Parents boy gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flip4funmom

Proud Parent
*I am new here so forgive me in advance :)

I see the majority or the posts are in relation to female gymnasts (which is completely understandable) but I have a few questions in regards to my son. but first I feel a bit of background is needed first.
my son turned 4 this pad April which puts him just shy of 4 1/2. He spent the his entire 3yr old year in leg braces. He was diagnosed with Blounts and a more recent diagnosis of femoral anteversion. During this time however he participated in a weekly tumblebus class (it is exactly as it sounds, an old school bus converted to basic gymnastic equipment for toddlers) through his preschool. This class has given him basic understanding of technique, rolls, cartwheel, etc. We enrolled him in gymnastics after months of begging the week of July 4th. 2 weeks into the "tots class" he was asked to join boys pre team.

now here are my questions

1) at not even 4 1/2 is he developmentally ready for that?

2) What exactly is the progression, I figure pre-team simply gets him familiar with the apparatuses.

3) he does have Dr clearance to participate but I'm worried he will be "the odd one out" around the gym and at the point of competition (when does that start any way?) because he does things differently. for example he kicks his legs out to the side instead of back when he runs. is this a real concern or just me being a protective mama?

4) 2 coaches approached me seperately yesterday and told me how much natural talent he has for his age and how he could go far, so how much pushing by me and coaches is appropriate for his age.

thank you for your help.

*I am new here so forgive me in advance :)

I see the majority or the posts are in relation to female gymnasts (which is completely understandable) but I have a few questions in regards to my son. but first I feel a bit of background is needed first.
my son turned 4 this pad April which puts him just shy of 4 1/2. He spent the his entire 3yr old year in leg braces. He was diagnosed with Blounts and a more recent diagnosis of femoral anteversion. During this time however he participated in a weekly tumblebus class (it is exactly as it sounds, an old school bus converted to basic gymnastic equipment for toddlers) through his preschool. This class has given him basic understanding of technique, rolls, cartwheel, etc. We enrolled him in gymnastics months of begging the week of July 4th. 2 weeks into the "tots class" he was asked to join boys pre team.

now here are my questions

1) at not even 4 1/2 is he developmentally ready for that?

2) What exactly is the progression, I figure pre-team simply gets him familiar with the apparatuses.

3) he does have Dr clearance to participate but I'm worried he will be "the odd one out" around the gym and at the point of competition (when does that start any way?) because he does things differently. for example he kicks his legs out to the side instead of back when he runs. is this a real concern or just me being a protective mama?

4) 2 coaches approached me seperately yesterday and told me how much natural talent he has for his age and how he could go far, so how much pushing by me and coaches is appropriate for his age.

thank you for your help.

Hi! Welcome to CB. Quite a few boy-gymnast parents on here, too;)

Let's see.. I can't comment at all about his diagnoses and how that might affect his gymnastics, but I will comment generally for boys.

1) Preteam at 4.5 is perfect. If he likes it, then go for it. Rolls, cartwheels, strength, flexibility, swinging, etc, are all great. It's not too early. Pre-team at this age is usually 1-4 hours per week. Maybe 6 on the higher end.

2) Boys can start competing at age 6 in Level 4 (most common level to start gymnastics competition). Levels 1-3 are typically not competed - they are just skills to accomplish, and are really all covered in some kind of 'pre-team' class in most gyms). Other boys start much later and also do just fine. Commonly boys start competing at 8, 9, 10, or even older, and many talented ones will catch up quickly. So you have plenty of time with boys. Mine started competing at age 7 (started gym at age 6).

3) I don't know how different his condition will make him, or how it will affect his gym. If the coaches say he has potential, though, listen to them! LOTS of kids run all funky with crazy arms or legs (mine included - getting better 3 years in ;)). Boys in particular don't often have the "lovely lines" and body control until they age a bit. Don't worry if at 6, 7, 8, or even older he still looks like a bit like a crazy monkey - or frog, or spider, or you get the picture. Boys take time to really get their body to do everything 'elegantly'. Be patient.

4) NO PUSHING. AT ALL. Now go back and read that 100 times. :cool:Now repeat it in front of the mirror 1000 times. No pushing. Just offering the classes, and making sure he is having fun. If you sense he is not having fun, try to figure out why, and feel free to ask people here on CB for a couple (or 53) different opinions to check your gut. Gym should be fun. Of course he should be learning things, but the #1 way to get him to freak out and quit is to pressure him in any way. Seen it too many times now with young boys. Boys generally love to flip, swing, bounce, run, tumble, roll - all the great things he will learn in gymnastics. If he does stay in and join a competitive team, in time he will push himself if he is in love with the sport. For now, just fun. :):)

Hi and welcome to CB! There are lots of boy parents here, but we tend to be a bit quieter ;)

My ds was on preteam at 4 1/2 and it sounds like the right place for him. Make sure he is having fun at gym at this age. It should not be about skill development as much as fun and strength. BOys have a much longer "Career" than girls, and fun is what keeps them there :) Don't push at all. He should be having fun and wanting more :)

Keep asking lots of questions. We are all learning here!

