Bhs on High Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymstreet123

Okay so i just got my back handspring on the high beam about a week ago and now my body refuses to let me do it... i'll be swigging my arms back and ill just stop...
I feel like im the only one thats scared of them.. I competed level 7 with a round-off all year on beam and now everyone on my team has a bhs and i refuse to not move up! I want to be a level 8 with all my teammates! does anyone know how to get over the fear of falling? i understand you'll fall A LOT in gymnastics but i want to know how to not be scared anymore! PLEASE RESPOND!!!!!!!
xoxo- Kyla (Gymnast)
p.s. i just got a new coach and im not used to him yet... he also doesnt know what i can do for skills... he also wont spot me because he thinks i can do it! HELP!)::(:(:(

i used to have the same problem when i started doing them on these beams that i didnt like. But when i did my first bhs on high i had to show a routine with now mats, and I had my bhs on 1 8 incher under the beam, and i guess the pressure made me do it ha :). My suggestion for you would be to do a lot on the beam and with the number of mats under the beam ( unless you are not allowed). Or if you have the space practice doing back handsprings at your house on a line. that is what helped me.
And about your coach, has he told you he won't spot you because he thinks you can do it or does he just sit there and not do anything/you haven't asked him for spot yet. tell him you are scared of the high beam. at my gym,, honesty is key, so if you tell him your scared he might spot you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back