Parents Big Skills this week for my 6 yo Daughter

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momofthreegirls

Coach
Proud Parent
:) Just needed a place to brag where people understand...

My 6 yo DD got her kip today! I wasn't expecting her to get it so quickly - she only started working them a few weeks ago (and it took her older sister almost a full year to get the kip).

She also got her ROBHSBHS today. For the past few weeks she was pausing after the first BHS, but did it connected today.

Oh, and last week she got her cast handstand on bars. :) That was a big deal to her because her coach gave her jelly beans as a reward.

Now all she needs to move up to current L5/new L4 is her vault over the table. I can't imagine how she will get her 38 pound body over the table, but she is determined. When I explained the levels changing names, she decided she definitely didn't want to move "down" to L3 next season (even though it technically is repeating, try explaining that to a kindergartener! :))

Goodbye and good riddance shoot through and mill circle! :D Too bad the routines change next year - she learned the current L5 routine already by watching her older sister.

Wow, she's really doing great! I wouldn't worry too much about the vault. It seems impossible, but somehow they do it. We have a 55-pounder doing a Tsuk so somehow it's possible. :)

My dd just finished Level 5 and she is the size of your dd (she is 8 though). Vault was tough to get with the proper shape, but she could do it (she was actually one of the top vaulters on her team). The problem for her is the weight on the springboard. When she was under 40 pounds, she just didn't have the weight to punch the springboard effectively. The other issue is the table is very long for the little ones - she hit her back on the table periodically because she just didn't have the speed down the runway. My dd vaulted on 95 for much of the summer and then they moved her up to 100 for competition season (she is only 44 inches tall). It really helped her to get the shape correct - her highest score of the season was a 9.5 and she was consistently over 9 when she landed them. But she also fell twice because there is no room for error for a kid her size. The joke is now that she will be the only kid doing yurchenkos on 100! Good luck and congratulations on the kip!

Holy moly...a cast handstand at 6? And then learning a kip after only a few weeks - took DD almost a year, and she was 8 at the time. Sounds like you have kid who is great at bars :). Congratulations. Oh, and yeah, don't worry about the vault - I've seen some really tiny ones get over it w/o issue. They can always put it on a lower setting for her too.

Thanks everyone! It's nice when people aren't like "What's a kip?" or "That move?? That doesn't look so hard."

My oldest DD shed many tears over the kip, as it was the one skill that held her back for an entire year. Thankfully she doesn't seem to be jealous of her younger sister. They have very different strengths - oldest is good at vault and beam, and the younger at bars and floor.

That is super! The tiniest girl on our L5 team seems to have the biggest vault, so hopefully everything will go well with the vault for your little one.

Wow, those are some big skills for a six year old! I think my daughter could just about manage a cartwheel and maybe a pullover, although that might be looking back through rosy tinted lenses, lol. Good going :)

That is so great!!! Keep encouraging her, with skills like that at her age she will continue to amaze you and if she has no fear that's even better! Looking forward to reading more about her!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back