I would not worry, boys gymnastics is very different to girls gymnastics.

Girls gymnastics tends to be very elitist, you see a lot of girls walking around with matching hair dos and not a single hair out of place, in perfectly straight lines, I itating the model of perfection. You won't see this in boys gymastics, there is a lot more room to be different.

Welcome! Not much more to add. Another ds who started fairly young. This year is the first year he'll compete at age 8.

One thing to add to the good advice already given, as your son progresses keep an eye out that the gym and/or coaches don't push ds too hard too young. If they do, just find another gym. This is rare on the men's side but it can happen and it can drive the kids away from a great sport they love.

Reactions: sce
Welcome! another boys mom here (although DD competed for years too)....

Yes to the boys pathway being much more laid back.

Yes to the importance of it being fun for the next 4-5 (or 14-15) years!

Yes to it being ok to do preteam at that age - as long as its fun and there are other kids roughly the same age.

Yes to it being fine for him to run funny, etc...although I would make sure that as he moved along the coaches are aware of his past orthopedic issues and working to make developmentally appropriate corrections - funny run - fine, but landings on tumbling will later have to be carefully worked on to make sure he moves toward proper foot/ankle/knee position or there will be injuries at upper levels...my teen had to limit his tumbling all last comp season due to ankle tendonitis from landing double backs and other powerful tumbling passes with his flat feet improperly flexed/positioned...even with proper coaching...but that's a long way away from cartwheels and jumping in the pit with straight legs, rolling over a cheese mat and swinging on bars at pre-team!

Finally, as a pediatrician, I encourage ALL SORTS of kids to do gymnastics - its just a wonderful way to work on body awareness, waiting your turn, strength, balance, etc....so as long as his doctor says its safe, welcome to the club!

welcome!!! You are so lucky your son loves gymnastics because it is the best sport for everything and anything!
He will become strong and coordinated and will have fun doing it.
I have a son who did it for 10 years and I echo what others have said- it is much more laid back than girls gymnastics.....
4.5 is fine for pre team and boys progress much slower than the girls.
i have seen all kinds of boys compete on team.....one with metal plates in his leg, one blind in one eye, some heavy, some skinny, some tall etc....the boys don't care....

Boy gymnasts are goofs and definitely come in all shapes and sizes, and some clearly have natural ability but a lot do not. Sure at some meets I see teams that I call Stepford teams, with every kid with perfect form and looking very similar even in how they salute the judges, but that is the exception and not the rule. At our gym even at the upper levels you can see the guys who look like super jocks and the guys who are awkward and geeky all work together and get along great, united by their love of gymnastics. It is an exceptional sport in this way.

You might want to check this out with the coaches at your gym, but at our gym whether a kid comes from rec path or pre-team path, they are asked or allowed to try out for team when they are competition age AND the coaches think they may be ready. And the tryouts are kept low key. If your son wants to be in the gym the required hours and is having a good time, then it is entirely fine for him to be on pre-team. If he is not yet interested or ready do those kind of hours, there is the option to keep him in rec for a while longer, maybe doing rec twice a week if he wants.

Just wanted to add that my kiddos both did Tumblebus! Ah, those were the good old days... sitting outside in lawn chairs watching the kids swing by the bus windows. It was, like, $8 for a half-hour session and that seemed like a lot of money! Like I said, the good old days...

Welcome! You should join the mag group. There are quite a few boys parents here. Pre team is a great place to feel out if competitive gymnastics is a good fit for your family. You can always say no and back down hours.

My son was much older when he started gym(bc his sister was getting so buff in gym) I never really thought he was a serious gymnast, but that changed quickly when I saw how he applied himself. He's now 15 training level 10.

At his age, pre team is acceptable, bc boys can compete level 4 at age 6.

Always ask his coaches of you have concerns...see what they are thinking... Good luck!

Another mom of a boy who got into it because of his sister - though in his case, he is the little brother, and was jealous of all the shiny leotards! Gym is a great sport for boys and will probably be extra great for your son with his challenges. The guys who get really into gym do eventually come to see themselves as some kind of special fraternity because so few boys do it. I think it tends to make for a very supportive environment and close knit relationships among team members at most gyms, and even a sense of camaraderie and support that crosses team lines as they get older.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back