Parents Bar shorts, a yes or no?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Funny too, I asked some coaches and they all said .......shorts......
There are some pretty bad fitting leotards, and old worn ones......they prefer shorts that are tight.

I can't imagine how tight shorts would interfere with seeing form.

Shorts are not allowed at our gym except for the summer when things are a bit more lax.... otherwise, no shorts at all.

Ours can use them if they want during the off-season but as meet time approaches they aren't allowed to wear them any more.

Really interesting the difference in perception between countries....our gym is another Aussie gym where the kids freeze all winter & melt all summer...yes & as Ausi_poppet said...boys shirts are always off.

Now our kids at IL9 are training bigger skills & the croppies ( as sports bras are affectionately known) don't cause any problems...& no injuries either-think the risk of heat stroke is more relevant where we live ☺

At my daughters gym the older girls always wear leos with bar shorts all year around. In the winter they warm up in pj pants or yoga pants. The younger team girls have all started wearing them as well. Usually the tight short nylon ones. Our gym has no AC and not much heat but still only the dancers come into the building in sports bras. The boys team wears tight tanks and basketball shorts. The loose fitting shorts don't seem to be a spotting problem for them. But I have seen some of them athletic tape their shorts waist to their bodies. In the summer most of them workout shirtless. Which raises a few teen girl eyebrows even though they pretend not to notice.

I was looking around yesterday when I picked my dd up and all of the level 9 and 10 girls were wearing bar shorts over their leotards. I would say about 1/3 of the younger team girls that I noticed were wearing shorts over their leotards (levels 3-5). There was a tumbling class going on and they were all wearing athletic shirts and gym shorts. The rec classes were mostly just leotards.

Reactions: sce
leos and shorts are worn almost daily at our gym. In our house we just call them booty shorts. I've never heard them called bar shorts, but I can see how they would be helpful on bars for their skin. Coaches made them go two weeks at the gym without them to get them used to doing the routines without before the first comp, but they've let up since then.

No shorts for team girls at our gym. Only cheer tumblers wear them. Some rec girls wear unitards, but not leos with shorts.

Our gym allows them for optionals on Saturdays, when they mostly do conditioning and cross-training. And if they *cough* need to wear them.

My daughter's gym used to be pretty strict about the shorts, but quite a few girls have hit the dreaded age of late and the coaches have been giving them a lot more leeway to wear shorts when uh, needed, if you will.

I am guessing the thought process is, if it makes them feel more comfortable during a potentially embarrassing time, it's not a battle worth having.

And those 3" Nike Pros are so freaking tiny, I can't imagine what form issues they would prevent a coach from seeing.

The only problem with wearing shorts only at that time of the month is that everyone knows why you are wearing shorts. I started carrying a purse in middle school for the same reason and everyone knew why people started carrying purses. So embarrassing.

My ODDs gym has a rule of no short for anyone once the "season" starts, which is whenever they switch from skills to routines. My YDD wear shorts to every single practice, as does every other girl on team. She has no issues competing without them but is glad she can practice comfortably.

Within reason, anything goes at our gym. It's not unusual to see gymnasts in crop tops and shorts, sleeveless Leos with and without shorts or long sleeved Leos with and without shorts during the same session!
Personally I'm a fan of the sleeveless Leo and no shorts option, but that's just me. I really don't like leggings unless it's very cold, but the lead coach doesn't mind. As long as the gymnasts are getting through their programmes she happy!

Most of the girls wear shorts over their Leo at DD's gym. There are several wearing capri leggings right now in fact.

No shorts would pose a problem for my DD because leos often fit her weird on the bottom. She's so tiny, but getting tall enough to be in more age tracking sizes (as opposed to the 4t she could still wear at 7 yo). The shorts allow her to wear leos that might be a bit baggy on the bottom but she still loves.

No shorts would pose a problem for my DD because leos often fit her weird on the bottom. She's so tiny, but getting tall enough to be in more age tracking sizes (as opposed to the 4t she could still wear at 7 yo). The shorts allow her to wear leos that might be a bit baggy on the bottom but she still loves.
Have you checked out GymDigs leotards? They were able to make me a custom leo (actually I got a biketard) and I don't fit anywhere on any leotard size chart... and am in different sizes in all other size charts. It fit well. I was shocked! And it cost less than a regular GK leotard :)

Have you checked out GymDigs leotards? They were able to make me a custom leo (actually I got a biketard) and I don't fit anywhere on any leotard size chart... and am in different sizes in all other size charts. It fit well. I was shocked! And it cost less than a regular GK leotard :)
Thanks! I'll check it out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back