back exstention roll...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

how do you get into a handstand? the furthest i can get to is a head stand. ): i dont how you get to your hands! D: help?, thanks in advanced.

You need to make sure you start standing tall with your arms straight up and behind your ears, try to keep your middlle fingers touching. Make sure you don't drop your arms forward as you sit back. Your arms should hit the ground before your head. Your arms should not bend.

You really are supposed to keep your arms straight as you roll - fingers turned inward - and your hands should hit the floor before the back of your head does. It's the momentum from your feet going up that pulls you to HS.
PS: I could never do it properly. I remember being pulled off doing a flip series on beam to demonstrate this skill to a bunch of lower levels girls. I did try warning the coach that I sucked at it (lucky I jumped that level!!) but she didn't listen and they ended up in hysterics that an elite was so bad at it. I think it might have cheered them up a bit though. ;)

Start with arms straight and fingers facing each other
Sit on your heels (don't lean forward) This will make you begin to roll quickly
Stay in a tuck until your shoulders begin to contact the floor.
Shoot your feet toward the ceiling while opening your shoulders to handstand.

This is what I call "cheating without breaking the rules" with my kids. If you stay in the tuck and use you legs to help you get to handstand it's easier. Once you have gotten the timing and the shoulder strength to get to handstand this way. Start straightening you body out so you can do this through a candlestick since a Back extension roll is basically a free hip handstand.

Hope this helps :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back