very good athletes in team sports. I compete in races and any challenge I can get my hands on still. I think it rubs off on them. I actually think it is very hard watching my dd compete, since it is such an individual sport and is different from running, as you can clearly see who the winner is. I think the lessons learned through tough competition keep the child focus and mentally strong and it will carry them through life. Plus some of my best friends today, we're teammates 20 years ago...

No longer competitive at anything because at my age, I no longer am interested in the butterflies, anxiety, pain, etc. I was a professional dancer and toured with various companies, competed and performed and choreographed many shows. My husband played football and rugby at a NCAA Div. 1 Ivy League. All my children are very competitive, except my son who is a fencer. He is as laid back as can be. I ran marathons but have not done one in three years following a stress fracture during my last marathon. I now do occasional half marathons. Training for a full marathon is a beast of a different nature. I am ready to spend my days sitting on a lounge chair in a sandy beach with a drink in my hand. I like to stay in shape however. I just registered for classes at a crossfit near me. I would love to so some double unders and be a lean mean old woman machine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back