Parents Asked about team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Seagull00

Proud Parent
Allison is very interested in competing once she has some experience under her belt( she's L1) I want her to have a solid foundation before she goes there but told her I would ask for more information. I had to call the gym today about an unrelated issue and while I was on the phone, I asked for more information. The person I spoke to told me our gym has a xcel team and a developmental team and that if she's interested in being on team to talk to her coach and let her know that Alli is interested. She said her coach will work with her and pay special attention to her with team in mind. If she feels like Alli would benefit from it then she'd invite her to try out. She said that if she shows talent and promise then she'll be put on xcel and then move to developmental if she works hard. I'm going to talk to the coach, but I don't want to come off as pushy or overbearing, so I was thinking I'd ask some general questions of her coach and maybe let her get more into this session before I make it known that she'd like to compete. What do you more experienced parents think? What would be a good way to word it? Oh and Alli is also begging to do 2, 1 week long day sessions in June and July for gymnastics camp. Is it too soon to be thinking about that? I want her to grow and learn and develop her skills, but I don't want her to overload herself either. The camp gym is in St. Louis, MO about 35 minutes away from our gym. Our gym offers a camp too but it's nothing like the camp gym's program, which focuses solely on skill building, form and conditioning. Our gym pairs up some gym time with other activities.

Is this your 8 year old who just started, but is flexible and can do a few skills already (from your other post)?

If so, then you are totally in line to pointedly express her interest in team, as soon as possible. If she was 3 or 4, then you could wait and see more, but some gyms start imposing age limits on who they might target/accept into what JO levels, so no time to waste. My feeling is many gyms won't assume a brand new 8 year old is looking to compete, and might not even think to consider her if you don't speak up (it is like this in our gym to an extent).

I would cheerily state "Hi coach, Allison loves everything about gymnastics, and is super interested in competing, and I fully support her in her goals. What are her opportunities in Xcel and JO? Where would she need to start, and what would she need to accomplish to make the team? Help me understand as I am new to gymnastics."

Or something like that. Try to either make an appointment with the coach, or choose a time when he/she can talk for a few minutes (privately is best). Then ask all the questions that you want.

As for the camp, if she's 8, I say go for it if she is enthusiastic and it is affordable for you. It's likely they have something for every level, so if she's really into gymnastics, she will probably have a blast. Don't expect TOO much (as in a lot of new skills) since she is just starting, but I'm sure she'll come away with very positive things.

Just start the conversation, and if she does have talent and a great work ethic, so much is possible. Good luck!

Yes this is my 8 yr old who just started, has had one lesson, and spends all of her spare time doing cartwheels, round offs, splits, backbends and handstands. She practices stretching on her own 30-45 minutes a day and then proceeds to do the skills she knows and asks me for more stretches or exercises. She's very enthusiastic. I've already. Promised her that she can take gymnastics and tumbling next session, I may try to get her in two classes at her level if the budget can absorb it, just to help her get more training in. ( 2 gymnastics classes, the tumbling class) I'll talk to her coach Friday and see what she says. Thanks! I just really don't want to come across as obnoxious.

Just a quick proviso - gymnastics is expensive. If you are a limited budget have a browse through the threads about costs and hours to give you a guide on what the financial and time commitment to team would be. It would be heartbreaking for her to get her hopes up it it wasn't possible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back